Europe during winter in true self is an imitation of a frozen fairyland. The innate beauty, epic history, stunning artistry, and the diversified culinary is sure to leave you spellbound. There is just no way that you can tour Europe in February and not be mesmerized with the unmanageable wealth of attractions, splendid architecture, and the dazzling pure white snow. With every few hours, you travel in Europe you will find yourself immersed in a new culture, language, and food customs along with the warm sun of winters and the colourful festive lights.
Weather In Europe In February
The weather in Europe during February is cold however; things are starting to get a little warm. In Western Europe, the average temperature in February is around 5° Celsius to 0° Celsius. In Eastern Europe, the average temperature in February ranges from 0° Celsius to -6° Celsius.
Why Should You Visit Europe In February
There are several reasons to visit the continent of Europe in the month of February. Some of the most prominent reasons have been listed below!
Europe gets festive in February with several festivals and carnivals creating an electric ambiance that every traveller would long for. Some of the popular events and festivals in February that you should checkout are listed below –
- Berlin International Film Festival, Germany: If you are a filmy worm then you must visit Berlin in February. The Berlin International Film Festival is one of Germany’s esteemed events happening between 9th to 19th February and showcases more than 400 films every year.
- Dubrovnik Winter Festival, Croatia: The Dubrovnik winter festival has been in existence since the 14th century and happens from 24th to 28th February, where you can see multi-cultural performances from across the country focusing on Croatia’s neighbouring countries. The festival includes a mix of music, dance, street theatre, and vibrant parades
- Battle Of Oranges, Italy: This event takes place in the Italian town of Ivrea, from 25th to 28th February. It is a fun occasion where more than three thousand individuals split up into nine teams and involved in a wage war with oranges. Even after being a team event, the onlookers naturally become a part of the game with numerous oranges flying in the air. The event also displays a parade of decorated carriages
- Cologne Carnival, Germany: The Cologne Carnival is one of the most famous events in Germany and is organised from the end of February to the first week of March. The carnival is full of traditional activities, events, local music, and lively parades. To add on to the fun of the carnival the local pubs and bars extend their closing time allowing the people to enjoy partying until late
- St. Valentine’s Day Celebration, Italy: You cannot miss the St. Valentine’s Day celebrations when travelling to Italy – the most romantic country in Europe. The celebrations take place in Terni, where Valentine’s Day was originated. There are numerous events taking place throughout the month of February, especially on 14th February. The area around the Basilica of Terni is flooded with lively and colourful activities and events that are worth watching
2. Europe Is Cheaper In February
Winters are generally the off-season in Europe considering the cold weather. February is one of the best months to plan a trip to Europe if you want to avoid peak season inflations and a relatively moderate climate. Wherever you travel in Europe during February, there will be–
- Less of crowd
- Easy accommodation on nominal rates
- Low airfare
5 Things To Do In Europe In February
February is one of the best months to visit Europe if you want to experience the local essence. Listed below are some of the best things to do in Europe during February and enjoy the festivities of the most incredible European cities.
1. Attend Venice Carnival
The Venice Carnival is an Italian tradition that has been happening for over 700 years to celebrate the spirit of Venice. The beautiful canals of Venice are hived with Gondolas with the locals’ wearing colourful masks and costumes, making it a mesmerising and magical moment.
Date: 8th February to 25th February 2021
Activities to try:
- Gondola Ride
- Teatro La Fenice Opera House
- Jewish Museum & Museum of Leonardo Da Vinci
- Rialto Market
- Venetian islands Murano & Burano
Suggested Read: 10 Best Destinations For Rock Climbing In Europe In 2021
2. Carnival Party At Sitges
Every year the lovely Spanish city, Sitges hosts a tantalizing carnival, which consists of numerous performances and parades like The Extermination Parade, The Debauchery Parade, and The Burial of the Sardine. The friendly locals welcome visitors to be a part of all the fun and excitement.
Date: 18th February to 26th February 2021
Activities to try:
- Explore the Old Town
- The Maricel Museum
- Garraf Natural Park
- Take a walk at the Passeig Maritim
- The Museu Cau Ferrat
Suggested Read: Europe In March: An Ultimate Guide For An Ultimate Destination!
3. Menton– for the Fete du Citron
The beautiful and sunny town on the French Riviera- Menton organises a yearly lemon festival, which is celebrated for three weeks to give a tribute to the lemon fruit. The fete is a mix of carnivals, parade, and performances all praising and celebrating lemon.
Date: 15th February to 3rd March 2021
Activities to try:
- Val Rahmeh Botanical Garden
- Jean Cocteau Museum
- Saint Michel Basilica
- Plage des Sablettes Bay
- Marche des Halles Market
4. Vinterjazz At Copenhagen
The musical city of Copenhagen celebrates its love for jazz at the annual Vinterjazz festival held in February every year. The festival is home to numerous Danish musicians and international artists who perform different jazz styles at various venues around Copenhagen and other cities of Denmark.
Date: 31st January to 23rd February 2021
Activities to try:
- Ice Skating
- Visit Fairytale Castle
- Relax in Hot Sauna
- Tivoli Gardens
- Explore the food markets
5. Santa Cruz De Tenerife
Tenerife is one of the most beautiful cities to visit in Europe in February. It is famous for its blue seas and white sandy beaches. The city becomes alive during February with celebrations consisting of live performances, parades, and exciting parties.
Date: 19th February to 1st March 2021
Activities to try:
- Mount Teide National Park
- Whale and Dolphin Watching
- Loro Parque
- Museum of Science and Cosmos
- Go Caving in Cueva del Viento
Our list of things to do in Europe is a mixed bag of events and festivals that covers the most vibrant and colourful cities of Europe to satisfy the February wanderlust in you. All you need to do is to keep your passports ready and book an extravagant trip to Europe with TravelTriangle and have an astounding vacation with friends and family.
Disclaimer: TravelTriangle claims no credit for images featured on our blog site unless otherwise noted. All visual content is copyrighted to its respectful owners. We try to link back to original sources whenever possible. If you own the rights to any of the images, and do not wish them to appear on TravelTriangle, please contact us and they will be promptly removed. We believe in providing proper attribution to the original author, artist or photographer.
Please Note: Any information published by TravelTriangle in any form of content is not intended to be a substitute for any kind of medical advice, and one must not take any action before consulting a professional medical expert of their own choice.
Frequently Asked Questions About Things To Do In Europe In February
What is the temperature of Europe during February?
The average temperature of Europe during February ranges from 5° Celsius to 3° Celsius. February is a great time to visit Europe as the weather starts getting warmer and the crowd is less.
Which places should I visit in Europe during February?
The best places to travel in Europe in February are –
– Venice, Italy
– Copenhagen, Denmark
– Tenerife, Canary Islands
– Menton, France
– Sitges, Spain
– Dubrovnik, Croatia
– Berlin, Germany
Is February an ideal time to visit Europe?
February is the best time to visit Europe if you are travelling for a budget holiday and hate long queues and a large crowd. February is a great option to visit Italy, Spain, France, and Croatia.
What are some of the must-visit events in Europe during February?
Some of the must-visit events are the Berlin Film Festival, Battle of Oranges, Cologne Carnival, and many more.
Which is the warmest place in Europe in February?
Warmest place during February in Europe is Greece, Italy, France, Spain, and Portugal.
What to wear when travelling to Europe in February?
When packing for a February vacation carry a pair of dark skinny jeans, pullovers, full sleeves shirt, winter coat, cap, socks, and scarves.
What are the cheapest European countries to visit?
Some economical countries in Europe are Romania, Portugal, Croatia, Hungary, Ukraine, and a few more.
Looking To Book An International Holiday?