Have you ever been to the south? If yes, you’d know what a gem Tamil Nadu is. If you haven’t, it’s time you think about taking a trip now because the state is home to a lot of beautiful places. In fact, even drop dead gorgeous would be an underexpression to describe the beauty of the best tourist places in Tamil Nadu. These places are brimming with beautiful temples, serene beaches, spectacular forts & waterfalls, and more, which only means that there are multiple excuses for you to pack your bags and head for a tour!
But before you start planning a tour, scroll through this list of 20 top tourist places in Tamil Nadu, which are absolutely worth exploring:
Must-visit Tourist Places In Tamil Nadu
Looking for some of the best tourist places in Tamil Nadu? Check out the below list and choose the best for your next trip.
1. Chennai – Cultural Centre
Being the capital of the state and a home to beautiful temples, churches, and beaches, Chennai is one Tamil Nadu tourist place that would let you have a real glimpse of South India and its lifestyle. If culture, history, or art lies anywhere under your interest list, this is a place you should definitely consider visiting!
Best Time to Visit Chennai: November to February
- Shop for sarees, jewelry, and other handicrafts at Pondy Bazaar, Anna Salai, or Mylapore
- Spend time at Marina Beach
- Indulge in the famous local food, and party at The Westminster or 10 Downing Street
South Weekend Holiday Packages On TravelTriangle
A trip to South India has a lot to offer – from tranquillity of forests to charm of sizzling beaches and from lost kingdoms to chills of a hill station. Visit Kerala, Coorg, Ooty, Mysore, or Kodaikanal. Book holiday packages inclusive of airport transfers, cab, resort, sightseeing, and meals.
2. Pondicherry – French Colony
Also known as Puducherry, this is an ideal place for explorers, beach lovers, and experience-seekers interested in French culture and architecture. If you have had too much of Goa already or even if you haven’t, it’s time you witness the charm of Pondy!
Best Time to Visit Pondicherry: October to March
- Visit the famous Aurobindo Ashram
- Indulge in watersports at Paradise Beach
- Savour croissants, baguettes, and other famous French cuisine
3. Mudumalai – Ancient Hills
Located in the Nilgiri hills, Mudumalai is one of the best tourist places in Tamil Nadu, which is known for its wildlife persona. For anyone who loves an encounter with nature in the most unique way, the national park here is a must visit.
Best Time to Visit Mudumalai: October to May
- Spot tigers, leopards, golden jackals, and more at Mudumalai National Park
- Capture the beautiful landscapes
- Interact with elephants at the Theppakadu Elephant Camp
4. Dhanushkodi – Beautiful Abandoned Town
If you are someone who’s on a constant lookout for places that are away from the city life, Dhanushkodi is one of the best places to visit in Tamil Nadu. This beach town’s grandeur and beauty make for a perfect recipe for your next refreshing getaway!
Best Time to Visit Dhanushkodi: October to February
- Unwind and relax at the Dhanushkodi Beach
- Savour the gorgeous views from the Adam’s Bridge
- Visit the Gulf of Mannar Marine National Park
Suggested Read: 5 Homestays In Chennai For A True Tamilian Hospitality
5. Hogenakkal – Gorgeous Waterfalls
Of all the best places to visit in Tamil Nadu, Hogenakkal is a hometown of gorgeous waterfalls. Situated in Dharampuri, this small village is an absolute hotspot for romantic getaways, a short family vacay, and even an offbeat trip with your friends.
Best Time to Visit Hogenakkal: September to March
- Be spellbound by the famous Hogenakkal Falls
- Visit the Melagiri Hills
- Go temple hopping, and explore the Pennagram Village
6. Tuticorin – Stunning Beaches
This is one place in South India that lets you witness the best of everything at one place. From boasting a beautiful beach, a spectacular wildlife sanctuary to numerous temples & churches, Tuticorin makes sure that every moment of your holiday outshines the previous one.
Best Time to Visit Tuticorin: November to March
- Visit the Kalakkad Wildlife Sanctuary
- Explore the temples, and unwind on the beaches
- Relish sweets like Tuticorin macaroons
7. Kanyakumari – Southernmost Tip Of India
Famous for being one of the most exotic places in India, Kanyakumari is a paradise for experience-seekers. The art, architecture of temples, and even the local cuisine that reflects every bit of its culture will leave you fascinated!
Best Time to Visit Kanyakumari: October to March
- Go on an excursion tour to Kumari Amman Temple or to the Vattakottai Fort.
- Relax at Sanguthurai Beach or the Sothavilai Beach
- Visit the famous Vivekananda Rock Memorial
8. Trichy – Historical Temples
Trichy is one of the fastest emerging cities in Tami Nadu that can be easily explored in a weekend. It offers multiple places for tourists to visit, like temples, churches. Each brings an amazing uniqueness along with it that will be etched in your heart for a long time.
Best Time To Visit Trichy: October to February
- Explore the gorgeous Puliyancholai Waterfalls
- Visit the ancient Kallanai Dam and enjoy the mesmerizing view
9. Nagapattinam – Renowned Pilgrimage Site
Nagapattinam is a renowned pilgrimage centre with several places of historical significance. The place has many temples, churches and mosques spread all over which attracts tourists from far across the globe.
Best Time To Visit Nagapattinam: October to February
- Spend some peaceful time at the long stretch of beach
- Enjoy Divya Desam, the Sapta Vidangar and the sacred town of Velankanni nearby
- Explore the beautiful architecture at the Dutch Fort
10. Vellore – The Fort City
Primarily known for two premier institutions, Christain Medical College and Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore is an ancient city located in the northeastern part of Tamil Nadu. The city has been aptly named the Fort City due to the enchanting fort located in the heart of the city.
Best Time To Visit Vellore: October to February
- Visit the marvelous fort and St. John’s church
- Spend some quality time at Periyar Park
11. Pollachi – Popular Tollywood Destination
Pollachi is located down south in Coimbatore. It is a famous filming spot because of its blissful scenery. The place attracts tourists because of famous attractions like Topslip Tiger reserve and Annamalai wildlife sanctuary.
Best Time To Visit Pollachi: December to February
- Jungle trekking and bamboo rafting at the Parambikulam Tiger Reserve
- Visit dams and adorn jaggery, coconut, and vegetable fields
12. Yanam – Unique Culture And History
Yanam is a small city in the district of Puducherry, India. The place is famous for its interesting history and culture. One can enjoy the sunrise and sunset view from the viewpoint and visit a few holy temples spread around the city. The city also has some old churches with a touch of French architecture.
Best Time To Visit Yanam: June to September
- Explore the history and the unique culture
- Visit the Rajiv Gandhi Beach for amazing sunrise and sunset views
13. Tranquebar – A Tranquil Beach Town
Tranquebar is a tranquil destination known as the land of the singing waves. This tiny beach town dates back to the 14th century with the establishment of the Shiva Temple built in 1306. The place has definitely a lot of history and architecture to enjoy.
Best Time To Visit Tranquebar: November to March
- Visit the Fort Dansborg
- One of India’s first printing presses at Ziegenbalg Museum Complex on Admiral Street
Historical and Religious Tourist Places In Tamil Nadu
Discover the best pilgrimage sites and religious temples in Tamil Nadu. Known as the temple city of India, there are various significant temples.
14. Madurai – Stunning Architecture
Constructed like a lotus, Madurai is mostly popular for its Meenakshi Temple. This city is definitely one of the top tourist places in Tamil Nadu to visit on your next trip if you admire great architecture or are religious at heart.
Best Time to Visit Madurai: December to February
- Go temple hopping, and spend time at the famous Meenakshi and Thiruparankundram Temples
- Explore the Gandhi Museum
- Visit the Vaigai Dam
15. Chidambaram – Gorgeous Temple Town
A beautiful temple town, Chidambaram is situated in the eastern part of Tamil Nadu. The glorious history, rich culture, and diverse traditions of this city have the magic of leaving anyone in awe. A trip to this town is perfect if you’re a history buff, or have a thirst for knowledge.
Best Time to Visit Chidambaram: October to March
- Visit the Pichavaram Backwaters and Mangrove Forests
- Indulge in delectable Tamil cuisines like idli, vadai, and more
- Visit the famous Nataraja Temple
16. Mahabalipuram – Magnificent Carved Temples
Popular for its intricately carved temples and caves, Mahabalipuram is another gem to marvel at in Tamil Nadu. The city has beautiful beaches, magnificent architecture, soothing weather, and offers a refreshing experience to every kind of tourist.
Best Time to Visit Mahabalipuram: November to February
- Rejuvenate on the Mahabalipuram Beach
- Visit the famous Five Rathas and Shore Temple
- Explore Kovalam and Sadras, the fishing villages turned into exotic beach resorts
17. Rameshwaram – Temple Hopping
Situated on an island, this is one of the holiest places in India. The town is separated by a Pamban bridge from Sri Lanka, and is a perfect place to explore if temple hopping is the sole purpose of your trip.
Best Time to Visit Rameswaram: October to April
- Visit the famous five-faced Hanuman Temple
- Witness the poojas at Agniteertham
- Visit the Dhanushkodi Temple and Beach
18. Thanjavur – Centre Of Art
Of all the best tourist places in Tamil Nadu, Thanjavur has a lot to offer when it comes to experiences. This city of temples boast paintings, antiques, handicrafts, textiles, and sarees, which are amongst the popular things to be admired around.
Best Time to Visit Thanjavur: October to March
- Visit the popular Brihadeeshwara Temple
- Explore the Siva Ganga Garden, Palace & Saraswathi Mahal Library
- Admire the grandeur of the Vijayanagar Fort
Suggested Read: Kodaikanal vs Ooty For Honeymoon: What’s Your Pick?
19. Velankanni – Beautiful Coastal Town
While you may not have heard of Velankanni before like most of the other cities in the state, this place is absolutely worth your time and visit. It is a gorgeous coastal town popular for a spectacular church that was built in the honour of Mother Mary.
Best Time to Visit Velankanni: October to March
- Visit the famous Basilica of Our Lady of Good Health
- Unwind and relax at the Velankanni Beach
- Explore the town and the museum at Holy Path
20. Kanchipuram – Pretty Kanchipuram Sarees
Kanchipuram is also known as the Golden City of a thousand temples. This popular tourist attraction is known for its beautiful ‘’Kanchipuram sarees’. Tourists who are interested in Hinduism or just want to catch a glimpse of the beautiful South Indian architecture, visit this place.
Best Time To Visit Kanchipuram: October to March
- Visit Kanchi Kamakshi Temple and Kailasanathar Temple
- Attend South Indian classical music concerts in the evenings
- Indulge in shopping of Kanchipuram sarees
21. Coimbatore – A Major Textile Hub
Coimbatore is one of the largest cities of Tamil Nadu, famous for its industry, textiles and manufacturing. For a perfect holiday experience, the place offers you gorgeous waterfalls, ancient temples and breathtaking mountains.
Best Time To Visit Coimbatore: July to March
- Visit the the Maruthamalai Murugan Temple, Eachanari Vinayagar Temple, the Sree Ayyappan Temple
- Enjoy exciting trekking trails such as the Vellari Mala, the Dhoni Hills, the Perumal Peak, and the Thalaiyar Falls trek
- Visit the famous 112 feet tall statue of Lord Shiva, known as the Adiyogi Shiva Statue
22. Tirunelveli – Scenic Beauty
Located on the west bank of the Thamirabarani River, Tirunelveli offers many exciting tourist attractions like breathtaking waterfalls, scenic beauty, temples and much more. Along with many religious places, the city also has some wonderful delicacies you can try.
Best Time To Visit Tirunelveli: October to February
- Visit Nellaiappar Temple and Nellaiappar Temple
- Enjoy the scenic beauty at Nainar Kulam Lake
Suggested Read: 7 Places You Must Explore In The Wonderful Vellore
23. Kumbakonam – Historic Beauty
Kumbakonam is a beautiful temple town in the Thanjavur district. It is a must-visit place for history lovers to understand the depth of India’s culture and Hinduism. This is also one of the oldest towns in the Indian history known for its famous temples.
Best Time To Visit Kumbakonam: December to February
- Visit the grand festival called Mahamaham festival which is celebrated every twelve years at the Mahamaham Tank
- Shop in the town for indigenous products
- Visit the various famous temples such as Adi Kumbeshwara Temple
Best Hill Stations In Tamil Nadu
Check our pick of the best hill stations along with an ideal time to visit.
24. Ooty – Queen Of Hill Stations
Situated in the Nilgiris district of Tamil Nadu, Ooty is one of the most popular cool tourist places in Tamil Nadu. It has a gorgeous backdrop of the hills and greenery, which makes it a great destination for both honeymooners and family.
Best Time to Visit Ooty: March to June
- Visit the popular Ooty Lake
- Take a scenic toy train ride
- Explore the Botanical Gardens
25. Kodaikanal – Breathtaking Natural Beauty
Adorned with dense forests, huge rocks, and beautiful waterfalls, Kodaikanal is a perfect romantic tourist place to visit with your loved one. We can bet that the picturesque beauty of this town would add stars to your holiday experience, making it only more memorable!
Best Time to Visit Kodaikanal: March to June and December to February
- Indulge in boating at Kodai Lake
- Enjoy horse riding while you savour the scenic views
- Visit the Pillar rocks and the Palni Hills
26. Coonoor – Thrilling Joyride
Situated at an altitude of 1,930 metres, Coonoor is gradually becoming one of the top cool tourist places in Tamil Nadu. It offers a panoramic view of the Nilgiri Hills and the Catherine Falls, which makes it an ideal hotspot for those whose heart belong in the hills!
Best Time to Visit Coonoor: October to March
- Savour the breathtaking views from Dolphin’s Nose
- Trek to the famous Doddabetta Mountain
- Visit the beautiful Sim’s Park
Suggested Read: 10 Places To Visit In Ooty That Are Fun & Incredibly Spectacular
27. Yelagiri – Exciting Adventure Activities
Trekking in the hills has its own joy and fun. Situated at an elevation of 4,626 feet, Yelagiri is a perfect Tamil Nadu tourist place surrounded by green valleys, orchards, and rose gardens. This is an ideal place to visit with a loved one, and even your friends if adventure is on your mind!
Best Time to Visit Yelagiri: May to June and November to February
- Trek to Swami Malai Hills through the lush green forests
- Visit the Jalagamparai Falls
- Indulge in paragliding, mountain climbing, etc.
28. Yercaud – Ooty Of Poor People
Situated close to the Eastern Ghats, Yercaud is a gorgeous hill station in Tamil Nadu. This place is a must visit for its vast evergreen forests, rich coffee plantations, and unique flora and fauna. From trekking to admiring the beauty of the famous attractions, there’s a lot you can do here.
Best Time to Visit Yercaud: October to June
- Visit the popular Emerald Lake
- Take a tour of attractions like Anna Park, Japanese Park, Bear’s Cave, and more
- Enjoy the gorgeous view of the hills from the Lady’s Seat
29. Kotagiri – Captivating Waterfalls
Situated in the Nilgiris, this place is a small town known for having one of the best climates in the world. With captivating waterfalls and rich wildlife, Kotagiri is one of the summer tourist places in Tamil Nadu you must visit during your trip to the state.
Best Time to Visit Kotagiri: November to May
- Visit the mesmerizing Elk Falls
- Wildlife spotting at Longwood Shola
- Indulge in a picturesque trekking trail from Kotagiri to Kodanad
30. Valparai – Beautiful Hill Station
Valparai is a beautiful hill station, situated in the mesmerizing Anamalai Hill Range. Apart from being a part of Indira Gandhi Wildlife Sanctuary, the town also has a decent number of tea and coffee estates surrounded by forests. It’s the place to be if you believe in staying close to nature, and closer to yourself!
Best Time to Visit Valparai: September to March
- Go on a backpacking tour to the famous Anamalai Hills
- Visit Nallamudi Viewpoint
- Explore the Sholayar Dam, Monkey Falls, Balaji Temple, and more
Further Read: 14 Picnic Spots In And Around Chennai
While these 20 best tourist places in Tamil Nadu are famous for their own attractions, each one of them is worth your time, money, and visit for experiencing the best of the south! Plan your trip to Tamil Nadu right away and have an awesome vacay.
Frequently Asked Questions About Best Tourist Places In Tamil Nadu
A. Tamil Nadu is home to numerous popular attractions such as temples, forts, and ancient remains. Apart from the attractions, the place exhibits the true and rich culture of India. You can taste the actual south Indian cuisine here.
A. There are numerous cool places in Tamil Nadu but the following are the most popular amongst them:
7. Kolli Hills
8. Anamalai Hills
10. Velliangiri Hilla
A. Tamil Nadu is home to numerous beautiful places that offer something unique to its visitors. The most popular beautiful places in Tamil Nadu are:
A. Tamil Nadu is famous for its illuminating temples, rice culture, glorious history, and artists and actors. The most famous temples in Tamil Nadu are located in Tanjore, Madurai, and Kanchi. The place also exhibits the remains of three dynasties of the past, that is Cholas, Pallavas, and Pandyas.
A. If you are planning a visit to Tamil Nadu then you must know that Chennai, the capital city is a hub of shopping. The following are the most popular Chennai shopping items-
1. Pure mulberry silk
2. Classical dance accessories
3. Cool cotton fabrics
4. Pandian bangles and accessories
6. Ladies’ ornaments
A. The most popular places for shopping in Tamil Nadu are
1. Phoenix Mall
2. xpress Avenue
3. Ampa Skywalk
4. Nalli Silks
8. Cotton Street
10. Pondy Bazaar
11. Moore Market.
A. In Tamil Nadu, Tiruchirapalli is considered to be the cleanest district and therefore is one of the most admired places in this state of India by locals as well as tourists.
A. There’s not just one but a number of cities that are considered the best in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. These are the ones that are renowned as the best here:
A. There are a number of hill stations in Tamil Nadu that are:
3. Kolli Hills
7. Velliangiri Hills
A. There are a number of places in Tamil Nadu that are ideal for a honeymoon vacay. Some of them are:
A. Tamil Nadu is essentially a safe Indian state but Coimbatore here is considered to be the safest city here. The city is safe for the solo female travelers as well. However, one needs to be cautious enough when traveling solo.
A. The capital city Chennai is known for its vibrant eclectic culture, which is worth witnessing. The city is famous by the name ‘Gateway to the South India’ and considered significantly different from the other cities in India.
Looking To Book A Holiday Package?
Book memorable holidays on TravelTriangle with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.
People Also Read: