They say ‘the best places are often off the map’, and we don’t deny it at all. Discovered by tourists over the years, Nandi Hills in Karnataka is the perfect testimony to this, and has become a famous holiday spot now. Though, surrounded with breathtaking views, spectacular attractions, and surreal experiences, this place is still a tiny hidden gem located in the south.
Ideal for both a quick getaway and a long refreshing escape, Nandi is an absolute paradise to be in. But, if you’re still wondering if you should visit it or not, scroll down and take a look at everything from why you must visit to the best places to see because you surely wouldn’t want to regret later.
Top Reasons For Visiting Nandi Hills
- This place is drop-dead gorgeous
- It is just a road trip away from Bangalore
- It is home to the site from where Tipu Sultan used to get his prisoners pushed off
- All the prominent dignitaries like Queen Elizabeth II, Mahatma Gandhi, and more have enjoyed a stay here
- You can visit this place at any time of the year
- Every view is worth a thousand Instagram likes
Best Time To Visit Nandi Hills
One of the best things about this place is that it can be visited at any time of the year. All you’ve got to do is pick a date and pack your bags. However, if you’re looking for the ideal weather, then plan your trip between October to May, since the temperature during this time ranges from 10 to 40 degrees Celsius. The remaining months, which are June to September often receive moderate rainfall, which keep the hills drenched throughout the time.
How To Reach Nandi Hills
Being a small hill station in Karnataka, this place can be reached by all modes of commute, i.e. by air, train, and road, but not directly except by road. The nearest airport is Kempegowda International Airport in Bangalore from where you can hire a cab or taxi.
If you wish to experience the train journey, then the nearest station where you can deboard is Chikkaballapur from where both buses and taxis are available. But, if you’re looking for a short road trip, you can cover the distance of 60 km between Bangalore and Nandi by driving yourself.
The hill station has both auto rickshaws and taxis, which you can use for commuting within the city. However, the best way to witness its beauty in all its glory is to explore it on foot.
Places To See In Nandi Hills
1. Tipu’s Drop
Located on a hilltop on a cliff which is 600 metres above the elevated ground, Tipu’s Drop is one of the oldest and most famous tourist attractions in Nandi. While this place is known for being the cliff from where the prisoners were pushed off, it also offers a spellbinding view of the town.
Ideal Duration: 1 hour
Timings: 6:00 AM to 6:30 AM
2. Bhoga Nandeeshwara Temple
Also known as Nandi Temple, this place which dates back to the 9th century is one of the oldest temples in Karnataka. Its beautiful complex set up at the base of the hills boasts a spellbinding architecture, which makes a visit to this place worth a dime and your time.
Ideal Duration: 1 hour
Timings: 6:00 AM to 7:00 PM
3. Tipu’s Summer Residence
Suggested Read: Seven Wonders Of India That You Wouldn’t Want To Miss
Another popular place to see in Nandi is Tipu’s Summer Residence, which he also used to refer as Tashk-e-jannat. It is made mainly of wood and boasts carved arches and pillars along with beautifully painted walls & ceilings. This place is definitely a must-see on your trip.
Ideal Duration: 1 hour
The cave was used by then Sage Ramakrishna Paramhansa for meditation, and now has become a popular tourist attraction. If you’re more of a peace seeker, then this place near Nandi Hills in Bangalore is the perfect spot to visit for rejuvenating your mind, body, and soul.
Ideal Duration: 2 hours
Things To Do In Nandi Hills
Suggested Read: 10 Hill Stations in Karnataka To Rejuvenate Yourself
Be it biking or cycling, the spectacular landscape, terrific terrain, and the majestic altitude makes it a top thing to do in the hills. We can vouch that paddling amidst the breezy ambience of the hills would surely turn out to be the most soul-satisfying experience of your trip.
2. Take a walk along the hills
While there’s so much to see and do in Nandi, the best experience to have is to take a stroll on the walkway along the hills in the morning or evening. You would not only get to witness charm of the town, but also capture the beauty of nature with your eyes at its best.
Being amongst the few places in the state, Nandi offers an extraordinary flying experience to travelers of all kinds. Paragliding amidst the lush green hills and serene valleys, you’d definitely have the time of your life. Just make sure, you have checked the weather beforehand and scheduled your flight accordingly.
Hotels In Nandi Hills Near Bangalore
1. Nandi Hills Resort
Surrounded with natural beauty in all its glory, this place one of the best Nandi Hills hotels that offer a true experiential stay. Luxury, comfort, and hospitality aren’t just words for them to impress their guests, rather attributes that are quite visible in their services.
2. Nehru Nilaya
Absolutely ideal for a budget stay in Nandi Hills, accommodation at this place is offered by the Horticulture Department as per the guest’s needs. The rooms feature the old-world charm, have homelike comfort, and are spacious enough irrespective of whether it’s a cottage or a suite.
3. Mount Palazzo
If you’re looking for good hotels near Nandi Hills , then Mount Palazzo is the perfect place to stay. Nestled amidst picturesque hills, this hotel offers the best of hospitality and comfort for making your holiday memorable. From indulging in various indoor games to savouring their chef’s delectable cuisines, there’s a lot at this place that would pamper you.
Tips For Visiting Nandi Hills
- While you can visit this hill station at any time of the year, it is best to avoid a holiday during the monsoon.
- If you come across monkeys or stray dogs, avoid feeding them anything.
- Make sure the windows and doors of your car are shut at all the times.
- Since this place has very limited food options, prefer carrying your own packaged food.
- Try and get back to your hotel by 6 PM since it gets dark quite early.
- If you’re traveling along with your family, keep a watch at your kids as most of the roads have very steep edges.
- Don’t forget to carry your camera as there are a lot of picturesque places in Nandi.
- If you’re driving to Nandi via your own car, prefer parking it at the parking (taxi or bus stand) and walk all the way up to the hills as it is more convenient and time-saving.
- To avoid crimes, mostly all the places are closed for tourists around 6 PM. So, make sure you plan your itinerary accordingly and do not wander on the streets after that.
- If possible, try and wake up early so that you can witness the beautiful Nandi hills sunrise.
Nandi is a gorgeous place near Bangalore, and needless to say it is worth traveling to all the way for a refreshing holiday experience. So, don’t think further and get ready to head out on the road not taken!