Books and movies teleport you to a dreamy fantasy land. We bet there have been times when you wished to escape to landscapes from your favorite films or books – from Hogwarts and Hogsmeade to the Shire; and from Pandora to Arkham. If you’ve dreamt of them to exist for real, we’ve got good new for you!
Scroll down to see a list of 20 places (among many others), from the fantasy world that you thought never existed, but they actually do. While some of these have been used as it is, others have been digitally created in the settings of the mentioned destinations.
Straight from the Dreamy Disneyland
1. Elsa’s Ice Palace from Frozen VS Hotel de Glace in Canada
2. Kingdom of Arendelle from Frozen VS Nærøyfjord in Norway
3. Paradise Falls from Up VS Angel Falls in Venezuela
4. Pride Rock from Lion King VS Pride Rock in Serengeti National Park in Tanzania
What a Potterful World
Planning your holiday but confused about where to go? These travel stories help you find your best trip ever!
Real travel stories. Real stays. Handy tips to help you make the right choice.
5. Great Black Lake VS Loch Shiel at Lochaber in Scotland
6. Hogwarts Castle in Sorcerer’s Stone VS Alnwick Castle in Northumberland
7. Hogwarts Express VS Glenfinnan Viaduct at Lochaber in Scotland
8. Great Hall VS Dining Hall of Christ Church at Oxford University
Thou Shalt Not Miss LOTR
9. Mordor – Black Volcanic Plain occupied by Sauron VS Tongariro National Park in New Zealand
10. Hobbiton – the Shire Village VS Matamata in New Zealand
11. Rivendell – the Elvish Capital VS Kaitoke Regional Park in New Zealand
Okay! It doesn’t look similar. Sorry to break it to you, but Rivendell was created digitally in the settings of Kaitoke Regional Park. Or at least most of it was. But, nonetheless, you can get the feel of the Elvish Capital in the regional park of New Zealand.
Game. Of. Thrones. – It’s in a game (a bloody one)
12. Winterfell VS Castle Ward in Northern Ireland
Different roads, after all, lead to the same castle. This one. Winterfell has been depicted by various castles from UK – Doune Castle in Scotland, Castle Ward in Northern Ireland, and Audley’s Castle & Woods in Northern Ireland.
13. Pentos VS Azure Window in Malta
Other Notable Mentions
14. Hallelujah Mountain from Avatar VS Wulingyuan Mountains in Hunan district of China
15. Arkham Asylum from DC’s Batman VS Danvers State Hospital in Massachusetts
16. Canyon City from Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade VS Al Khazneh at Petra in Jordan
17. Flintstones House at Bedrock from the Hanna Barbera’s animated series VS Stone House built by Dick Clark in Malibu
18. Isla De Muerta from Pirates of the Caribbean VS Haiti
19. Tatooine – Luke and Anakin Skywalker desolate planet from Star Wars VS Matmata in Tunisia
20. TARDIS time machine from BBC’s Doctor Who VS the mobile Police Box in Earls Court Station in UK
Fun Fact: The Mobile Police Box at Earls Court Station is one of the very few, perhaps the only, existing mobile police box in UK
These fictional places that you can visit in reality are sure to make-up for a fantasy-filled holiday. Let us know your pick from the lot.