A place where five rivers flow through its plains, a place where history has been treasured and a place where food is cherished in its culture – is a place called Punjab. Lying in the northern region of India, Punjab holds religious and historical importance with sites like Golden Temples and Jallianwala Bagh. But how did the covid-era impact such important sites? This post-covid travel guide to Punjab tells all.
This will cover Punjab travel guidelines and answer important questions like – “Is Punjab open for tourism.”
Punjab Travel Advisory During Covid
Punjab, like Kerala, was one of the few states in India to fare better in terms of battling Covid-19. Thanks to restrictions and good medical facilities, the active case count of Punjab is approximately 7,000 and with a high recovery rate, the number is expected to come down soon. However, for the numbers to come down, there need to be a few restrictions. So, here are the latest Punjab government guidelines on Covid-19:
- Medical screening would be done for each and every passenger entering Punjab.
- Night curfew will be observed in all the districts, from 9 pm – 5 am.
- All the political gatherings are banned in the state.
- Weekend lockdown imposed in the state.
- Restaurants and hotels will remain open but only for home delivery from Monday to Saturday till further notice.
- Unnecessary travel from 9 pm – 5 am is prohibited.
- Large public gatherings have been banned.
- Register on the COVA Punjab app before traveling into the state.
- The government might conduct random tests on tourists.
Must Read: 10 Festivals Of Punjab You Must Experience To Get The Real Essence Of The Rich Culture
Best Time To Visit
It is recommended that you visit Punjab in the winters as summers could be too hot and the rainy season is not that pleasant. Winters, however, are very much pleasant and the perfect weather to explore Punjab. The months of October to March would be ideal to plan a trip to Punjab.
How To Reach
It is inevitable to expect the transportation options in a post-covid travel guide to Punjab. So, if you are looking to go by air, the airports at Ludhiana, Patiala, Amritsar and Chandigarh will serve your needs. Indian Railways is also running special trains to Amritsar, Pathankot, Ludhiana, Jalandhar and other major cities in Punjab. The state is also well connected via roadways and Punjab transport corporation is running buses throughout the state.
Suggested Read: Visit These 9 Revered Temples In Punjab To Seek A Profound Experience!
Punjab travel advisory dictates that intrastate movement of goods and services will be allowed. 12 bus operators have already started operations in a phased manner. All public transportation will have 50% occupancy and wearing of masks is necessary. Currently, there are no other restrictions on intrastate travel.
Suggested Read: Rock Garden In Chandigarh: Know Why It’s Punjab’s Most Popular Tourist Attraction!
Places To Visit In Punjab During Coronavirus
There are many places to visit in Punjab during covid 19 because the state has gradually opened up. Although night curfews are on, getting by the attractions, monuments, heritage buildings and sites are easy to explore during the day. Some of the top ones to include on your post-covid travel to Punjab are Amritsar, Chandigarh, Jalandhar, Ludhiana and Pathankot. They have a lot of historical sites, lakes, and museums where you can easily maintain social distancing and explore.
Things To Do In Punjab During Coronavirus
Is there a limit to exploring the things to do in Punjab during covid 19? Well, not exactly. By following the rules and regulations set by the government, you can easily do what you want and be safe. Pathankot has set up a Nature Awareness Camp to attract tourists. You can go there as there will be less crowd and social distancing could be easily maintained. Other than that, visiting the Golden Temple, the wildlife sanctuaries and lakes would also keep you away from crowds and allow you to explore.
Suggested Read: 15 Famous Places To Visit Near Golden Temple Which Will Give A Glimpse Of Punjab
With tourism opening up in a gradual phased manner, it is inevitable that accommodation like hotels, cottages, homestays and resorts in Amritsar and Chandigarh, the two main cities also cater to the tourists. The Punjab covid-19 travel guidelines mention that in case of emergencies, hotels will be required to make all arrangements. Regular touching points would be sanitized, the staff would be thermally checked and the accommodation will provide sanitizers and masks. There are many places to stay in Punjab during covid that offer the best service too like Radisson Blu Hotel Ludhiana, Fairfield by Marriott Amritsar, Best Western La Vista Pathankot and many others.
Suggested Read: Catch A Glimpse Of Phillaur Fort Ludhiana: A Symbol Of Punjab’s Rich Heritage
Just like the accommodations, the restaurants in cities like Jalandhar, Amritsar and Patiala have also re-opened following government regulations. You can enjoy a delicious bite of food but you need to wear masks before entering the restaurant. The restaurants have been advised to thermally check each and every customer and the tables have sanitizers and tissues.
Suggested Read: Explore These Stunning Temples In Ludhiana That Are An Architectural Marvel Of The Culture In Punjab!
What To Pack
With few Punjab travel restrictions, you can freely pack your stuff. However, safety must be your priority. So, here are a few things to carry while travelling to Punjab during covid 19:
- Carry your usual meds in case you are undergoing any treatment along with the prescription.
- A first-aid kit with the mandatory items to get you through the trip would be advisable.
- Take suitable masks, disposable gloves, and sanitizers are mandatory.
- Pack light, but pack cotton clothes to change easily and regularly during covid times.
- Insect repellent is a must for everyone.
- Pre-book your flights and hotel.
- Register on the official portal at the COVA app before entering the state.
- Keep your covid-negative test result or certificate handy as a proof to submit on arrival in the state. However, if you are not carrying this, then might be randomly tested
- Download the Aarogya Setu app on your mobile.
Covid-19 Prerequisites And Consequences In Punjab
- Make sure you go through the thermal screening at the airport.
- On showing any covid-19 symptoms, people traveling whether solo or in a group, will have to go through PCR testing and isolate accordingly.
Further Travel Tips
Apart from the general Punjab travel tips, here are some tips that will keep your health and safety in check:
- Carry and wear your mask throughout your travel period.
- Keep extra sanitizers, masks, and wipes for back up.
- Do not fail to follow social distancing.
- Even if you are tested negative in PCR testing, make sure you avoid the crowded areas.
- Enjoyment is important but keep your health check in place by following rules.
Further Read: Moorish Mosque: Why You Should Visit This Historic Gem In Punjab
So, we hope that this post-covid travel guide to Punjab will help you with your travel plans. If anyway, you are looking to plan a Punjab trip, then make sure togor through the official guidelines for a detailed look at the guidelines. Finally, when you visit, do not forget to maintain social distancing, wear masks and share your post-covid journey with us!
Disclaimer: TravelTriangle claims no credit for images featured on our blog site unless otherwise noted. All visual content is copyrighted to its respectful owners. We try to link back to original sources whenever possible. If you own the rights to any of the images, and do not wish them to appear on TravelTriangle, please contact us and they will be promptly removed. We believe in providing proper attribution to the original author, artist or photographer.
Please Note: Any information published by TravelTriangle in any form of content is not intended to be a substitute for any kind of medical advice, and one must not take any action before consulting a professional medical expert of their own choice.
People Also Read:
Road Travel During COVID-19 Essentials For Travel During COVID Countries That Lifted Travel Ban On Couples