Goa knows how to throw a party on a massive scale and make the youth of the country go crazy. So charge yourself and take out your most vibrant dress to get lost in the vivid colours of Goa Carnival 2018.
The carnival will be celebrated on the streets of Goa from 10th Feb – 13th March. Goa Carnival festival is all about dancing on the streets, vehicles festooned with flowers and feathers, people’s faces covered with masks, and the crowing of King Momo.
Where does it happen?
Cities covered – Panaji, Margao, Vasco, Mapusa
Goa carnival travels across Goa performing and spreading happiness starting from Panaji through the wonderful Margao to the quaint towns of Vasco and Mapusa. The carnival goes through interesting lanes and alleys of the almost unknown towns. If you want to explore Goan culture, then this is the time to head to the paradise.
What are the Goa carnival attractions?
Who doesn’t know about Goa’s rich Portuguese heritage, but the heavy commercialization doesn’t let you experience its vibrant tradition. However, Goa revives itself during the carnival and comes to life. Here’s what to expect:
- Colourful decorated float parades
- Sports competitions
- Authentic Goan seafood and a lot of Feni
- Fashion Shows & DJ Nights
The carnival isn’t just for friends but your family too
When you think of a Carnival, you imagine all the happening things not quite appropriate for a family trip, but this isn’t the case with Goa Carnival. People of all ages take part in it making it one of the most happening carnivals in the world. There’s no entry fee; you just have to enjoy, enjoy, and enjoy. In case you want to take part in Red & Black dance, there’s a small fee of INR 100.
Tips for those who’re planning a short trip to Goa in February
- It’s the peak season, which means all the hotels, guesthouses, and resorts will be packed and the tariff will shoot up to new highs, so book your accommodation in advance.
- The streets of Goa will be flooded with people and floats, so if you wish to visit a specific destination during the carnival, you will have to talk to your hotel staff about it.
- Keep your belongings safe, pickpockets may be lurking around.
So get your bags packing and remember to let go of your stress, have tons of fun, and take a lot of pictures so that you can relive the wonderful moments of Goa Carnival.
Further Read: 9 Reasons Why Goa Is A Backpacker’s HELL