Raneh Falls is known as the Grand Canyon of India. But unfortunately, not many people know about this beautiful place. It is one of the hidden destinations of India that people hardly talk about. However, if you have visited the Khajuraho Temple then you must have heard about this place. That’s because it is located very close to the temple. Although Khajuraho is one of the most visited places by both foreigners and locals, this place remains in the list of unknown destinations of India.
The place looks stunning because of the way the canyons are formed around the waterfall. It has a very unique formation which you haven’t seen before. The waterfalls are naturally formed while the canyons are shaped by volcanic eruptions. The process took place several years ago because of which we have the canyon today.
The canyon is 5 km long into the path of the river Karnavati. Overall, this is a pretty amazing place to visit in the lap of Madhya Pradesh. If you are planning a short trip with your family, then this could be one of your tourist options. If you don’t want to miss the chance to witness one of the wonders of nature then you must visit Raneh falls.
Best Time To Visit Raneh Falls
If you are wondering what is the best time to visit Raneh Falls then September to November is the time when you must visit this place. It is the post-monsoon season when the central waterfall comes to life during this time. Other times of the year, the central waterfall remains dry along with river Ken which feeds it. If you are visiting Khajuraho then you must take a halt at Raneh Falls. Adventure enthusiasts can also opt for the hiking trail near the fall.
Interesting Facts About Raneh Falls
Raneh waterfall is a natural wonder which is still a hidden gem for people. This lesser-known place has a lot to offer to its visitors. If you are planning to visit Raneh waterfalls in Dhoguwan then you should know about these facts about the place.
- Variation in depth: The entire canyon is 5 km long and is formed by volcanic eruptions. You wouldn’t witness a change of depth of canyons anywhere in the world. At some points of the canyon, it takes a dip of 50 m while at other points, the depth is about 5 m. This sharp variation in depth gives you the chance to witness some unique features.
- Igneous rocks: Generally, you get to see one or two varieties of igneous rocks in a particular area that are available in pairs like dolomite and granite. But this is not the case with Raneh waterfalls. Apart from the primary types, it also has 3 other types of igneous rocks which have unique colours. This beautiful colour combination is what makes the place look more stunning.
- Countless waterfalls: Due to the formation of the canyons, the river is unable to navigate its course. This gives birth to smaller and bigger waterfalls. However, the main attraction of the place remains the biggest waterfall which is fed by Ken River. But the smaller waterfalls add to the beauty of the place.
- Will become extinct: As suggested by experts, the Raneh waterfalls may disappear in the future after the construction of another dam on the Ken River. There are already two dams on the river which consume a lot of water and therefore, cutting the flow of the waterfall.
5 Places To Visit Near Raneh Falls
There are plenty of places to visit near Raneh Falls as well as Khajuraho that you can explore. After you are done witnessing the beauty of the waterfalls, you can explore the places listed below.
1. Ken Gharial Sanctuary
Ken Gharial Sanctuary is one of the most popular and important places to visit in Khajuraho. Every year, hundreds of tourists visit the place. They come to see the gharials and other species of animals that live here including spotted deer, sloth, nilgai, and wolf. This is the perfect place for all nature lovers.
Location: Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh
Timings: 7 am to 6 pm
2. Ajaygarh Fort
The next best place to visit near Raneh Falls is the Ajaygarh Fort which is located in the Panna district of Madhya Pradesh. This is an ancient monument that has a height of 688 meters. When visiting Khajuraho, you simply cannot miss visiting this place. Take a plunge into the history of this state as well as the country by exploring Ajaygarh Fort.
Location: Ajaigarh, Madhya Pradesh 488220
Timings: 10 am to 5 pm
3. Beni Sagar Dam
Beni Sagar Dam is located on the river Khuddar. The beauty of the endless dam looks mesmerizing. The dam stretches across 8 km with lush green beauty surrounding the place. The stunning beauty of the place is what attracts visitors to the place. If you are a nature lover, you will surely love this place.
Location: Pahadi Hirajoo, Madhya Pradesh 471606
Timings: 9 am to 5 pm
4. Archaeological Museum Khajuraho
Archaeological Museum in Khajuraho is one of the significant places which is a must-visit. You will find more than 2,000 sculptures and relics in this museum. Here you can learn a lot about the traditions and culture of the Jain and Hindu religions. If you love to dig deep in the history then you must visit this place once.
Location: Rajnagar Rd, Sevagram, Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh 471606
Timings: 9 am to 5 pm
5. Khajuraho Temple
Located in the Chhatarpur district, this is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the place. This site is listed as one of the World Heritage Sites by UNESCO. The temples are mainly known for their unique Nagra style architecture and erotic sculptures. Your trip to Khajuraho and Raneh falls is simply incomplete without paying a visit to this temple.
Location: Rajnagar Road, Sevagram, Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh 471606
Timings: 8 am to 6 pm
Suggested Read: 4 Best Tourist Circuits In Madhya Pradesh In 2020
3 Interesting Things To Do
There are plenty of things you can do in and near Raneh Falls. Since you are visiting for the first time, let us give you an idea of what all activities you can opt for.
For nature lovers, this is the perfect chance to spend your time in the lap of nature. There are many camping trips available near Raneh Fall. All you need to do is book one of them and you can have one of the best experiences of your life. So, get ready to pitch a tent and admire the natural beauty of Madhya Pradesh.
2. Cycling & Trekking
If you are into adventure then you can opt for a cycling and trekking experience in Khajuraho. This could be the perfect activity for you if you are visiting the place with your buddy gang. After visiting Raneh Falls, you can hire a cycle to explore Khajuraho yourself and where there are no roads, you can take the untrodden paths and trek to the hidden places.
3. Jungle Safari
Apart from these thrilling activities, Khajuraho also gives a chance to explore the fauna in their natural habitat. So, animal lovers can opt for a jungle safari trip to the Gharial Sanctuary. There you can witness many of the animal species living in their habitat. Click pictures and witness wildlife from up close.
3 Places To Stay Near Raneh Falls
Looking for a temporary abode in Khajuraho? Worry not, because we have got you covered. Here is a list of some of the best places to stay in Khajuraho that you can opt for.
1. Hotel Isabel Palace
Although a new hotel in the city, Hotel Isabel Palace has received some of the best ratings from its guests. If you are a budget traveller then this could be the best place for you to stay. It is only 1.5 km from the main tourist attractions in Khajuraho. So, if you are on a shoestring budget but want a decent place to stay then look no further than this hotel.
Suggested Read: 7 Mystical National Parks Of Madhya Pradesh
2. Zen Hotel
This is yet another budget option that you can choose to stay at. It just a minute walk from some of the main temples in Khajuraho. The property is inspired by Buddha sculptures which makes it one of the best places to stay at. If you are looking for a peaceful place then Zen Hotel is the place to be.
3. Hotel Harmony
Located in the central town, this is yet another great place to stay for budget travellers. It has a nice environment to enjoy. There is also a multi-cuisine restaurant which goes by the name Zorba The Buddha and serves Indian, Chinese, and continental dishes. If you are looking for a peaceful stay away from the noise of the city then book your room in Hotel Harmony.
Location: Jain Mandir Rd, Sevagram, Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh 471606
Services: Spa, valet parking, coffee shop, airport transportation, free internet, and smoking rooms.
How To Reach Raneh Falls
Wondering how to reach Raneh Falls? For your convenience, here is a list of different routes that you can opt for to reach Raneh Falls.
- By Air: If you are travelling by air then the nearest airport you will find is the Khajuraho airport. It is just 22 km away from Raneh Falls. The good thing about the airport is that it is well connected to all the other big airports in the country. This means you can have the convenience to travel from any part of the country you are. There are regular flights, flying from Bengaluru, Kolkata and Delhi airports. Once you reach Khajuraho airport, you need to take the road. For this, you need to book a cab from the airport.
- By Train: For those who are travelling by train will find Mahoba station to be the nearest. It is around 75 km away from the falls. But this shouldn’t be a problem as the station is well connected with all the main cities and towns of the state. Not just that but it is connected to other bug stations outside the state as well.
- By Road: The next option we have is by road which is considered to be one of the best options. You can board several governments owned buses to reach the place. Since Raneh Falls is located close to the famous Khajuraho temple, you can easily access it by bus. Once you reach the city, you can take a cab from there to reach Raneh falls.
Tips For Travellers
Here are a few general tips that you must be familiar with while visiting Raneh Falls:
- Carry trekking boots with you as normal shoes might not be enough to walk on the rocks
- Visit during the rainy season as the falls is at its best due to the high level of water. Avoid in summers in any way possible
- Carry your camera for some breathtaking shots as the canyons are simply unique
- If you are traveling with kids, then be extremely careful with heights
- Do visit the Panna National Park to explore some amazing wildlife
- This is a place losing significance by the day. Do respect the uniqueness of the place
Raneh Falls may not be that popular of a place but it is definitely worth the visit. According to experts, the fall is going to die in the future with the construction of a new dam. In that case, you have less time to visit the place. It is guaranteed you will not regret exploring the place. So without further ado, plan out your Madhya Pradesh trip today and visit this amazing boulder canyon.
Disclaimer: TravelTriangle claims no credit for images featured on our blog site unless otherwise noted. All visual content is copyrighted to its respectful owners. We try to link back to original sources whenever possible. If you own the rights to any of the images, and do not wish them to appear on TravelTriangle, please contact us and they will be promptly removed. We believe in providing proper attribution to the original author, artist or photographer.
Frequently Asked Questions About Raneh Falls
A. The best way to reach Raneh Falls is by road. You will find many government bus services traveling towards that destination.
A. Travelers can visit the place mainly during the morning as it is very risky to go there in the evening. It remains open for only 2 to 3 hours a day.
A. You don’t have to spend much to enter Raneh Falls if you are a resident of the country. It is only Rs 15 per person for Indians and Rs 150 for foreign travelers.
A. Raneh Falls is just 20 km away from Khajuraho. Once you are in the city of Khajuraho, reaching Raneh Falls is no more a problem. All you need to do is board a cab and reach your destination.
A. You can find many adventure sports near waterfalls. For instance, you can go cycling, trekking, camping and even enjoy many water sports. There’s no way you will get bored in this place.
A. During the monsoon season, heavy rainfall can be witnessed. Therefore, it is better to avoid planning for any visit during this season.
A. The wintertime in October and February are considered to be the ideal time to visit the place. The temperatures remain low and pleasant.
A. Raneh falls may dry up if they construct another dam. The already existing dams eat too much water.
People Also Read: