The Jewel of India, North East is unique in its own ways. The backdrop of Khangchendzonga, gushing Brahmaputra River, and the captivating tea gardens, all combine to weave a soulful romantic getaway. But the problem is that there are simply too many breathtaking honeymoon destinations in North East India!
While being spoilt for choice is quite overwhelming, zeroing in on the best destination for a memorable honeymoon in North East India often becomes a fighter. Take your pick from this list of the most romantic places in India’s beautiful north eastern states and their key attractions for honeymooners.
15 Honeymoon Destinations In North East
Looking for honeymoon destinations in North East India? Well, fret not because we have got you covered. Here are handpicked places to explore in North East India under which you will find specific tourist attractions too. So, check them out and see what will be your honeymoon destination!
- Gangtok – The Capital Attraction
- Yuksom – The Best Of Heritage And Nature
- Lachung – Enveloped In Orchards And Pine Forests
- Pelling – Alluring With Waterfalls And Lakes
- Darjeeling – The Tea-Garden Paradise
- Kalimpong – A Heaven Between Darjeeling And Gangtok
- Guwahati – The Largest City Of Assam
- Kaziranga – The Home Of One-Horned Rhinos
- Shillong – Scotland Of The East
- Tawang – North East India’s Cultural Treasure Trove
- Ravangla – A Breathtaking Destination
- Haflong – Natural Views And Beauty
- Majuli – Largest River Island
- Dzukou Valley – An Abode Of Lilies
- Ziro Valley – The Most Beautiful Hill Station
Most Romantic Honeymoon Destinations In Sikkim
Sikkim, sharing its border with Bhutan, Nepal, and Tibet exhibits a fusion of different cultures. If you’re planning a honeymoon in Sikkim, then March to May is the best time to visit Sikkim during summer and October to December is the best time to visit Sikkim in winter.
During these two seasons, the weather is pleasant and the sky is clear. If you want to witness snowfall, head to Sikkim’s high altitude regions like Lachung and Yumthang Valley. June to September is the monsoon season, which sees heavy rainfall.
1. Gangtok – The Capital Attraction
One of the top honeymoon destinations in North East India, Gangtok welcomes love birds with comfort, luxury, and splendid nature. With vibrant markets, peaceful monasteries, adventurous trek, and a serene glacial lake, the top places in Gangtok for couples will leave you spoilt for choice. So, planning your honeymoon in Gangtok, North East is surely a great choice to make!
Attractions in Gangtok for honeymooners:
- Tashi View Point – For scenic views of Mount Kanchenjunga
- Colorful monasteries like Rumtek Monasteries
- Lake Tsomgo – the turquoise glacial lake
- Gondola Rides – For a bird’s-eye view of the town
Romantic places to stay in Gangtok:
- Mid-budget options: Central Hill Resort and Hotel New Castle
- Luxury accommodations: Mayfair Spa Resort & Casino and The Royal Plaza
Sikkim Gangtok Darjeeling Honeymoon Packages on TravelTriangle
2. Yuksom – The Best Of Heritage And Nature
Established back in 1642, Yuksom represents its culture and history quite like a serenade. You’ll come across hamlets, monuments, monasteries and always the soulful backdrop of Mount Kanchenjunga. Charming view points add to the overall appeal of this romantic hideout, which is among the top honeymoon destinations in North East India for couples. While it may come as a surprise, but Yuksom is one of the best honeymoon destinations in North East India.
Attractions in Yuksom for honeymooners:
- Kathok Monastery and Tashiding Monastery
- Khangchendzonga National Park, where you can expect to spot snow leopard, Himalayan Tahr, and clouded leopard
Romantic places to stay in Yuksom:
- Mid-budget options: Hotel Red Palace
- Luxury accommodations: Yuksom doesn’t have any luxury properties for now
3. Lachung – Enveloped In Orchards And Pine Forests
Counted among the most beautiful honeymoon destinations in North East India, Lachung is a village located in close proximity to the Tibetan border. The emerald Lachung River, pine forest, and apple orchards accentuate the beauty of the place, making a honeymoon in Lachung an out-of-the-world experience. Not just this, but Lachung also has some of the most mesmerizing honeymoon spots in North East India listed below.
Attractions in Lachung for honeymooners:
- Gurudongmar Lake, the second-highest lake in the world
- A day trip to Lachen, where Seven Sisters Waterfall and Naga Waterfall awaits you
Romantic places to stay in Lachung:
- Mid-budget options: Hotel Lachung Continental
- Luxury accommodations: Himalayan Residency and Yarlam Resort
Suggested Read: 43 Places To Visit When Travelling To North East
4. Pelling – Alluring With Waterfalls And Lakes
Alluring honeymooners with its unspoilt natural beauty, Pelling is your own little paradise and a great place for a honeymoon trip to North East India. As dusk knocks the door, glance outside the window to see white clouds kissing the snowy peaks. Spend some time beside the tranquil Khecheopalri Lake or the roaring Changey Waterfall to soak in the mesmerizing scenery of Pelling.
Attractions in Pelling for honeymooners:
- Khecheopalri Lake
- Changey Waterfall – the glistening and roaring cascade
- Rabdentse Ruins – For their rugged beauty
- Sangachoeling Monastery – The 17th century monastery, which is among the top places to visit in Pelling
Romantic places to stay in Pelling:
- Mid-budget options: Pachhu Village Resort and Himalayan Retreat & Resort are some of the best Pelling resorts.
- Luxury accommodations: Pelling does not have any luxury properties as yet. Mid-budget hotels however are quite comfy.
Most Romantic Honeymoon Destinations In West Bengal
Home to the Culture Capital of India (Kolkata), West Bengal allures lovebirds with its scenic charm and ethnicity. The best time to visit West Bengal is from October to March. During this time, West Bengal is in a festive mood, and the weather is romantic, making it one of the best honeymoon places in North East India.
5. Darjeeling – The Tea-Garden Paradise
Renowned across the world for its expansive tea gardens, Darjeeling is among the most popular honeymoon destinations in North East India. Whether you two amble through the tea gardens or trek to the Tiger Hill, Darjeeling gives you a bundle of romantic memories to look back at. This is among the best places in north east India for honeymoon.
Attractions in Darjeeling for honeymooners:
- Verdant tea gardens like Happy Valley Tea Estates, and Glenburn Tea Estate
- Early morning trek to Tiger Hill to see the sunrise. This also is among the top places to visit in Darjeeling.
- Batasia Loop – the spiral railway track with manicured garden
- A romantic toy train ride
Romantic places to stay in Darjeeling:
- Mid-budget options: Central Heritage Resort & Spa and The Elgin
- Luxury accommodations: The Elgin and Viceroy Hotel
Suggested Read: 15 Resorts In Darjeeling You’d Never Want To Leave From
6. Kalimpong – A Heaven Between Darjeeling And Gangtok
Tucked beautifully between Darjeeling and Gangtok, Kalimpong is one of the most romantic honeymoon destinations in North East India. This is counted as one of the best places to stay in north east India. This small town is a lovely place to snuggle with the one you love and behold the views.
Attractions in Kalimpong for honeymooners:
- University Nursery and Pineview Nursery – both have a variety of colorful orchids and cacti
- Durpin Dara Hill, the second-highest mountain of Kalimpong
Romantic places to stay in Kalimpong:
- Mid-budget options: Summit Barsana Resort and Spa and Park Hotel
- Luxury accommodation: The Elgin Silver Oaks
Most Romantic Honeymoon Destinations In Assam
Acclaimed for its tea gardens, Assam will bewitch you! November to May is the best time to visit Assam. Gentle cool winds make the experience more romantic. Also, March to May is the blooming period for the orchids in the valleys here, so the backdrop is enchanting too!
7. Guwahati – The Largest City Of Assam
On the banks of Brahmaputra River, Guwahati is the largest city of Assam and one of the most romantic North East honeymoon places. This massivity comes combined with various facilities for the honeymooners, since it also is among the fastest-growing cities in the country. Here, you have the luxury at its best, and nature’s pristinity by your side. This sure is among the most romantic places in North East.
Attractions in Guwahati for honeymooners:
- Dipor Bil, the freshwater lake where you can spot exotic birds like the Spot-billed pelican
- Romantic boat ride on Brahmaputra River
- Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary, where you can spot animals like One horned Rhino, Indian elephant and Asiatic Buffalo
Romantic places to stay in Guwahati:
- Mid-budget options: Cygnett Inn Repose and Hotel Brahmaputra Ashok
- Luxury accommodations: Vivanta by Taj and Radisson Blu Hotel
8. Kaziranga – The Home Of One-Horned Rhinos
Looking for some adventurous North East India honeymoon places? We got you covered. One of the most famous national parks of India, Kaziranga National Park is known for being inhabited by one-horned rhinoceros. This is a World Heritage Site, where you can expect to spot tigers, elephants, and water buffaloes. The luxury forest resorts here offer an awesome wildlife experience with all the comforts.
Attractions in Kaziranga for honeymooners:
- Jungle safari – expect to spot some elephants, tigers, and one-horned rhinos
- Tea-garden visits that are utterly romantic and serene
Romantic places to stay in Kaziranga:
- Mid-budget options: Nature-Hunt Eco Camp and Nature-Hunt Eco Camp
- Luxury accommodations: Landmark Woods, and iora The Retreat
Most Romantic Honeymoon Destinations In Meghalaya
The Abode of Clouds, Meghalaya houses the wettest place on earth (Mawsynram), the cleanest village in Asia (Mawlynnong), and the world famous Living Root Bridges! The best time to visit Meghalaya is actually around the year, excluding the monsoon season (June to September) when it rains heavily. But, in case you both are rain-lovers, this could be your heaven.
9. Shillong – Scotland Of The East
When listing the best honeymoon destinations in North East India, Shillong always follows the lead. The capital of The Abode of Clouds, Meghalaya; Shillong unfurls the colonial vibe, so much so it’s referred to as the Scotland of East. With so much to explore here, people often go for honeymoon in Shillong.
Attractions for honeymooners:
- Umiam – the calm and peaceful lake
- Milky waterfalls like Elephant Falls and Nohkalikai Falls
Romantic places to stay in Shillong:
- Mid-budget options: Café Shillong BnB
- Luxury accommodations: Ri Kynjai and Hotel Polo Towers are among the top romantic hotels in Shillong
Most Romantic Honeymoon Destinations In Arunachal Pradesh
Arunachal Pradesh allures with its monasteries and lovely landscape. October to April is the best time to visit Arunachal Pradesh. During this time, the weather is cooler in the plains, and more cool as you go to higher altitudes. June to September is when the rain falls heavily, and the visit can be avoided.
10. Tawang – North East India’s Cultural Treasure Trove
Famed for its captivating Tawang Monastery, Tawang is one of the most offbeat honeymoon destinations in North East India. Alongside its brimming enchantment, Tawang puts on a show flaunting its heritage through Monpa tribe and Losar – The Tibetian New Year. Adding the final touch of brilliance, there’s the crystal clear and babbling Tawang Chu River.
Attractions in Tawang for honeymooners:
- High motorable passes like Sela Pass and Bumla Pass
- Buddhist landmarks such as the Tawang Monastery and Taktsang Gompa
- Serene lakes Madhuri Lake and Pankang Teng Tso Lake
Romantic places to stay in Tawang:
- Mid-budget options: Hotel Dolma Chhinkar and Hotel Tashi Ga Tsel
- Luxury accommodations: There are no luxury hotels in Tawang as yet
11. Ravangla – A Breathtaking Destination
Resting at an altitude of 7,000ft. In Sikkim, Ravangla is a simply breathtaking destination and quite a perfect location to enjoy a romantic honeymoon. Boasting an unmatched view of the Greater Himalaya, the serene ambiance and the panoramic landscape just makes a picturesque scenery to enjoy. While the Reyong Sunrise Point reflects the beauty of nature’s finest views, there is also a small town named Kewzing which offers a relaxing escape from the hustle-bustle of busy life. Alongside there are also many monasteries which reflects the beauty of the exotic landscapes.
Attractions In Ravangla for Honeymooners:
- Ralong Hot Springs
- Maenam Hills
- Bon Monastery
Romantic Places To Stay In Ravangla:
Mid-budget options: Hotel Rock Vill
Luxury Accommodations: Hotel Zumthang
12. Haflong – Natural Views And Beauty
There is no doubt that North East is blessed with some of the best natural views which doubles up the excitement. And when it comes to defining the beauty of Assam, then Haflong is the best example. It is one of the best destinations for the honeymooners to visit and enjoy the spectacular views. Resting at a height of 680 m, this place is known for its picturesque scenic views and rich heritage.
Attractions In Haflong for Honeymooners:
- Haflong Hill
- Haflong Lake
Romantic Places To Stay In Haflong:
Mid-budget options: The Landmark Hotel
Luxury Accommodations: Nhoshring Guest House
13. Majuli – Largest River Island
Majuli is considered as the world’s largest river island which is located at a distance of 20Kms from Jorhat Town in Assam. This is quite a breathtaking place which is also famous among the honeymooners. Away from all the hustle-bustle of the city life, this place is quite a relaxing location to enjoy a laid-back vacation.
Attractions In Majuli for Honeymooners:
- Kamakhya Temple atop Nilachal Hills
- Agnigarh in Tezpur town
Romantic Places To Stay Near Majuli:
Mid-budget options: La Maison De Anand
Luxury Accommodations: Po Okum
14. Dzukou Valley – An Abode Of Lilies
The Dzukou valley is located at a distance of 25Kms from Kohima at a height of around 2,462m. Adorned by the vastly spread bed of lilies and red and white rhododendrons, the pristine blue sky complements the greenery. This place is also called the ‘valley of celestial charm’ and considered as one of the best honeymoon places in North-east India.
Attractions In Dzukou Valley for Honeymooners:
- Japfu Peak, Kohima
- Heritage DC Bungalow Kohima
- Kohima Botanical Garden
Romantic Places To Stay Near Dzukou Valley:
Mid-budget options: Dzukou Valley Guest House
Luxury Accommodations: Hotel Japfu
15. Ziro Valley – The Most Beautiful Hill Station
Away from the hustle bustle of the city life, Ziro Valley is situated at an altitude of 1,500 m and considered as one of the most beautiful hill stations in Arunachal Pradesh. Boasting a quiet and serene surrounding, there are paddy fields, bamboo and pine groves which makes a great location to relax and enjoy nature’s finest views with your partner. This land of music and vibrance it certainly one of the most offbeat honeymoon destinations in North East India.
Attractions In Ziro Valley for Honeymooners:
- Ziro Putu
- Dolo Mando
- Talley Valley
Romantic Places To Stay Near Ziro Valley:
Mid-budget options: Ziro Palace Inn
Luxury Accommodations: Hotel Blue Pine
Further Read: 31 Reasons Why You Should Never Visit Northeast India
Hope this list of honeymoon destinations in North East India came as a resource for you. Buck up and get going! Just plan your trip to North East India with TravelTriangle and see what all awaits you and your loved one there. Make sure that you are carrying a camera with you so as to capture some amazing views.
Disclaimer: TravelTriangle claims no credit for images featured on our blog site unless otherwise noted. All visual content is copyrighted to its respectful owners. We try to link back to original sources whenever possible. If you own the rights to any of the images, and do not wish them to appear on TravelTriangle, please contact us and they will be promptly removed. We believe in providing proper attribution to the original author, artist or photographer.
For our editorial codes of conduct and copyright disclaimer, please click here.
Frequently Asked Questions About Honeymoon Destinations In North East India
Is North East good for honeymoon?
Northeast India is one of the top destinations for a honeymoon. The beauty of the northeast is unparalleled. Other than the scenic beauty, there are adventurous activities, peaceful ambiance, and luxury hotels and resorts for one of the best experiences.
Is Shillong good for honeymoon?
Shillong is a beautiful hill station in Meghalaya, and if one is looking for a hill station destination, then Shillong is a great choice. One can visit Shillong and places near it on a honeymoon.
Which is the most beautiful state in North East India?
There are 8 states in Northeast India, and all of these states are beautiful in their own unique way. With a dramatic landscape, lush green meadows, and snow-covered mountains encompassing it, which makes a honeymoon in Sikkim memorable one.
What is the best time to visit North East?
The temperature is pleasant in the Northeast during the months of November to May, which is why this is the best period to head here. If one wants to enjoy the lush green beauty of Northeast India, then they can choose to visit Northeast in monsoons.
Where does it snow in North East India?
If one wants to enjoy snow in Northeast India then there are some places close to Gangtok like Tsomgo lake and Nathula Pass where one can enjoy snowfall.
Which language is spoken in North East India?
About 200 different languages and dialects are spoken in the seven sister states of Assam, Meghalaya, Manipur, Nagaland, Tripura, Mizoram, and Arunachal Pradesh in the North East.
Which is the most beautiful place in Meghalaya?
Shillong, Cherapunjee, Nongstoin, and Tura are some of the most beautiful places to visit in Meghalaya.
What is the best time to visit Meghalaya?
October and June are the two best months to visit Meghalaya when the weather here is pleasant and the temperature doesn’t go beyond 30°C.
Is Arunachal Pradesh a safe place to visit?
Arunachal Pradesh is, in fact, the safest place to visit in the North-East and there have been fewer instances of crimes with tourists in this part of India till now. However, make sure you adhere to basic precautions like keeping an eye on your belongings and avoiding dimly lit and secluded areas after dark.
What is the best time to visit Arunachal Pradesh?
October to April is generally considered to be the most ideal time to visit Arunachal Pradesh since the weather is most pleasant and good for outdoor activities.
People Also Read: