Sikkim is one of the beauties in north eastern part of India. It is nicely tucked away and beautifully landlocked with immense natural beauty, it has all the components which would sooth you from the tiredness of vigorous day-to-day activities. To make it a wonderful exploration, here are a few places to visit in Sikkim that must make it to your plan.
1. Tsomgo Lake
Tsomgo lake which is located just 38 km away from the capital city of Sikkim, Gangtok, is among the most popular tourist places in Sikkim. A snaky road through rocky mountain topography and strident mountains which takes you to the Tsomgo Lake is a lot of adventure in itself.
- Migratory ducks like the Brahmini
- The beautiful flowers such as Primulas, Blue and Yellow Poppies, and Irish
- Yaks and ponies ride
Precautions: Start early to avoid late night travel; and roads are not properly laid out
How to reach: A cab ride from Gangtok will take 2 hours
Best time to visit: Jan to Mar – for snow; April to May – for Rhododendrons and Orchids; and Oct to Dec – visit the hills
Sikkim-Gangtok-Darjeeling Holiday Packages On TravelTriangle
Visit Sikkim and explore Yumthang valley, Tsomgo Lake, Gangtok, Nathula Pass, and Pelling. Experience peace and tranquility while exploring Buddhist monasteries, snow-capped mountains, and wildlife sanctuaries. Book packages inclusive of airport transfers, cab, resort, sightseeing, and meals.
Yuksom is an old historic town in west Sikkim bestowed with natural beauty and uninterrupted trail for trekkers. If you are looking forward to spend some quiet moments in the shadow of nature away from the hustle bustle of the city, then this is it.
- The historic Norbugang Park
- Tashi tenka, which was a historic royal palace promises wonderful views
- The oldest monastery the Dubdi Gompa
- Kathok Wodsalin Gompa – a newly constructed monastery, also famous for the statue of Guru Padmasambhava
- Goechala Trek
- Khangchendzonga National Park
Precaution: Poor lighting on the roads
How to reach: 6 to 7 hours by road via Jorethang from Jalpaiguri, the nearest railway stop. The nearest airport is in Bagdogra, 12 km west of Siliguri, about 170km from Yuksom.
Best time to visit: March to June and September to November
3. Nathula Pass
Nathula pass, located in the Himalayas, connects India with Tibet. The pass, at 4,310 m above sea level forms a part of a side-shoot of the prehistoric Silk Road. Definitely one of the places to visit in Sikkim without fail.
- Yak safari
- Border Gates of India and China
- A beautifully built war memorial
- Exhibition Centre of the Indian Army
- Mt Chomolhari
Precautions: Oxygen levels are low; and there could be traffic jams due to adverse weather conditions
How to reach:
Road – 4 to 5 hours by bus from the east of Gangtok (54 km)
Train – Nearest railhead is Siliguri, 165 kms away, and takes 4.5 hours by taxi.
Flight – Nearest airport is at Bagdogra, 190 km from Nathula.
When to visit Nathula: May and October; Opens for Indians only from Wednesday to Sunday
4. Lachung, Lachen and Yumthang Valley
Lachen is a distant village in North Sikkim and the winter home for Tibetan nomadic tribes. Lachung is also a high altitude village of Tibetan and Bhutia people in North Sikkim. And Yumthang is a beautiful valley bounded by snowcapped mountains. All three are extremely beautiful tourist places in Sikkim.
- The picturesque journey from Lachen to Gurudongmar Lake
- Gurudongmar Lake which is often frozen in winters
- The colorful rhododendron bloom
- Lachung Gompa where the largest Buddhist shrine is located
- Lachung Monastery, Handicraft and Lachung Village
- Mt Pandim, Mt Kabru, Mt Simvo, Mt Jopuno, Mt Khangchendzonga and Mt Siniolchu enroute Gangtok Rhododendron Sanctuary
- Sub-zero temperature and 360 degree snowcapped highlands at Yumesamdong / Zero-point
Precaution: Low oxygen levels
How to reach: Take a taxi from the nearest railhead in New Jalpaiguri (Siliguri). The nearest airport is at Bagdogra.
When to visit: March–June is pleasant; and December–January for snowfall
Furrowed by dense forests and outstandingly balanced on a ridge superintending an extensive swish of western Sikkim, Ravangla assures one of the most beautiful mountain views. It is a popular tourist place in Sikkim and draws many nature lovers every year.
- Tathagata Tsal, a Buddhist park
- Mane Choekhorling Gompa
- Pang Lhabsol, which displays religious prayers and songs
- Hikes and treks
Precaution: Forests are very dense, beware of wildlife.
How to reach: Take a cab ride after Jalpaiguri station, which is 94 km from Ravangla
Best time to visit: March–June
Namchi is blessed with fresh air which is fragmented with the aroma of lush flora. The beautiful sight of snowcapped mountains and the woodland mountain valleys adds to the scenery; and makes it an important one among the places to see in Sikkim.
- Khangchendzonga range
- Sherdup Choeling Monastery
- The beautiful tea gardens
- Rock Garden
- Namchi Mahotsav in October
How to reach: Take a cab for 77 km from the Jalpaiguri metro station
Precaution: Roads are not properly laid out
Best time to Visit: March–June and October–November
Zuluk is a small village located at a high altitude and has a very empowering history due to its connection with the Silk Route. It promises great views of the snowcapped mountain ranges especially during winter.
- Nag temple
- Mt Kanchenjungha
- Thambi View Point
Precautions: Be prepared for a foggy climate
How to reach: Take a cab ride for 91 km from Jalpaiguri railway station
Best Time to Visit: August and September
8. Teesta River
A different one among places to visit in Sikkim, Teesta River is stunning to look at when it is frozen in winters. During spring however the river is shimmering in the sun rays and displays a perfect habitat for blooming flowers.
- River rafting and kayaking during the summers
- Bird spotting
- Lush green fauna and flower beds on the banks
- Sangam of river teesta with it tributary the Rangeet River
- Dikchu bridge on way to Lachung
Precautions: River can get a little rough and ice pieces are often found
How to reach: Take a cab for 33 km from Darjeeling railway station
Best time to visit: April–May; and November
Gangtok is the capital city of Sikkim and has loads of gems in its kitty; you would be awestruck by the never ending walking trails, gorgeous silver-fir trees and most importantly the hospitality by the locals. Make sure it is on your list of places to visit in Sikkim.
- Paragliding in the valley
- Jhakri Falls and Kyongnosla Water Falls
- Yak ride
- Lively nightlife
- Snowcapped ranges of Mt Kachendzonga
- Bird eye view from the rope way
- Enchey Monastery
How to reach: Take a cab for 148 km from New Jalpaiguri railway statio. Bagdogra airport is 124 km away
Best time to Visit: October to June
Looking To Book A Holiday Package?
Book memorable holidays on TravelTriangle with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.