The district of Coorg, situated in the midst of mountains and hills in Karnataka is the place to be for all adventure junkies. This attraction is popularly known as the most challenging destination for white-water and Stillwater river rafting. It is officially known as Kodagu and nicknamed “The Scotland of India” for its breathtaking and alluring scenery filled with exotic flowers and trees. This area is also famous for its production of exquisite coffee and spices. Tourists get the full package when visiting Coorg, as not only do they participate in river rafting they also experience the making of coffee and spices in one of the best places to make coffee. Coorg is blessed with hills, rivers, mountains, and forests, thus, river rafting in Coorg is a very popular activity that attracts tourists to its abode every year. The Kodavas, locals of Kodagu also specialize in martial arts and boasts of exceptional hospitality.
Once you navigate through the Barapole river with your friends using your inflatable raft, you would appreciate the beauty of Coorg. River rafting is an audacious sport and it is usually done on white-water or Stillwater. It is recommended to take classes and do a mock drill before embarking on this once in a lifetime experience.
Best Time For River Rafting In Coorg
The best time for river rafting in Coorg is when the monsoon has spiked between July and September. During this period the white-water would be full and rapid flow is expected. One can also raft outside the heavy rainy season between December and January when the Stillwater will be less full of moderate flow and activity in the water. Stillwater rafting can also be done during the summer and winter seasons. The time for rafting in any of the locations is from 9 am to 3 pm and it can last for a maximum of 4hours which is the long-distance and a minimum of 30minutes for short distances.
2 Best Places For River Rafting In Coorg
The best places for river rafting in Coorg are The Barapole River Rafting Base found near the Brahmagiri Wildlife Sanctuary and The Dubare River Rafting Base found in the Dubare Elephant Camp. Let’s check out the best spots to find you the adventure of your lifetime.
1. Barapole River Rafting Base
This river is popularly known for its fierce turbulence and magnificent white-water. It is the best place for white river rafting in Coorg. It possesses rapids of grade V flow and it is the best rafting in Coorg destination for risk-takers and tourists who want to skyrocket their adrenaline levels. The river, also known as Kathu-Kakkatu River and nicknamed The Big Bang, Morning Coffee, Grasshopper, etc, offers one of the riskiest river rafting experiences in the whole of Karnataka. One will get to enjoy the fascinating beauty of wildlife and nature during your flow through the green forests of Brahmagiri Wildlife Sanctuary. This is one of the most intoxicating adventures that you can enjoy with your family and friends. It is recommended to take white-water rafting classes and mock drills before indulging in this activity. For first-timers on the Barapole river, safeguards accompany on the raft due to its turbulence. Tourists visit this river during the monsoon season when the river has rapid flow.
2. Dubare River Rafting Base
Unlike the Barapole river, this river is Stillwater and much calmer. It is in the rapid grades of I and II. It is a recommended spot for beginners and first-timers who aren’t risk-takers and no special training or drill is required. As you flow calmly through the river, you would appreciate the beautiful forest and spot one or two animals or birds in their natural terrain. Located at the Elephant Camp, one can decide to camp out and watch the lives of Elephants. Tourists visit this river during winter or summer as this is when it has moderate flow.
The Average Cost Of River Rafting In Coorg
There are various river rafting packages available to individuals by the companies that run river rafting in Coorg. However, the price of river rafting in Coorg ranges from Rs.1000 to Rs.2000 per person. The packages offered by the state costs about Rs.1200 for each individual.
Tips for River Rafting In Coorg
Before you indulge in this sport, it is necessary to know some key tips. Coorg water rafting is an outdoor activity that involves teamwork and balance. Here are some tips for you to know:
- Make sure to attend the training sessions and mock drills before participating in this sport.
- The set of teams will be escorted by guides and safeguards and life jackets will be distributed. Make sure you check that the life jacket is working properly and if not get it changed before heading to the river.
- It is okay to eat before the activity but make sure it is light food
- Pregnant women and children are not allowed to go river rafting
- Tourists who are between the ages of 14 to 60 and have a weight below 110kg can partake in river rafting.
Top 3 Places To Visit In Coorg
Apart from river rafting, Coorg is blessed with natural beauty all around you with lush green tropical forests and hills that will captivate your mind and soul.
1. Brahmagiri Wildlife Sanctuary
This sanctuary is popularly known as a tiger reserve. It has surplus plant species and animals. It is a place for wildlife lovers and photographers.
2. Madikeri Fort
This 17th-century fort turned museum is a must-see place when in Coorg. The museum is packed with historic artifacts, antique items for the delight of tourists. You get to learn the culture of the locals.
Suggested Read: 8 Silvery Waterfalls In Coorg That Are Waiting To Be Explored
3. Abbey Falls
This waterfall is a beauty to behold when visiting Coorg. There is a bridge for tourists to stand, walk and take pictures of the waterfall. It has a rapid flow of water coming down into the river. One mustn’t leave Coorg without visiting this waterfall.
Things To Do In Coorg
Image Credit – Yathin S Krishnappa for Wikipedia
Besides river rafting, there are other things you can do in Coorg. Some of the best things to do in coorg are amongst adventure sports activities, let’s check out the best of them as this is a few compared to the many more activities that tourists can indulge in when in Coorg.
- Trekking to the beautiful and vast hilltops and mountains
- Archery, rifle shooting and zip lining on the hills
- Mountain and quad biking at Chelavara
- Sunset Jeep Drive at Mandalpatti
- Plantation walk
Places To Stay Near Coorg
Disclaimer: The image is for representation purposes only.
There are many exquisite and budget-friendly hotels and resorts near Coorg. They have spacious rooms, breakfast options, parking space, Wi-Fi facilities, so you can enjoy your stay at any of these places.
- Woodstock Resort
- Evolve Back
- Club Mahindra
- Purple Palms Resort and Spa
- Heritage Resort
- The Yellow Bamboo Resort
- The Blue Mountains Estate Stay
- Taj Madikeri Resort and Spa
- Paddington Resort and Spa
Restaurants In Coorg
Image Credit – Sudiptorana for Wikimedia
Coorg boasts of exceptional Kodava cuisine. There are various cuisines found in Coorg like Akki Oti (rice chapatis), crab meat, dried fish, Pulvas, mushrooms and so on. Most restaurants in Coorg serve vegetarian foods alongside Indian, Chinese and Continental cuisines. During your stay in Coorg, you can visit any of these restaurants and indulge in mouth-watering dishes.
- Malaya Restaurant – This restaurant is famous for its Indian foods, legendary dumplings, and noodle soup
- Atithi Restaurant – This is the one-stop vegetarian restaurant for all kinds of vegetarian dishes
- Coorg Cuisine – Head to this restaurant to get the best of Kodava cuisines. They are popular for serving succulent pork with bamboo shoot and rice dumplings. This restaurant is one of the best in town.
- East End Hotel Restaurant – This is another restaurant where authentic Kodava cuisines are served. Though the environment and service might not be top-notch, the food makes up for every other flaw.
What to pack
Image Credit – Rootonara from Pixabay
When you are traveling for river rafting it is advised that you pack the following;
- Dry clothes, in case you get wet while rafting
- Comfortable shoes and clothes
- Try not to wear bulky or loose clothing, or any form of jewelry when going for river rafting.
- Don’t forget your camera to take beautiful pictures with.
How to reach Coorg
White-water river rafting usually takes place in Barapole while Stillwater rafting occurs at Dubare. Tourists have unforgettable experiences from these beautiful places. You can get to these destinations by air, train, and road.
- By air – The nearest airport to Coorg is at Mandalore. The airport is linked to all the cities in Karnataka. The second nearest airport is located in Bangalore and it is about 250km away from Coorg. From the airport, you can take a bus or cab to complete the trip to the river rafting base.
- By train – The nearest train station is in Mysore. The rest of the trip will be via road.
- By road – From the airport or train station, take a cab or bus heading to the rafting spots through the Nagarhole forest which is the fastest route to the rafting base.
Further Read: 20 Best Resorts In Coorg For A Luxurious Stay
River rafting in Coorg is the tip of the iceberg of what Coorg has to offer its visitors annually. Plan a trip to Coorg and expect to be blown away by its magnificence, beauty, outdoor activities, resorts, cuisines, and festivals. The Scotland of India is the place to have an unforgettable, adventurous experience during the holiday.
Frequently Asked Questions About River Rafting In Coorg
A. The best time for river rafting in Coorg is when the monsoon has spiked between July and September, especially for white-water rafting. You can also raft between December and January after the monsoon season, winter and summer seasons for Stillwater rafting.
A. Make sure you pack a pair of dry clothes in case you get wet, comfortable shoes and clothing also, don’t forget your camera.
A. The famous places for river rafting are the Barapole River Rafting Base near the Brahmagiri Wildlife Sanctuary for whitewater river rafting and the Dubare River Rafting Base located at the Dubare Elephant Camp for Stillwater river rafting activities.
A. The cost of river rafting in Coorg is dependent on various packages available to tourists from the many companies running the rafting activity. The price ranges from Rs.1000 to Rs.2000 per individual by these companies and Rs.1200 per person by the state.
A. On each raft, there are about 6-8 people with a guide showing the team how to navigate easily through the river
A. Your visit to Coorg can last between 3-5 days for the experience of a lifetime.
A. Yes. Children and pregnant women are not allowed to participate and only tourists between the ages 14-60 with weight below 110kg can indulge.
A. There are two types of river rafting in Coorg, namely: Whitewater river rafting and Stillwater river rafting.
Looking To Book A Holiday Package?
People Also Read: