The Jewel of India, North East is unique in its own ways. The backdrop of Khangchendzonga, gushing Brahmaputra River, and the captivating tea gardens, all combine to weave a soulful romantic getaway. But the problem is that there are simply too many breathtaking honeymoon destinations in North East India!
While being spoilt for choice is quite overwhelming, zeroing in on the best destination for a memorable honeymoon in North East India often becomes a fighter. Take your pick from this list of most romantic places in India’s beautiful north eastern states and their key attractions for honeymooners.
Most romantic honeymoon destinations in Sikkim
Sikkim, sharing its border with Bhutan, Nepal, and Tibet exhibits a fusion of different cultures. If you’re planning a honeymoon in Sikkim, then March to May is the best time to visit Sikkim during summer and October to December is the best time to visit Sikkim in winter.
During these two seasons, the weather is pleasant and the sky is clear. If you want to witness snowfall, head to Sikkim’s high altitude regions like Lachung and Yumthang Valley. June to September is the monsoon season, which sees heavy rainfall.
1. Gangtok – The Capital attraction
One of the top honeymoon destinations in North East India, Gangtok welcomes love birds with comfort, luxury, and splendid nature. With vibrant markets, peaceful monasteries, adventurous trek, and a serene glacial lake, the top places in Gangtok for couples will leave you spoilt for choice.
Attractions in Gangtok for honeymooners:
- Tashi View Point – For scenic views of Mount Kanchenjunga
- Colorful monasteries like Rumtek Monasteries
- Lake Tsomgo – the turquoise glacial lake
- Gondola Rides – For a bird’s-eye view of the town
Romantic places to stay in Gangtok:
- Mid-budget options: Central Hill Resort and Hotel New Castle
- Luxury accommodations: Mayfair Spa Resort & Casino and The Royal Plaza
Must Read: 15 Cozy Budget Hotels In Gangtok
Sikkim Gangtok Darjeeling Honeymoon Packages on TravelTriangle
Visit Sikkim and explore Yumthang valley, Tsomgo Lake, Gangtok, Nathula Pass, and Pelling. Spend exclusive time with your other half in peace and tranquility while exploring Buddhist monasteries, snow-capped mountains, and wildlife sanctuaries.
2. Yuksom – The best of heritage and nature
Established back in 1642, Yuksom represents its culture and history quite like a serenade. You’ll come across hamlets, monuments, monasteries and always the soulful backdrop of Mount Kanchenjunga. Charming view points add to the overall appeal of this romantic hideout, which is among the top honeymoon destinations in North East India for couples.
Attractions in Yuksom for honeymooners:
- Kathok Monastery and Tashiding Monastery
- Khangchendzonga National Park, where you can expect to spot snow leopard, Himalayan Tahr, and clouded leopard
Romantic places to stay in Yuksom:
- Mid-budget options: Hotel Red Palace
- Luxury accommodations: Yuksom doesn’t have any luxury properties for now
3. Lachung – Enveloped in orchards and pine forests
Counted among the most beautiful honeymoon destinations in North East India, Lachung is a village located in close proximity to the Tibetan border. The emerald Lachung River, pine forest, and apple orchards accentuate the beauty of the place, making a honeymoon in Lachung an out-of-the-world experience.
Attractions in Lachung for honeymooners:
- Gurudongmar Lake, the second-highest lake in the world
- A day trip to Lachen, where Seven Sisters Waterfall and Naga Waterfall awaits you
Romantic places to stay in Lachung:
- Mid-budget options: Hotel Lachung Continental
- Luxury accommodations: Himalayan Residency and Yarlam Resort
4. Pelling – Alluring with waterfalls and lakes
Alluring honeymooners with its unspoilt natural beauty, Pelling is your own little paradise. As dusk knocks the door, glance outside the window to see white clouds kissing the snowy peaks. Spend some time beside the tranquil Khecheopalri Lake or the roaring Changey Waterfall to soak in the mesmerizing scenery of Pelling.
Attractions in Pelling for honeymooners:
- Khecheopalri Lake
- Changey Waterfall – the glistening and roaring cascade
- Rabdentse Ruins – For their rugged beauty
- Sangachoeling Monastery – The 17th century monastery, which is among the top places to visit in Pelling
Romantic places to stay in Pelling:
- Mid-budget options: Pachhu Village Resort and Himalayan Retreat & Resort
- Luxury accommodations: Pelling does not have any luxury properties as yet. Mid-budget hotels however are quite comfy.
Most romantic honeymoon destinations in West Bengal
Home to the Culture Capital of India (Kolkata), West Bengal allures lovebirds with its scenic charm and ethnicity. The best time to visit West Bengal is from October to March. During this time, West Bengal is in a festive mood, and the weather is romantic.
5. Darjeeling – The tea-garden paradise
Renowned across the world for its expansive tea gardens, Darjeeling is among the most popular honeymoon destinations in North East India. Whether you two amble through the tea gardens or trek to the Tiger Hill, Darjeeling gives you a bundle of romantic memories to look back at.
Attractions in Darjeeling for honeymooners:
- Verdant tea gardens like Happy Valley Tea Estates, and Glenburn Tea Estate
- Early morning trek to Tiger Hill to see sunrise. This also is among the top places to visit in Darjeeling.
- Batasia Loop – the spiral railway track with manicured garden
- A romantic toy train ride
Romantic places to stay in Darjeeling:
- Mid-budget options: Central Heritage Resort & Spa and The Elgin
- Luxury accommodations: The Elgin and Viceroy Hotel
6. Kalimpong – A heaven between Darjeeling and Gangtok
Tucked beautifully between Darjeeling and Gangtok, Kalimpong is one of the most romantic honeymoon destinations in North East India. This small town is a lovely place to snuggle with the one you love and behold the views.
Attractions in Kalimpong for honeymooners:
- University Nursery and Pineview Nursery – both have a variety of colorful orchids and cacti
- Durpin Dara Hill, the second-highest mountain of Kalimpong
Romantic places to stay in Kalimpong:
- Mid-budget options: Summit Barsana Resort and Spa and Park Hotel
- Luxury accommodation: The Elgin Silver Oaks
Most romantic honeymoon destinations in Assam
Acclaimed for its tea gardens, Assam will bewitch you! November to May is the best time to visit Assam. Gentle cool winds make the experience more romantic. Also March to May is the blooming period for the orchids in the valleys here, so the backdrop is enchanting too!
7. Guwahati – The largest city of Assam
On the banks of Brahmaputra River, Guwahati is the largest city of Assam. This massivity comes combined with various facilities for the honeymooners, since it also is among the fastest-growing cities of the country. Here, you have the luxury at its best, and nature’s pristinity by your side. This sure is among the most romantic places in North East.
Attractions in Guwahati for honeymooners:
- Dipor Bil, the freshwater lake where you can spot exotic birds like the Spot-billed pelican
- Romantic boat ride on Brahmaputra River
- Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary, where you can spot animals like One horned Rhino, Indian elephant and Asiatic Buffalo
Romantic places to stay in Guwahati:
- Mid-budget options: Cygnett Inn Repose and Hotel Brahmaputra Ashok
- Luxury accommodations: Vivanta by Taj and Radisson Blu Hotel
8. Kaziranga – The home of one-horned rhinos
One of the most famous national parks of India, Kaziranga National Park is known for being inhabited by one-horned rhinoceros. This is a World Heritage Site, where you can expect to spot tigers, elephants, and water buffaloes. The luxury forest resorts here offer an awesome wildlife experience with all the comforts.
Attractions in Kaziranga for honeymooners:
- Jungle safari – expect to spot some elephants, tigers, and one-horned rhinos
- Tea-garden visits that are utterly romantic and serene
Romantic places to stay in Kaziranga:
- Mid-budget options: Nature-Hunt Eco Camp and Nature-Hunt Eco Camp
- Luxury accommodations: Landmark Woods, and iora The Retreat
Most romantic honeymoon destination in Meghalaya
The Abode of Clouds, Meghalaya houses the wettest place on earth (Mawsynram), the cleanest village in Asia (Mawlynnong), and the world famous Living Root Bridges! The best time to visit Meghalaya is actually around the year, excluding the monsoon season (June to September) when it rains heavily. But, in case you both are rain-lovers, this could be your heaven.
9. Shillong – Scotland of the East
When listing the mesmerizing honeymoon places in North East India, Shillong always follows the lead. The capital of The Abode of Clouds, Meghalaya; Shillong unfurls the colonial vibe, so much so it’s referred to as the Scotland of East.
Attractions for honeymooners:
- Umiam – the calm and peaceful lake
- Milky waterfalls like Elephant Falls and Nohkalikai Falls
Romantic places to stay in Shillong:
- Mid-budget options: Café Shillong BnB
- Luxury accommodations: Ri Kynjai and Hotel Polo Towers are among the top romantic hotels in Shillong
Most romantic honeymoon destination in Arunachal Pradesh
Arunachal Pradesh allures with its monasteries and lovely landscape. October to April is the best time to visit Arunachal Pradesh. During this time, the weather is cooler in the plains, and more cool as you go to higher altitudes. June to September is when the rain falls heavily, and the visit can be avoided.
10. Tawang – North East India’s cultural treasure trove
Famed for its captivating Tawang Monastery, Tawang is one of the most romantic places in North East. Alongside its brimming enchantment, Tawang puts on a show flaunting its heritage through Monpa tribe and Losar – The Tibetian New Year. Adding the final touch of brilliance, there’s the crystal clear and babbling Tawang chu River.
Attractions in Tawang for honeymooners:
- High motorable passes like Sela Pass and Bumla Pass
- Buddhist landmarks such as the Tawang Monastery and Taktsang Gompa
- Serene lakes Madhuri Lake and Pankang Teng Tso Lake
Romantic places to stay in Tawang:
- Mid-budget options: Hotel Dolma Chhinkar and Hotel Tashi Ga Tsel
- Luxury accommodations: There are no luxury hotels in Tawang as yet
Hope this list of honeymoon destinations in North East India came as a resource for you. Buck up and get going!
Further Read: 31 Reasons Why You Should Never Visit Northeast India
Looking To Book Your Honeymoon Package?
Book memorable honeymoon on TravelTriangle with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.