Jantar Mantar In Jaipur
Immerse yourself in the rich scientific atmosphere of the Jantar Mantar
Rated 4.10/5 ( based on 2341 reviews )
Best time to visit
Nov - Feb
Ideal for couples
About Jantar Mantar, Jaipur (Rajasthan)
Jantar Mantar in Jaipur is one the largest astronomical observatory for measuring and monitoring positions of celestial objects. There are other such five observatories in India. Of all the tourist attractions that Jaipur has to offer, Jantar Mantar in Jaipur is one of the most interesting and unique sights. It is a beautiful monument that provides great learning for people of all ages who are visiting Jaipur. History of Jantar Mantar in Jaipur
Jantar Mantar is a unique and most famous historical attraction in Jaipur located opposite to city palace in Jaipur. It was built by the Rajput king Sawai Jai Singh II in 1734. Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II was a keen academic, and astrology was one of his favorite areas of study. Jantar Mantar (Jaipur) features the world’s largest stone sundial and is home to 19 instruments to monitor the celestial objects in skies.
The Architecture of Jantar Mantar
The architecture of Jantar Mantar is magnificent and one of its kind in the entire world. The construction of the entire observatory was done using the local bricks, marbles and stones, and mortars. The Jantar Mantar Observatory has in total 19 instruments that can predict eclipses, measure time and can also track locations of several places. The instruments inside the observatory enable to see the astronomical positions with the naked eye. There is also a sundial called Vrihat Samrat Yantra that helps in giving local time which is generally accurate. There is also a zodiac circle called Rasivalaya that helps in measuring the longitude and latitude of celestial bodies. Similarly, there are other instruments as well like Nadivalaya, Chakra Yantra, Digamsa, etc.
Here is information about the unique top 9 yantras (instruments) inside Jantar Mantar Observatory: 1. Ram Yantra: The Rama Yantra in Jantar Mantar is another unique instrument used to measure the position of any celestial object. It helps to guide the position during day and night both. It aligns the shadow of the top of the pillar with the floor or wall. It is one of the powerful yantras among other 19 instruments that are devised by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh.
2. Vrihat Samrat Yantra: The Vrihat Smarat yantra (Jantar Mantar) is a huge sundial used to measure the local time with a precision of 2 seconds using shadow cast of sunlight. It is being said that Sawai Jai Singh has himself devised the Samrat Yantra along with Ram Yantra and Jay Prakash Yantra inside Jantar Mantar (Jaipur).
3. Jaya Prakash Yantra: The Jay Prakash Yantra is a bit complex but most accurate instrument. It is a bowl-shaped hemispherical instrument which is divided into two parts, covered with marble slabs with readings that divide it into further minutes and seconds. Jay Prakash is said to be covered at the last which makes it powerful and most rectified instrument. The marble slabs are included to cover the information about twelve zodiacs also. So the tools provide the
4. Karnti Vritya Yantra: The Karnti Vritya Yantra is made up of two brass circles which are used to measure celestial latitude and longitude. These circles are capable of rotation in the plane equator and the other in that of the ecliptic.
5. Chakra Yantra: Chakra yantra comprises of two framed stone pillars. The pillars are made up of material such that the readings of the pillar do not get affected by seasonal changes. They are made up of seven different alloys that have graduated scales till 360 degrees. These circular instruments are moved to revolve parallel to the earth's axis and point towards the direction of poles.
6. Laghu Samrat Yantra: The laghu samrat yantra is the small sundial which is used to calculate the time of Jaipur. However, the calculated time is less precise than samrat yantra due to its measuring size. The instrument is inclined at the angle of 27-degree Celsius which is same as the latitude of Jaipur and is used to calculate the declanation angle of the sun with the help of two of its quadrants which are divided by 6 hours, 6 minutes and each minute by 60 seconds.
7. Diganasa Yantra: The Diganasa instrument is used to measure the time of sunrise and sunset with the help of pillar right in the middle of two co-centric outer circles. It helps for precise forecasted predictions of the celestial bodies.
8. Nadi Valaya Yantra: The Nadi Valaya instrument in Jantar Mantar is used to measure the accurate timings of the day in less than one minute. It is done with the help of two plates facing north and south and inlined such that to represent two hemispheres of Earth which are always parallel to the equitorial plane.
9. Daksino Bhitti Yantra: The instrument consists of the two arcs that are constructed with white marble and have different graduation level with degrees and minutes. It is used to maesure the different minute readings and is basically used to observe the altitudes of heavenly bodies. The arcs are mainly constructed of white marble and graduated in degrees as well as minutes. To have accuracy in measuring the calculations, and minute readings, the steps are arranged so that one can reach very close to the graduation. At the center of the quadrants and semi-circle, short pegs are fixed. The instrument is mainly used for observing the different altitude of heavenly bodies. The reading can be taken from the upper end of the arc that gives altitude. The maximum and minimum direct point distance of the sun can be checked by observing the shadow every day.
10. Unnatamsa Yantra: This is another instriument to measure the altitude of celestial bodies. It is made up of a metal ring which is divided into four segments by horizontal and vertical lines, with a hole in the middle.
Thus, this Jantar Mantar was built by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II to follow the movement of celestial objects. The various instruments here are for multiple purposes ranging from figuring out the time, to estimating the size and distance of celestial bodies. The effort made by the Maharaja is extremely laudable as the Jantar Mantar of Jaipur stands today as a tribute to a scientific way of thought that was not so common at that time.
The natural conclusion for any traveler visiting Jaipur, therefore, is, that the thought-provoking Jantar Mantar is not to be skipped. Make sure you have gathered enough information on Jantar Mantar before you go.
- View All
Unlimited Choices. Trusted Agents. Best Prices. Happy Memories.
Places To Visit In Jaipur
Let the experts guide you to the best of this mesmerizing destinationView All
Hawa Mahal In Jaipur
The Hawa Mahal in Jaipur is a very popular destination among tourists. Jaipur is the largest city and capital of Rajasthan and is also one of India’s most visited destinations, enamoring Indian and international travelers alike. Every year, travelers flock to the Pink City in a huge number to see for themselves, the magnifi...
- Colonial architecture
- Ideal for friends
Moti Dungri Temple in Jaipur
Moti Dungri Temple is a Hindu Temple which as Lord Ganesha as the main deity. It is located in Jaipur, one of the most popular cities in the state of Rajasthan. The temple has immense importance in the Hindu religion and is visited by lakhs of devotees every year. The construction of the Moti Dungri temple was completed in ...
- Religious Tour
- Ideal for families
Amber Fort In Jaipur
Amber Fort is the most famous tourist attraction of pink city, Jaipur which is located at distance of about 10 to 12 kilometres which is short drive away from main city. The palace was beautifuly constructed by Raja Man Singh in 1592 Century and further construction was completed by Sawai Jai Singh in 18th century. The grea...
- Memorial arch
- Jeep Ride
- Ideal for friends
- Ideal For Family
- Ancient Forts
Sheesh Mahal in Jaipur Rajasthan
Sheesh Mahal in Jaipur is as beautiful as other mirror halls built in different royal residences of its time in India. Famous for intricate mirror work, this pavilion was built in the Amber Fort by the imperial family. The construction began under the orders of Man Singh in the 16th century and it was finished in 1727. It i...
Jal Mahal In Jaipur
Jal Mahal in Jaipur, which translates literally to 'Water Palace,' is a pretty self-explanatory landmark. Situated right in the middle of Man Sagar Lake in the beautiful city of Jaipur, the Jal Mahal is a marvelous blend of Mughal and Rajput architecture and one of the true showpieces of the Pink city.
Jal Mahal History
- Historical Sites
- Ideal For Family
Things To Do In Jaipur
Your list of the best things to do, compiled on the basis of actual traveler experiencesView All
Jaipur Literature Festival In Jaipur
JLF is a five day long festival, wherein eminent writers and authors come together under one roof. It is held at the Diggi Palace every year, and serves as a platform where people come together to share their experiences, work, and other topics of interest.
It is a great arena for socialising and networking as the people w...
- Ideal for friends
- Cultural shows
- Ideal For Family
Balloon Ride In Jaipur
Jump into your childhood with (or even without your kids) and live the most thrilling time of your life with the balloon rides in Jaipur. The Sky Waltz Balloon Safari is a safe and fun way of getting a panoramic view of the Pink City. It is an invigorating feeling as you are able to see the city from a distance and get the ...
- Ideal for friends
- Ideal for couples
- Breathtaking views
Camel Safari In Jaipur
There is no doubt that taking camel safaris in Jaipur is one of the best activities for tourists to engage in over the golden sand dunes of Rajasthan. Although Jaipur does not have much of a desert area, a camel safari in Jaipur is one of the best ways in which you can explore the Pink City. A camel ride in Jaipur can be en...
- Mountain Desert
- Family fun time
Cycling In Jaipur
The cycling tour in Jaipur is an eco friendly way of exploring the ‘Pink City’. To explore the exquisite architecture and to admire the entire city, the hilltop forts and the massive villages, cycling is the best way. The temples and shrines can also be added to the list of places covered during the tour.
A cycle tour in ...
- Road Trip
- City Tour
- Cycle Tour
Elephant Ride In Jaipur
For the adventure lover, an elephant ride in Jaipur is a must. Elephants are majestic creatures and were among the most valuable assets of the maharajas in the olden times. Gifting and receiving elephants was highly beneficial for the maharajas and the chiefs. The elephant rides at Amer Fort in Jaipur is among the top most ...
Our experts would love to create a package just for you!
Fill in your requirements here >
Fastest Growing Holiday Marketplace
Easy, Secure & Reliable
Authentic Traveler Reviews
Read on to find out why our customers love us!
Sawantsaumitra's 5 days trip to JaipurTrip was well planned and enjoyable. Hotels,Cab and sight seeing also good.
Karthikeya's 4 days trip to JaipurIt was good memorable trip, the driver Anand SINGH is an excellent driver who takes care and guides well without any expectations. He is sharp on time and was punctual. Being with kids it’s tough planning as scheduled and cover all the places of visit. He ensured we covered all the areas planned and are visited to our satisfaction. Also all our valuables were left in his car during trip and went unattended at our end without worries. Would be the person to have for service for any trips in Jaipur. Regarding agent, only thing that was not clear was the coverage or safari in package which was not updated till last minute had to book ourself. The agreement was to have end to end covered in package and quotation shared. But realised that safari was not covered only on the day of arrival at Ranthambore for stay. Luckily it was taken care by the hotel person and agent co-ordination. In all the trip was very well organised. Agents should be in constant touch to discuss on day today progress rather customer getting in touch. Minor follow ups, small small things matter a lot and makes a huge difference for customer satisfaction. Memories: We were late back from Ranthambore and missed chowki dhani on that day, Anand Singh ensured we do not miss anything and covered all the places planned to visit by replanning and covering all that was planned. The most memorable was arranging of Guide Ashok who was humble and knowledged person fit for the position of guiding the palace, Anand on fly arranged and ensured we did not miss anything in palace and it was memorable.
Dktamang's 2 days trip to JaipurWe had a great trip to Jaipur, special thanks to Mr. Sanjay (driver) for everything.
Asaha's 5 days trip to JaipurEverything was absolute perfect and arranged in proper manner. hotel, cabs and movements . This is my first experience with travel Triangle and TOURPEDIA and both were memorable. enjoyed my trip thoroughly with my family and the best part was PERSON FROM TOURPEDIA came personally to also know and how we were feeling. great experience and good management done by TOURPEDIA.
Yogesh's 3 days trip to JaipurAwesome coordination and timely management Very good arrangements hotel. Was good and sevice e was amazing
Sujata's 5 days trip to JaipurGood hotels except delhi hotel. Delhi hotel was very congested. Otherwise Good arrangements.Driver was punctual so that we could cover all places.
Soniya's 6 days trip to JaipurWe had a great trip... Very well managed sight seeing... Awesome food, nice people especially Bhawani Singh Ji (our Driver) Thank you for making this trip an unforgettable one... Desert Thar Safari... Camel Safari... Stay in Swiss Tents... Wonderful architecture of Forts and temples... Cultural event... Loved everything...
Manubha's 3 days trip to JaipurGreat planning and execution of trip. Stay at Sariska resort.
Rakesh's 5 days trip to JaipurOverall it was a good tour of golden triangle. schedule customized by us was little bit hectic need one or two more days for same itinerary. Tourpedia just book hotels and hire tempo traveller for us and kept all other things on Us. Bus driver didn't know the itinerary at all. Every day he was aking for where to go. Cab driver was always looking for commission from guide and hotels. In vrindavan and agra he gave us guide Who are looking to chit us. I was expected much more from tourpedia after reading reviews but get dissapointed with the service espacially with the bus driver and his approch. So I can suggest travellers to clear all things before booking with travel agent.
Sabyasachi's 6 days trip to Jaipurdifferent cab arrived to pick up from airport other than the one which was supposed to come for pick up. on 1st day tour again one more new cab came which was too late and we started 2 hours late for sightseeing.
Want best packages handpicked just for you?
Fill the form and get a callback from our holiday experts
FAQ's of Jaipur
Read on to find out why our customers love us!
No, you do not need to hire a guide. An audio guide is available for rupees 150 or if you really want a guided tour, that will cost you rupees 200.
How It Works1
Personalise This Package
Make changes as per your travel plan & submit the request.2
Get Multiple Quotes
Connect with top 3 agents, compare quotes & customize further.3
Book The Best Deal
Pay in easy installments & get ready to enjoy your holiday.