Have you ever been to the south? If yes, you’d know what a gem Tamil Nadu is. If you haven’t, it’s time you think about taking a trip now because the state is home to a lot of beautiful places. In fact, even drop dead gorgeous would be an underexpression to describe the beauty of the best tourist places in Tamil Nadu. These places are brimming with beautiful temples, serene beaches, spectacular forts & waterfalls, and more, which only means that there are multiple excuses for you to pack your bags and head for a tour!
But before you start planning a tour, scroll through this list of 20 top tourist places in Tamil Nadu, which are absolutely worth exploring:
Must-visit Tourist Places In Tamil Nadu
Being the capital of the state and a home to beautiful temples, churches, and beaches, Chennai is one Tamil Nadu tourist place that would let you have a real glimpse of South India and its lifestyle. If culture, history, or art lies anywhere under your interest list, this is a place you should definitely consider visiting!
Best Time to Visit Chennai: November to February
- Shop for sarees, jewelry, and other handicrafts at Pondy Bazaar, Anna Salai, or Mylapore
- Spend time at Marina Beach
- Indulge in the famous local food, and party at The Westminster or 10 Downing Street
South Weekend Holiday Packages On TravelTriangle
A trip to South India has a lot to offer – from tranquillity of forests to charm of sizzling beaches and from lost kingdoms to chills of a hill station. Visit Kerala, Coorg, Ooty, Mysore, or Kodaikanal. Book holiday packages inclusive of airport transfers, cab, resort, sightseeing, and meals.
Also known as Puducherry, this is an ideal place for explorers, beach lovers, and experience-seekers interested in French culture and architecture. If you have had too much of Goa already or even if you haven’t, it’s time you witness the charm of Pondy!
Best Time to Visit Pondicherry: October to March
- Visit the famous Aurobindo Ashram
- Indulge in watersports at Paradise Beach
- Savour croissants, baguettes, and other famous French cuisine
Located in the Nilgiri hills, Mudumalai is one of the best tourist places in Tamil Nadu, which is known for its wildlife persona. For anyone who loves an encounter with nature in the most unique way, the national park here is a must visit.
Best Time to Visit Mudumalai: October to May
- Spot tigers, leopards, golden jackals, and more at Mudumalai National Park
- Capture the beautiful landscapes
- Interact with elephants at the Theppakadu Elephant Camp
If you are someone who’s on a constant lookout for places that are away from the city life, Dhanushkodi is one of the best places to visit in Tamil Nadu. This beach town’s grandeur and beauty make for a perfect recipe for your next refreshing getaway!
Best Time to Visit Dhanushkodi: October to February
- Unwind and relax at the Dhanushkodi Beach
- Savour the gorgeous views from the Adam’s Bridge
- Visit the Gulf of Mannar Marine National Park
Of all the best places to visit in Tamil Nadu, Hogenakkal is a hometown of gorgeous waterfalls. Situated in Dharampuri, this small village is an absolute hotspot for romantic getaways, a short family vacay, and even an offbeat trip with your friends.
Best Time to Visit Hogenakkal: September to March
- Be spellbound by the famous Hogenakkal Falls
- Visit the Melagiri Hills
- Go temple hopping, and explore the Pennagram Village
This is one place in South India that lets you witness the best of everything at one place. From boasting a beautiful beach, a spectacular wildlife sanctuary to numerous temples & churches, Tuticorin makes sure that every moment of your holiday outshines the previous one.
Best Time to Visit Tuticorin: November to March
- Visit the Kalakkad Wildlife Sanctuary
- Explore the temples, and unwind on the beaches
- Relish sweets like Tuticorin macaroons
Famous for being one of the most exotic places in India, Kanyakumari is a paradise for experience-seekers. The art, architecture of temples, and even the local cuisine that reflects every bit of its culture will leave you fascinated!
Best Time to Visit Kanyakumari: October to March
- Go on an excursion tour to Kumari Amman Temple or to the Vattakottai Fort.
- Relax at Sanguthurai Beach or the Sothavilai Beach
- Visit the famous Vivekananda Rock Memorial
Historical and Religious Tourist Places In Tamil Nadu
Constructed like a lotus, Madurai is mostly popular for its Meenakshi Temple. This city is definitely one of the top tourist places in Tamil Nadu to visit on your next trip if you admire great architecture or are religious at heart.
Best Time to Visit Madurai: December to February
- Go temple hopping, and spend time at the famous Meenakshi and Thiruparankundram Temples
- Explore the Gandhi Museum
- Visit the Vaigai Dam
A beautiful temple town, Chidambaram is situated in the eastern part of Tamil Nadu. The glorious history, rich culture, and diverse traditions of this city have the magic of leaving anyone in awe. A trip to this town is perfect if you’re a history buff, or have a thirst for knowledge.
Best Time to Visit Chidambaram: October to March
- Visit the Pichavaram Backwaters and Mangrove Forests
- Indulge in delectable Tamil cuisines like idli, vadai, and more
- Visit the famous Nataraja Temple
Popular for its intricately carved temples and caves, Mahabalipuram is another gem to marvel at in Tamil Nadu. The city has beautiful beaches, magnificent architecture, soothing weather, and offers a refreshing experience to every kind of tourist.
Best Time to Visit Mahabalipuram: November to February
- Rejuvenate on the Mahabalipuram Beach
- Visit the famous Five Rathas and Shore Temple
- Explore Kovalam and Sadras, the fishing villages turned into exotic beach resorts
Situated on an island, this is one of the holiest places in India. The town is separated by a Pamban bridge from Sri Lanka, and is a perfect place to explore if temple hopping is the sole purpose of your trip.
Best Time to Visit Rameswaram: October to April
- Visit the famous five-faced Hanuman Temple
- Witness the poojas at Agniteertham
- Visit the Dhanushkodi Temple and Beach
Of all the best tourist places in Tamil Nadu, Thanjavur has a lot to offer when it comes to experiences. This city of temples boast paintings, antiques, handicrafts, textiles, and sarees, which are amongst the popular things to be admired around.
Best Time to Visit Thanjavur: October to March
- Visit the popular Brihadeeshwara Temple
- Explore the Siva Ganga Garden, Palace & Saraswathi Mahal Library
- Admire the grandeur of the Vijayanagar Fort
Suggested Read: Kodaikanal vs Ooty For Honeymoon: What’s Your Pick?
While you may not have heard of Velankanni before like most of the other cities in the state, this place is absolutely worth your time and visit. It is a gorgeous coastal town popular for a spectacular church that was built in the honour of Mother Mary.
Best Time to Visit Velankanni: October to March
- Visit the famous Basilica of Our Lady of Good Health
- Unwind and relax at the Velankanni Beach
- Explore the town and the museum at Holy Path
Best Hill Stations In Tamil Nadu
Situated in the Nilgiris district of Tamil Nadu, Ooty is one of the most popular cool tourist places in Tamil Nadu. It has a gorgeous backdrop of the hills and greenery, which makes it a great destination for both honeymooners and family.
Best Time to Visit Ooty: March to June
- Visit the popular Ooty Lake
- Take a scenic toy train ride
- Explore the Botanical Gardens
Adorned with dense forests, huge rocks, and beautiful waterfalls, Kodaikanal is a perfect romantic tourist place to visit with your loved one. We can bet that the picturesque beauty of this town would add stars to your holiday experience, making it only more memorable!
Best Time to Visit Kodaikanal: March to June and December to February
- Indulge in boating at Kodai Lake
- Enjoy horse riding while you savour the scenic views
- Visit the Pillar rocks and the Palni Hills
Situated at an altitude of 1,930 metres, Coonoor is gradually becoming one of the top cool tourist places in Tamil Nadu. It offers a panoramic view of the Nilgiri Hills and the Catherine Falls, which makes it an ideal hotspot for those whose heart belong in the hills!
Best Time to Visit Coonoor: October to March
- Savour the breathtaking views from Dolphin’s Nose
- Trek to the famous Doddabetta Mountain
- Visit the beautiful Sim’s Park
Suggested Read: 10 Places To Visit In Ooty That Are Fun & Incredibly Spectacular
Trekking in the hills has its own joy and fun. Situated at an elevation of 4,626 feet, Yelagiri is a perfect Tamil Nadu tourist place surrounded by green valleys, orchards, and rose gardens. This is an ideal place to visit with a loved one, and even your friends if adventure is on your mind!
Best Time to Visit Yelagiri: May to June and November to February
- Trek to Swami Malai Hills through the lush green forests
- Visit the Jalagamparai Falls
- Indulge in paragliding, mountain climbing, etc.
Situated close to the Eastern Ghats, Yercaud is a gorgeous hill station in Tamil Nadu. This place is a must visit for its vast evergreen forests, rich coffee plantations, and unique flora and fauna. From trekking to admiring the beauty of the famous attractions, there’s a lot you can do here.
Best Time to Visit Yercaud: October to June
- Visit the popular Emerald Lake
- Take a tour of attractions like Anna Park, Japanese Park, Bear’s Cave, and more
- Enjoy the gorgeous view of the hills from the Lady’s Seat
Situated in the Nilgiris, this place is a small town known for having one of the best climates in the world. With captivating waterfalls and rich wildlife, Kotagiri is one of the summer tourist places in Tamil Nadu you must visit during your trip to the state.
Best Time to Visit Kotagiri: November to May
- Visit the mesmerizing Elk Falls
- Wildlife spotting at Longwood Shola
- Indulge in a picturesque trekking trail from Kotagiri to Kodanad
Valparai is a beautiful hill station, situated in the mesmerizing Anamalai Hill Range. Apart from being a part of Indira Gandhi Wildlife Sanctuary, the town also has a decent number of tea and coffee estates surrounded by forests. It’s the place to be if you believe in staying close to nature, and closer to yourself!
Best Time to Visit Valparai: September to March
- Go on a backpacking tour to the famous Anamalai Hills
- Visit Nallamudi Viewpoint
- Explore the Sholayar Dam, Monkey Falls, Balaji Temple, and more
Further Read: 14 Picnic Spots In And Around Chennai
While these 20 best tourist places in Tamil Nadu are famous for their own attractions, each one of them is worth your time, money, and visit for experiencing the best of the south!
Looking To Book A Holiday Package?
Book memorable holidays on TravelTriangle with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.