Neelakurinji Flowering Season is an intriguing occurrence that takes place once in twelve years. Eravikulam National Park in Munnar happens to be the perfect destination to head to, if you wish to witness lush green valleys getting painted in hues of blues and purples, as far as your eyes can see. With the arrival of monsoon this month, the rare Neelakurinji flowers started blooming, weaving a panorama that truly is dream-like. Since, these beautiful flowers will be around only between June and October this year, it’s apt to say your much-awaited trip to Munnar has to turn into reality ASAP.
This blog features all the important information you will seek in order to plan an impromptu escape for Neelakurinji season in 2022 – such as – tips, budget, facts, ideal duration, how to reach and so much more. Count this as your guiding light, and give it a read while you pack your bags for a trip that will have you say ‘It bloom my mind!’ (pun intended).
What is so special about Munnar’s Neelakurinji Flowering Season
Though there are a myriad of hillscapes beautified with flowers of different hues, but Munnar’s Neelakurinji Season, as mentioned, is a phenomenon which takes place one in 12 years. Neelakurinji blooms in this locale in abundance, unlike any other place; you may however stumble across patches of these flowers in neighboring areas. This is when the lush green valleys turns blue-purple as far as your eyes can see. This sight indeed is a treat, something you could only imagine.
How to reach
Munnar is an easily accessible destination, connected to different parts of the world via air as well as railway. There are two railway stations nearby, namely – Angamaly (located 109 km away) and Ernakulam (located 145 km away). The nearest major airport to Munnar is Cochin International Airport, at a distance of 110 km.
Things you should keep in mind if are witnessing Neelakurinji Season?
The entry to Eravikulam National Park has some restrictions in number of visitors during the Neelakurinji Season. The tourism board is also working on stopping tourist buses entering Munnar Town via major roads. Shuttles will be provided by the government from Old Town, where vehicles will be required to park.
Estimate budget for visiting Munnar for Neelakurinji Season in 2022
If you are planning to be a part of the Neelakurinji Flowering Season for about 4 days and 3 nights, INR 12,000 per person should be your ideal budget. This cost excludes flight, and includes major expenses such as breakfast, sightseeing, transfers and stay. Travel Triangle’s Mesmeric Munnar Honeymoon Package With Neelakurinji Festival package will be your perfect pick, as it is economically priced (INR 9,500) and eradicates all the hassles.
Ideal duration of visit
5 nights and 6 days are sufficient to make the most of your Munnar Neelakurinji tour. This duration will also allow you to visit other top attractions of Munnar as well. You can also expand your horizons and head towards other towns and cities of Kerala, such as Alleppey and Cochin.
Suggested Read: 35 Things To Do In Munnar For A Delightful Vacation In 2022!
Important facts and tips for Neelakurinji Munnar 2022
- Since this is the flowering season take special care if you are allergic to pollen grains, bees or any such things. Taking vaccine shots, antihistamines and anti-allergens will be your savior.
- Neelakurinji Season is a blessing from mother nature, you must refrain from picking flowers or littering.
- Being a major pull for the tourists, it is advised you book your tickets and hotels in advance.
- Make sure you have pre-arranged entry tickets to Eravikulam National Park, as you will not be allowed to enter without possession of the same.
- There are 250 species of Neelakurinji flowers with 46 varieties that bloom in India. The color is not limited to hues of blue and purple, but also maroons.
- Neelakurinji’s nectar is indeed rich in taste and nutrients.
- The Paliyanese people in Tamil Nadu refer to Neelakurinji in order to calculate their age.
- There are a few kinds of Kurinji flowers that bloom once in seven years and then die. The seeds later sprout and a new Kurinji flower is bloomed.
- On an average, the flowers are 30-60 cm tall, but have the ability to grow even more than 180 cm.
- The scientific name of the flower is Strobilanthes Kunthiana, and this name is inspired by river Kunthi. In Malayalam, Neelakurinji translates to blue flower.
Suggested Read: 25 Hotels And Resorts In Munnar For That Divine Holiday
Planning your holiday in Kerala but confused about what to do? These Kerala travel stories help you find your best trip ever!
Real travel stories. Real stays. Handy tips to help you make the right choice.
Where else to visit during your trip?
1. Tea Museum
2. Mattupetty Dam
3. Rajamala Hills
5. Periyar National Park
Munnar Neelakurinji Flower Season – Video
As mentioned, the next Kurinji Flower Season will take place in 2030, which is too far away! So, before it’s too late, pack your bag and head out to Munnar with Travel Triangle’s seasonal tour packages.
Looking To Book A Holiday Package?
Book memorable holidays on TravelTriangle with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.