Yep, right here on this page you’ll find the weirdest New Year traditions around the world. Buckle up because these are beyond your imagination.
From balls of fire to mass kissing, these new year traditions around the world will leave you astonished!
Let the weirdness begin!
1. Turkey: Sport some red hot lingerie underneath your party dress to bring good luck in the coming year
Witness the markets in Turkey overflowing with bright red lingerie appearing over the festive period and boy, do they sell out like hot cakes!
2. Venice: A mass kissing in the piazza
At the St Mark’s Square in Venice you can not only witness a big firework display but indulge in a saccharine display of love and promises with your loved one.
3. Ecuador- Take an empty suitcase for a stroll to make your holiday dreams come true
If you’ve been dreaming of a holiday for a long time and not have been able to take one, follow this custom in Ecuador. Weird much?
4. Romania: Bear dance, yep not bare- Do the bear dance!
People in Romania put on bear costumes and take to the streets in cheers and jubilations. This is done to keep evil at bay. That’s one furry affair!
Suggested Read: 10 Global Festivals You’d Never Want To Attend
Planning your holiday but confused about where to go? These travel stories help you find your best trip ever!
Real travel stories. Real stays. Handy tips to help you make the right choice.
5. Spain: Stuff your mouths with to 12 grapes with the countdown
Revellers are seen with their mouths full trying to stuff 12 grapes- one for each chime of the clock during the countdown. Do this and you are guaranteed with 12 months of good luck!
6. UK: Swim in the chilly waters to kill New Year’s Eve hangover!
Nearly 2,000 people braved the icy water last year in Saundersfoot, Wales, to raise money in a charity swim. Similar swims also takes place in Scotland.
7. Chile: Camping at the graveyard!
Locals in Talca, central Chile, like to see in the new year in the company of their dead relatives. Can’t figure out if sweet or scary?!
8. South Africa: Throw away your old furniture to welcome the new year!
Residents of Johannesburg has this queer way of starting the new year afresh. Sounds like a good idea for OLX ad campaign. (Do you hear us, OLX guys?)
9. Scotland: Swing them balls of fire!
Them hot blooded vikings has this custom to parade with swinging blazing balls of fire! Phew!
Further Read: 31 Best Places In The World To Celebrate New Year 2021
Looking To Book An International Holiday?
Book memorable holidays on TravelTriangle with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.