If Hong Kong is iconic, Macau is next level! The glitz, glamour, and gambling are pretty much the reasons why you need to explore the hub of luxury and entertainment on your next holiday. And this Hong Kong to Macau ferry guide would make sure you know everything about this Asian Las Vegas, save on time, and have the most value for money international trip ever!
What Is The Best Time To Visit Macau?
There is no doubt that the best season to visit Macau is autumn. The months from October to December flaunt a pleasant and clear weather, making it a great time for you to venture out, explore, and experience the glamour of the region at its best.
Suggested Read: This Is Why Hong Kong Is A Perfect Destination For Families
While the summer and monsoon season have hot and humid months, making it nearly impossible to have a hassle free holiday, the winter season is a good time to visit Macau too. The months from December to February are cold but sunny, and a perfect time to plan your trip if you wish to enjoy the beauty of the snow.
Which Is Best Hong Kong Ferry To Macau?
With major terminal in Hong Kong situated in Sheung Wan, there are two ferry operators that sail across to Macau everyday. The red ferry is run by TurboJet and the blue ferry is run by Cotai Water Jet.
While both the operators run daily ferries and charge a similar price, the best ferry is the one that takes you directly to your dream stop in Macau.
If you’re visiting Macau for the first time and plan to explore the major attractions like the Senado Square, Macau Tower, the ruins of St. Paul’s, and more, the best ferry is TurboJet as it docks at Macau’s Outer Harbour Ferry Terminal, which is in close proximity to the city centre.
However, if the latest casinos and hotels like The Venetian Macau, Hard Rock Cafe, and Parisian Macau have caught your fancy, then the best Hong Kong ferry to Macau for you is the Cotai Water Jet. This ferry departs from Sheung Wan and docks up at the Taipa Ferry Terminal, which is only five minutes away from the City of Dreams.
Which Are The Best Hong Kong To Macau Ferry Routes?
From Hong Kong, there are a multitude of routes that you can take for reaching Macau.
- Hong Kong Macau Ferry Terminal in Sheung Wan that sails and docks at Macau Outer Harbour Ferry Terminal
- China Ferry Terminal in Tsim Sha Tsui in Kowloon that docks at the Outer Harbour Ferry Terminal
- Tuen Mun Ferry Terminal in New Territories that dock at Taipa Ferry Terminal in Macau
- SkyPier Terminal at Hong Kong International Airport that docks at Macau’s Taipa Ferry Terminal
While there are several routes, the best ferry routes are from the Hong Kong Macau Ferry Terminal to Macau’s Outer Harbour Ferry Terminal and Taipa Ferry Terminal as it has the highest departure and arrival frequency, and serves travelers at all hours of the day.
What Are The Hong Kong To Macau Ferry Price And Timings?
The price for the ferry ticket from Hong Kong to Macau is the same for both the adults and the kids, and only varies as per the weekday or weekend, and time of the day.
Price For Ferry Ticket For TurboJet
- HKD 308 for a round-trip during the daytime on weekdays
- HKD 336 for a round-trip sailing during the weekend
- HKD 165 for one way sailing during the weekdays
- HKD 175 for one way trip during the weekend
Price For Ferry Ticket For Cotai Water Jet
- HKD 304 for a round-trip during the daytime on weekdays
- HKD 321 for a round-trip sailing during the weekend
- HKD 170 for one way sailing during the weekdays
- HKD 160 for one way trip during the weekend
Hong Kong To Macau Ferry Time and Duration
The TurboJet takes around 50 minutes to reach Macau from Hong Kong Ferry Terminal, whereas the Cotai Water Jet takes 60 minutes. While both the ferries run every 15 minutes, i.e. from 7:00 PM to 5:30 PM and 5:30 PM to 7:00 AM, TurboJet also runs special ferries at night, peak hours, and during holidays and festivals.
Hong Kong & Macau Holiday Packages On TravelTriangle
Visit Hong Kong and explore disney land, ocean park, wet land park, victoria’s peak and Lantau Island. Further, explore Macau tower, the Venetian resort, Senedo square and more in Macau.
What Are The Top Things To Do On A Hong Kong To Macau Day Trip?
While church hopping, visiting museums, and exploring the casinos are commonly what travelers do, here’s something more you can do when you travel from Hong Kong to Macau only for a day and wish to see the most of the magical land.
1. Explore the Senado Square
Situated in the central area of the Macau Peninsula, Senado Square is one of the top attractions in Macau. From eating at famous Chinese restaurants to exploring the various high-end shopping centres, there’s a lot to do here.
Timings: Open 24 hours
Location: Largo do Senado, Macau
2. Eat at the revolving 360° Café in the Macau Tower
Being the Macau’s highest and only revolving restaurant, 360° Café is a place you should definitely visit during your trip. From scrumptious Portuguese to Indian delicacies and stunning views to friendly hospitality, this restaurant offers everything and is an absolute gourmet’s delight.
Suggested Read: 4 Days In Hong Kong: Your Ultimate Travel Guide!
- Lunch Buffet – MOP 278 or INR 2,255 for adults and MOP 228 or INR 1,850 for kids
- High Tea – MOP 178 or INR 1,445 for adults and MOP 148 or INR 1,200 for kids
- Dinner Buffet With Seafood Platter – MOP 500 or INR 4,055 for adults and MOP 400 or INR 3,255 for kids
Timings: 11:30 AM to 1:00 PM, 1:30 AM to 3:00 PM, 3:30 PM to 5:00 PM, 6:30 PM to 10:00 PM
Location: 60/F, Macau Tower Convention & Entertainment Centre
3. Stay at the luxurious The Venetian Macao Resort Hotel
Offering a timeless experience, homelike comfort, and undefined luxury, this hotel is certainly one of the best places to stay in Macau. The royal suites, classy casino, and other fun experiences here would pamper you so much that you would feel like spending your whole day indoors.
4. Witness the Ruins of St. Paul’s
Situated adjacent to the famous Mount Fortress and Macau Museum, this site is one of the popular places to visit in Macau. The beautiful facade and the front stairway reflect captivating tales about this old church, which makes it a perfect attraction for history buffs.
Further Read: New Year In Hong Kong: 6 Exciting Ways To Ring In 2018
Entry Fee: There are no entry charges for visiting this site.
Timings: 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM everyday, and 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM on every Tuesday
Location: Rua de Sao Paulo, Macau
5. Visit the Fisherman’s Wharf
If Macau is the Las Vegas of Asia, this place is the Colosseum similar to the one in Rome. It offers an array of shopping centres, restaurants, and is a hub of entertainment activities that would be enough to keep you busy and happy for a good amount of time.
Timings: Open 24 hours
Location: Outer Harbour, Macau
What Are A Few Tips For Visiting Macau?
- While there are a lot of ways to travel to Macau from Hong Kong, the most convenient and cheapest is to take a ferry. So, prefer TurboJet or Cotai Water Jet depending on the area of Macau you are planning to visit.
- Do not worry about booking your ferry in advance as both TurboJet and Cotai Water Jet runs a ferry in every 15 minutes (unless you’re planning to visit Macau on a special event day or a public holiday).
- Most of the hotels in Macau offer free shuttle services. Try and board these buses to commute around if you wish to travel like a local and save some money.
- Of all the things to do, try to spare some time and watch the world famous water performance called The House of Dancing Waters at the City of Dreams Hotel.
- While Macau’s currency is Macanese Patacas (MOP), the region warmly accepts Hong Kong Dollars (HKD) as well. So, do not worry about getting your currency exchanged as you can pay and request for change anywhere in HKD itself.
- Try and visit Restaurant Litoral, Carlos or APOMAC Macau if you wish to indulge in authentic Macanese cuisine.
- Even though Macau is a safe place to visit, make sure you take care of your passport, money, and other valuable belongings in crowded areas and when it’s late at night.
Already excited for your Hong Kong Macau trip by ferry? We hope you have the time of your life, and make a zillion memories with your loved ones!
Looking To Book An International Holiday?
Book memorable holidays on TravelTriangle with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.