Have you ever been to the south? If yes, you’d know what a gem Tamil Nadu is. If you haven’t, it’s time you think about taking a trip now because the state is home to a lot of beautiful places. In fact, even drop dead gorgeous would be an underexpression to describe the beauty of the best tourist places in Tamil Nadu. These places are brimming with beautiful temples, serene beaches, spectacular forts & waterfalls, and more, which only means that there are multiple excuses for you to pack your bags and head for a tour!
But before you start planning a tour, scroll through this list of 35 top tourist places in Tamil Nadu, which are absolutely worth exploring:
Best Tourist Places In Tamil Nadu
Looking for some of the best tourist places in Tamil Nadu? Check out the below list and choose the best for your next trip.
- Chennai – Cultural Centre
- Pondicherry – French Colony
- Mudumalai – Ancient Hills
- Dhanushkodi – Beautiful Abandoned Town
- Hogenakkal – Gorgeous Waterfalls
- Tuticorin – Stunning Beaches
- Kanyakumari – Southernmost Tip Of India
- Trichy – Historical Temples
- Nagapattinam – Renowned Pilgrimage Site
- Vellore – The Fort City
- Pollachi – Popular Tollywood Destination
- Yanam – Unique Culture And History
- Tranquebar – A Tranquil Beach Town
- Chettinad – Every Food Lover’s Paradise
- Courtallam – Spa Town Of Tamil Nadu
- Madurai – Stunning Architecture
- Chidambaram – Gorgeous Temple Town
- Mahabalipuram – Magnificent Carved Temples
- Rameshwaram – Temple Hopping
- Thanjavur – Centre Of Art
- Velankanni – Beautiful Coastal Town
- Kanchipuram – Pretty Kanchipuram Sarees
- Coimbatore – A Major Textile Hub
- Tirunelveli – Scenic Beauty
- Kumbakonam – Historic Beauty
- Tiruvannamalai – Town With Spiritual Significance
- Dharmapuri – City Of Places Of Worship
- Ooty – Queen Of Hill Stations
- Kodaikanal – Breathtaking Natural Beauty
- Coonoor – Thrilling Joyride
- Yelagiri – Exciting Adventure Activities
- Yercaud – Ooty Of Poor People
- Kotagiri – Captivating Waterfalls
- Valparai – Beautiful Hill Station
- Theni – The Magical Land
- Vedanthangal – Paradise For Bird Lovers
- Tharangambadi – The Land Of The Singing Waves
- Salem – Explore The Bucolic Nature
- Kolli Hills – Ride Through The Bent Curves
- Palani – Wrapped Within Two Hills
- Dindigul – A Historical City
- Mayiladuthurai – The Peacock Town
- Thiruvarur – A Blend Of Cultures
- Pulicat – For Bird Watchers
- Auroville – Town Of Peace
1. Chennai – Cultural Centre
Being the capital of the state and a home to beautiful temples, churches, and beaches, Chennai is best tourist place in Tamil Nadu that would let you have a real glimpse of South India and its lifestyle. With numerous places to visit in Chennai such as Marina Beach, Museums, Kapaleeshwara temple, and much more, this place is one of its kind. If culture, history, or art lies anywhere under your interest list, this is a place you should definitely consider visiting!
Best Time to Visit Chennai: November to February
- Shop for sarees, jewelry, and other handicrafts at Pondy Bazaar, Anna Salai, or Mylapore
- Spend time at Marina Beach
- Indulge in the famous local food, and party at The Westminster or 10 Downing Street
South Weekend Holiday Packages On TravelTriangle
2. Pondicherry – French Colony
Also known as Puducherry, this is an ideal place for explorers, beach lovers, and experience-seekers interested in French culture and architecture. With an extensive number of romantic places in Pondicherry, this Union Territory reeks of excitement and vibrancy. If you have had too much of Goa already or even if you haven’t, it’s time you witness the charm of Pondy! In addition, traveling from Chennai to Pondicherry has been made much more easier and this is what attracts the young crowd to one of the best tourist places in Tamilnadu and the land of beautiful beaches to rejuvenate and relax.
Best Time to Visit Pondicherry: October to March
- Visit the famous Aurobindo Ashram
- Indulge in watersports at Paradise Beach
- Savour croissants, baguettes, and other famous French cuisine
3. Mudumalai – Ancient Hills
Located in the Nilgiri hills, Mudumalai is one of the best tourist places in Tamil Nadu, which is known for its wildlife persona. For anyone who loves an encounter with nature in the most unique way, the national park here is a must visit.
Best Time to Visit Mudumalai: October to May
- Spot tigers, leopards, golden jackals, and more at Mudumalai National Park
- Capture the beautiful landscapes
- Interact with elephants at the Theppakadu Elephant Camp
4. Dhanushkodi – Beautiful Abandoned Town
If you are someone who’s on a constant lookout for places that are away from the city life, Dhanushkodi is one of the best places to visit in Tamil Nadu. This beach town’s grandeur and beauty make Dhanushkodi one of the best tourist places in Tamilnadu for your next refreshing getaway!
Best Time to Visit Dhanushkodi: October to February
- Unwind and relax at the Dhanushkodi Beach
- Savour the gorgeous views from the Adam’s Bridge
- Visit the Gulf of Mannar Marine National Park
Suggested Read: 5 Homestays In Chennai For A True Tamilian Hospitality
5. Hogenakkal – Gorgeous Waterfalls
Of all the best places to visit in Tamil Nadu, Hogenakkal is a hometown of gorgeous waterfalls. Situated in Dharampuri, this small village is an absolute hotspot for romantic getaways, a short family vacay, and even an offbeat trip with your friends.
Best Time to Visit Hogenakkal: September to March
- Be spellbound by the famous Hogenakkal Falls
- Visit the Melagiri Hills
- Go temple hopping, and explore the Pennagram Village
6. Tuticorin – Stunning Beaches
This is one place in South India that lets you witness the best of everything at one place. From boasting a beautiful beach, a spectacular wildlife sanctuary to numerous temples & churches, Tuticorin is one of the best tourist places in Tamilnadu that makes sure that every moment of your holiday outshines the previous one.
Best Time to Visit Tuticorin: November to March
- Visit the Kalakkad Wildlife Sanctuary
- Explore the temples, and unwind on the beaches
- Relish sweets like Tuticorin macaroons
Suggested Read: 44 Famous Historical Places In India To Visit In 2020
7. Kanyakumari – Southernmost Tip Of India
Famous for being one of the most exotic places to visit in Tamilnadu, Kanyakumari is a paradise for experience-seekers. The art, architecture of temples, and even the local cuisine along with so many places to see in Kanyakumari that reflects every bit of its culture will leave you fascinated!
Best Time to Visit Kanyakumari: October to March
- Go on an excursion tour to Kumari Amman Temple or to the Vattakottai Fort.
- Relax at Sanguthurai Beach, the Sothavilai Beach. or the Kanyakumari Beach.
- Visit the famous Vivekananda Rock Memorial
8. Trichy – Historical Temples
Trichy is one of the fastest emerging cities in Tami Nadu that can be easily explored in a weekend. It offers multiple places for tourists to visit, like temples, churches. Each brings an amazing uniqueness along with it that will be etched in your heart for a long time.
Best Time To Visit Trichy: October to February
- Explore the gorgeous Puliyancholai Waterfalls
- Visit the ancient Kallanai Dam and enjoy the mesmerizing view
Suggested Read: 7 Best Yercaud Hotels For A Blissful Staycation In Tamil Nadu!
9. Nagapattinam – Renowned Pilgrimage Site
Nagapattinam is a renowned pilgrimage centre with several places of historical significance. The place has many temples, churches and mosques spread all over which attracts tourists from far across the globe and makes it one of the best places to visit in Tamilnadu.
Best Time To Visit Nagapattinam: October to February
- Spend some peaceful time at the long stretch of beach
- Enjoy Divya Desam, the Sapta Vidangar and the sacred town of Velankanni nearby
- Explore the beautiful architecture at the Dutch Fort
10. Vellore – The Fort City
Primarily known for two premier institutions, Christain Medical College and Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore is an ancient city located in the northeastern part of Tamil Nadu. The city has been aptly named the Fort City due to the enchanting fort located in the heart of the city. There are some great hotels in Vellore too where one can stay during the trip here.
Best Time To Visit Vellore: October to February
- Visit the marvelous fort and St. John’s church
- Spend some quality time at Periyar Park
11. Pollachi – Popular Tollywood Destination
One of the most offbeat places to visit in Tamilnadu, Pollachi is located down south in Coimbatore. It is a famous filming spot because of its blissful scenery. The place attracts tourists because of famous attractions like Topslip Tiger Reserve and Annamalai wildlife sanctuary.
Best Time To Visit Pollachi: December to February
- Jungle trekking and bamboo rafting at the Parambikulam Tiger Reserve
- Visit dams and adorn jaggery, coconut, and vegetable fields
12. Yanam – Unique Culture And History
Yanam is a small city in the district of Puducherry, India and is one of the best amongst all offbeat Tamilnadu tourist places. The place is famous for its interesting history and culture. One can enjoy the sunrise and sunset view from the viewpoint and visit a few holy temples spread around the city. The city also has some old churches with a touch of French architecture.
Best Time To Visit Yanam: June to September
- Explore the history and the unique culture
- Visit the Rajiv Gandhi Beach for amazing sunrise and sunset views
13. Tranquebar – A Tranquil Beach Town
Tranquebar is a tranquil destination known as the land of the singing waves. This tiny beach town dates back to the 14th century with the establishment of the Shiva Temple built in 1306. The place has definitely a lot of history to learn, amazing architecture to adore, and a lot of activities to enjoy in one of the best Tamilnadu tourist places.
Best Time To Visit Tranquebar: November to March
- Visit the Fort Dansborg
- One of India’s first printing presses at Ziegenbalg Museum Complex on Admiral Street
14. Chettinad – Every Food Lover’s Paradise
Sitting just a few kilometers from Madurai, Chettinad is a hidden region that is known for its ancient and old mansions, lip-smacking meat curries, and rich heritage. This region is the coolest place in Tamilnadu for those who are seeking for an amazing day-out experience. With plenty of places to witness and ample of dishes to relish, Chettinad is a foodie’s paradise.
Best Time To Visit Chettinad: October to March
- Unravel the tales of the beautiful Chettinad Palace.
- Indulge in the local cuisine, especially fiery meat dishes, and make your tongue crave for more.
- Experience the village life of Chettinad and witness the beauty of it.
15. Courtallam – Spa Town Of Tamil Nadu
Often tagged as the ‘Spa of South India’, Courtallam is that charming destination sitting in the Western Ghats that makes has the power to destress and rejuvenate travelers in an instant, making it the coolest place in Tamilnadu. Blanketing waterfalls, museums, temples, dams, eco parks, and much more, this town is one of those coolest places in Tamilnadu that offers an absolute experience to its guests. Courtallam is a must-visit town when going for Tamil Nadu sightseeing all thanks to the modern touch amalgamated with the tribal tales, making it one of the beautiful places.
Best Time To Visit Courtallam: June to September
- Take a dip in any of the famous waterfalls sitting in Courtallam including Main Falls, Five Falls, Tiger Falls, and more.
- Take a stroll in the beautiful temple and pay some respects in the Chitra Sabhai Temple.
- Shop for some beautiful handicrafts, sarees, artifacts, souvenirs, and more.
Historical And Religious Tourist Places In Tamil Nadu
Discover the best pilgrimage sites and religious temples in Tamil Nadu. Known as the temple city of India, there are various significant temples.
16. Madurai – Stunning Architecture
Constructed like a lotus, Madurai City is mostly popular for its Meenakshi Temple. Amongst all the other things to do in Madurai, this city is definitely one of the top tourist places in Tamil Nadu to visit on your next trip if you admire great architecture or are religious at heart.
Best Time to Visit Madurai: December to February
- Go temple hopping, and spend time at the famous Meenakshi and Thiruparankundram Temples
- Explore the Gandhi Museum
- Visit the Vaigai Dam
17. Chidambaram – Gorgeous Temple Town
A beautiful temple town, Chidambaram is situated in the eastern part of Tamil Nadu. The glorious history, rich culture, and diverse traditions of this city have the magic of leaving anyone in awe. A trip to this town is perfect if you’re a history buff, or have a thirst for knowledge.
Best Time to Visit Chidambaram: October to March
- Visit the Pichavaram Backwaters and Mangrove Forests
- Indulge in delectable Tamil cuisines like idli, vadai, and more
- Visit the famous Nataraja Temple
18. Mahabalipuram – Magnificent Carved Temples
Popular for its intricately carved temples and caves, Mahabalipuram in Tamil Nadu is another gem to marvel at. Located just a few kilometers from the capital city, traveling from Chennai to Mahabalipuram is not at all a hassle. The city has beautiful beaches, magnificent architecture, soothing weather, and offers a refreshing experience to every kind of tourist.
Best Time to Visit Mahabalipuram: November to February
- Rejuvenate on the Mahabalipuram Beach
- Visit the famous Five Rathas and Shore Temple
- Explore Kovalam and Sadras, the fishing villages turned into exotic beach resorts
19. Rameshwaram – Temple Hopping
Situated on an island, this is one of the holiest places in India. The town is separated by a Pamban bridge from Sri Lanka, and is a perfect place to explore if temple hopping is the sole purpose of your trip. There are some great hotels in Rameswaram, where one can stay during their trip here.
Best Time to Visit Rameswaram: October to April
- Visit the famous five-faced Hanuman Temple
- Witness the poojas at Agniteertham
- Visit the Dhanushkodi Temple and Beach
- Visit the beautiful Rameshwaram Temple and the Rameshawaram Beach.
20. Thanjavur – Centre Of Art
Of all the best tourist places in Tamil Nadu, Thanjavur has a lot to offer when it comes to experiences. This city of temples boast paintings, antiques, handicrafts, textiles, and sarees, which are amongst the popular things to be admired around.
Best Time to Visit Thanjavur: October to March
- Visit the popular Brihadeeshwara Temple
- Explore the Siva Ganga Garden, Palace & Saraswathi Mahal Library
- Admire the grandeur of the Vijayanagar Fort
Suggested Read: Kodaikanal vs Ooty For Honeymoon: What’s Your Pick?
21. Velankanni – Beautiful Coastal Town
While you may not have heard of Velankanni before like most of the other cities in the state, this place is absolutely worth your time and visit. It is a gorgeous coastal town popular for a spectacular church that was built in the honour of Mother Mary. The distance that one needs to cover from Pondicherry to Velankanni is around 160 kilometers and one can easily find road transport to cover this path.
Best Time to Visit Velankanni: October to March
- Visit the famous Basilica of Our Lady of Good Health
- Unwind and relax at the Velankanni Beach
- Explore the town and the museum at Holy Path
22. Kanchipuram – Pretty Kanchipuram Sarees
Kanchipuram is also known as the Golden City of a thousand temples. This popular tourist attraction is known for its beautiful ‘’Kanchipuram sarees’. Tourists who are interested in Hinduism or just want to catch a glimpse of the beautiful South Indian architecture, visit this place.
Best Time To Visit Kanchipuram: October to March
- Visit Kanchi Kamakshi Temple and Kailasanathar Temple
- Attend South Indian classical music concerts in the evenings
- Indulge in shopping of Kanchipuram sarees
23. Coimbatore – A Major Textile Hub
Coimbatore is one of the largest cities of Tamil Nadu, famous for its industry, textiles and manufacturing. For a perfect holiday experience, the place offers you gorgeous waterfalls, breathtaking mountains, and temples in Coimbatore are a must-visit by all the travelers.
Best Time To Visit Coimbatore: July to March
- Visit the the Maruthamalai Murugan Temple, Eachanari Vinayagar Temple, the Sree Ayyappan Temple
- Enjoy exciting trekking trails such as the Vellari Mala, the Dhoni Hills, the Perumal Peak, and the Thalaiyar Falls trek
- Visit the famous 112 feet tall statue of Lord Shiva, known as the Adiyogi Shiva Statue
24. Tirunelveli – Scenic Beauty
Located on the west bank of the Thamirabarani River, Tirunelveli offers many exciting tourist attractions like breathtaking waterfalls, scenic beauty, temples and much more. Along with many religious places, the city also has some wonderful delicacies you can try.
Best Time To Visit Tirunelveli: October to February
- Visit Nellaiappar Temple and Nellaiappar Temple
- Enjoy the scenic beauty at Nainar Kulam Lake
Suggested Read: 7 Places You Must Explore In The Wonderful Vellore
25. Kumbakonam – Historic Beauty
Kumbakonam is a beautiful temple town in the Thanjavur district. It is a must-visit place for history lovers to understand the depth of India’s culture and Hinduism. This is also one of the oldest towns in the Indian history known for its famous temples.
Best Time To Visit Kumbakonam: December to February
- Visit the grand festival called Mahamaham festival which is celebrated every twelve years at the Mahamaham Tank
- Shop in the town for indigenous products
- Visit the various famous temples such as Adi Kumbeshwara Temple
26. Tiruvannamalai – Town With Spiritual Significance
Home to one of the most famous and mighty Mount Arunchala, Tiruvannamalai has spiritual importance latched to itself. With the mountain being tagged as the most silent place in the entire world, Tiruvannamalai is a great escape for those who are seeking to run away from chaos and embrace tranquility. Home to various temples and ashrams, this destination attracts numerous pilgrims and spiritual seekers.
Best Time To Visit Tiruvannamalai: October to March | June to September
- Explore one of the largest temples of India- Arunachaleshwara Temple.
- Conquer the mighty Mount Arunachala along with other pilgrims.
- Try the healthy, scrumptious dishes served at the Dreaming Tree restaurant.
27. Dharmapuri – City Of Places Of Worship
Dharmapuri, a city often tagged as the land of churches and temples, is one of the greatest places to see in Tamil Nadu. Along with enveloping various places of worship, this town is also home to some of the marvelous wonders of mother nature such as waterfalls, rivers, and more. For those who are seeking to get closer to mother nature and the higher power above us, this place is definitely a steal!
Best Time To Visit Dharmapuri: November to March
- Take a ride on the boat in the pond near the Dharmapuri Falls.
- Try the oil massages that are offered in this town and get relieved of all the stress, even if it is just for a little while.
- Head to the various temples and churches covering the floors of Dharmapuri and offer homage.
Suggested Read: 10 Hotels In Coonoor Amid The Lush Valleys Of Tamil Nadu
Best Hill Stations In Tamil Nadu
Check our pick of the best hill stations along with an ideal time to visit.
28. Ooty – Queen Of Hill Stations
Situated in the Nilgiris district of Tamil Nadu, Ooty is one of the cool tourist places in Tamil Nadu. It has a gorgeous backdrop of the hills and greenery, which makes it a great destination for both honeymooners and family. Ooty sightseeing is everything one needs to rejuvenate and simply relax on their escape to Tamil Nadu. When traveling from Ooty to Kodaikanal, one needs to cover the distance of 250 kilometers that is best covered by a cab or taxi. Cover all the major places to visit in Ooty on your trip here.
Best Time to Visit Ooty: March to June
- Visit the popular Ooty Lake
- Take a scenic toy train ride
- Explore the Botanical Gardens
29. Kodaikanal – Breathtaking Natural Beauty
Adorned with dense forests, huge rocks, beautiful waterfalls, and plenty of other places to visit in Kodaikanal, this destination is a perfect romantic tourist place to visit with your loved one. We can bet that the picturesque beauty and romantic things to do in Kodaikanal would add stars to your holiday experience, making it only more memorable!
Best Time to Visit Kodaikanal: March to June and December to February
- Indulge in boating at Kodai Lake
- Enjoy horse riding while you savour the scenic views
- Visit the Pillar rocks and the Palni Hills
30. Coonoor – Thrilling Joyride
Situated at an altitude of 1,930 metres, Coonoor is gradually becoming one of the top cool tourist places in Tamil Nadu. It offers a panoramic view of the Nilgiri Hills and the Catherine Falls, which makes it an ideal hotspot for those whose heart belong in the hills! Moreover, when traveling from Coonoor to Ooty, one can take a train that runs on a regular basis and exhibits some beautiful landscapes of the surroundings.
Best Time to Visit Coonoor: October to March
- Savour the breathtaking views from Dolphin’s Nose
- Trek to the famous Doddabetta Mountain
- Visit the beautiful Sim’s Park
31. Yelagiri – Exciting Adventure Activities
Trekking in the hills has its own joy and fun. Situated at an elevation of 4,626 feet, Yelagiri Hills is a perfect Tamil Nadu tourist place surrounded by green valleys, orchards, and rose gardens. This is an ideal place to visit with a loved one, and even your friends if adventure is on your mind!
Best Time to Visit Yelagiri: May to June and November to February
- Trek to Swami Malai Hills through the lush green forests
- Visit the Jalagamparai Falls
- Indulge in paragliding, mountain climbing, etc.
32. Yercaud – Ooty Of Poor People
Situated close to the Eastern Ghats, Yercaud is a gorgeous hill station in Tamil Nadu. This place is a must visit for its vast evergreen forests, rich coffee plantations, and unique flora and fauna. From trekking to admiring the beauty of the famous attractions, there are many things to do in Yercaud that will keep you on your toes.
Best Time to Visit Yercaud: October to June
- Visit the popular Emerald Lake
- Take a tour of attractions like Anna Park, Japanese Park, Bear’s Cave, and more
- Enjoy the gorgeous view of the hills from the Lady’s Seat
33. Kotagiri – Captivating Waterfalls
Situated in the Nilgiris, this place is a small town known for having one of the best climates in the world. With captivating waterfalls and rich wildlife, Kotagiri is one of the summer tourist places in Tamil Nadu you must visit during your trip to the state.
Best Time to Visit Kotagiri: November to May
- Visit the mesmerizing Elk Falls
- Wildlife spotting at Longwood Shola
- Indulge in a picturesque trekking trail from Kotagiri to Kodanad
34. Valparai – Beautiful Hill Station
Valparai is a beautiful hill station, situated in the mesmerizing Anamalai Hill Range. Apart from being a part of Indira Gandhi Wildlife Sanctuary, the town also has a decent number of tea and coffee estates surrounded by forests. It’s the place to be if you believe in staying close to nature, and closer to yourself! One can take a flight to travel from Chennai to Valparai and cover the distance of approximately 587 kilometers in a feasible manner.
Best Time to Visit Valparai: September to March
- Go on a backpacking tour to the famous Anamalai Hills
- Visit Nallamudi Viewpoint
- Explore the Sholayar Dam, Monkey Falls, Balaji Temple, and more
35. Theni – The Magical Land
No matter what time of the year it is, Theni is that town in Tamil Nadu that one would always find nestled amidst the foggy mist, making it look like a fairyland. Theni is the best tourist place in Tamil Nadu for those who are seeking to avoid the beaten paths and take the roads less taken. Sitting on the Western Ghats, Theni covers some fragrant plantations, velvety green landscapes, colorful markets, magical waterfalls, and much more.
Best Time To Visit Theni: Throughout the year
- Visit the Kolukkumalai Tea estate, world’s highest organic estate.
- Shop for various exotic spices and condiments, handloom products, agricultural products, and much more.
- Plan a picnic to the Vaigai Dam and spend some quality time with your family.
36. Vedanthangal – Paradise For Bird Lovers
You must have heard about Vedanthangal for its bird sanctuary which makes it one of the top places to visit in Tamil Nadu. If you visit the sanctuary during the migratory season, then you can witness around 30,000 birds like spoonbills, herons, and storks. So, if you are a bird lover then make sure that you include this place in your itinerary.
Best time to visit: November to February
- Visit the bird sanctuary.
- Admire the view of Vedanthangal covered with thousands of birds.
37. Tharangambadi – The Land Of The Singing Waves
Counted among the top tourist places in Tamil Nadu, Tharangambadi is a tiny beach town. The history of this place can be dated back to the 14th century. The name of this town literally translates into ‘the land of the singing waves’. The town overlooks the confluence of the Bay of Bengal and Kaveri River. The place is known for its tranquility which is why it is visited by hundreds of tourists every year.
Best time to visit: November to March
- Explore Dansborg Fort where you can witness a mixture of German, Danish, and French colonies.
- Visit the Zion Church that stands still since the year 1701.
38. Salem – Explore The Bucolic Nature
A visit to Tamil Nadu will remain incomplete if you do not visit its fifth largest city, Salem. That may not be a great fact but it being a home to natural vistas is a great fact. Not only this, there are several ancient temples in Salem that are a must visit. So, make sure to include it in your Tamil Nadu vacation itinerary.
Best time to visit: October to February
- Explore the churches and temples here.
- Get ready to soak in some amazing nature views.
39. Kolli Hills – Ride Through The Bent Curves
Popular as the ‘Mountain of Death’, Kolli Hills is located in the Namakkal District which is untouched by industrialization and retains most of the natural beauty. If you are looking for coolest places in Tamil Nadu then you must include Kolli Hills in your itinerary as several tourists head to this place and watch nature at its best.
Best time to visit: December to February
- Admire the natural magnificence.
- Visit the famous Lord Shiva’s Arappaleshwar Temple.
40. Palani – Wrapped Within Two Hills
Another amazing place to explore in Tamil Nadu is Palani which is blanketed with two hills – Sakthigiri and Sivagiri. So, where you look, you will get to see these majestic hills creating a beautiful scenery. While exploring Palani, you will come across several lakes that eventually flow to the Shanmuga River at the foothills.
Best time to visit: November to March
- Explore the lakes making their way through the whole Palani.
- Visit the temples that are famous here.
41. Dindigul – A Historical City
If you are planning a vacation to Tamil Nadu then your trip will remain incomplete without Dindigul as it is one of the famous places in Tamil Nadu. It is a historical city that is wedged between Sirumalai Hills and Palani Hills. One of the must-visit place here is Dindigul Fort which has attracted several tourists to this place.
Best time to visit: October to March
- Explore the popular Dindigul Fort on your visit.
- Dig deep into the culture and history of this place.
42. Mayiladuthurai – The Peacock Town
Another one listed in the places to visit in Tamil Nadu is Mayiladuthurai which is a temple town famous for Mayura Natha Swamy Temple that is dedicated to Lord Shiva. The place was ruled by the Chola dynasty and it still holds reminiscents of that. While traveling on the roads here, you will witness coconut trees lining along the roadsides.
Best time to visit: October to March
- Admire the Dravidian architecture on your visit.
- Explore the famous Shiva temple.
43. Thiruvarur – A Blend Of Cultures
The list of tourist places in Tamil Nadu also includes Thiruvarur which is popular for its antiquity as it was ruled by several groups like VIjayanagar Empire, Marathas, Medieval as well as Later Cholas, and the British. Apart from this, it is home to three rivers namely Sukumar, Valaiyar, and Odambokki rivers which add to the beauty of this place.
Best time to visit: December to March
- Visit the famous Thyagaraja Temple.
- Dig into the rich history of Thiruvarur.
44. Pulicat – For Bird Watchers
One of the best places to visit in Tamil Nadu is Pulicat which which is home to the Pulicat Lake. This is that famous place where thousands of birds migrate here between the months October & March. You can witness several species including Flamingos.
Best time to visit: October to March
- Visit the famous Fort Geldaria.
- Bird watchers must explore this place.
45. Auroville – Town Of Peace
The City of Dawn, Auroville has now become a city of tourist interest due to its beauty and the idea to live in peace and harmony. The main motive of this township is to gather people of all races or naitionalities and live within a community free from any bond. It is now one of the best places to see in Tamil Nadu.
Best time to visit: November to March
- Explore Matrimandir.
- Witness the peace here.
While these best tourist places in Tamil Nadu are famous for their own attractions, each one of them is worth your time, money, and visit for experiencing the best of the south! Plan your trip to Tamil Nadu right away and have an awesome vacay.
Frequently Asked Questions About Best Tourist Places In Tamil Nadu
A. Tamil Nadu is home to numerous popular attractions such as temples, forts, and ancient remains. Apart from the attractions, the place exhibits the true and rich culture of India. You can taste the actual south Indian cuisine here.
A. There are numerous cool places in Tamil Nadu but the following are the most popular amongst them:
7. Kolli Hills
8. Anamalai Hills
10. Velliangiri Hilla
A. Tamil Nadu is home to numerous beautiful places that offer something unique to its visitors. The most popular beautiful places in Tamil Nadu are:
A. Tamil Nadu is famous for its illuminating temples, rice culture, glorious history, and artists and actors. The most famous temples in Tamil Nadu are located in Tanjore, Madurai, and Kanchi. The place also exhibits the remains of three dynasties of the past, that is Cholas, Pallavas, and Pandyas.
A. If you are planning a visit to Tamil Nadu then you must know that Chennai, the capital city is a hub of shopping. The following are the most popular Chennai shopping items-
1. Pure mulberry silk
2. Classical dance accessories
3. Cool cotton fabrics
4. Pandian bangles and accessories
6. Ladies’ ornaments
A. The most popular places for shopping in Tamil Nadu are
1. Phoenix Mall
2. xpress Avenue
3. Ampa Skywalk
4. Nalli Silks
8. Cotton Street
10. Pondy Bazaar
11. Moore Market.
A. In Tamil Nadu, Tiruchirapalli is considered to be the cleanest district and therefore is one of the most admired places in this state of India by locals as well as tourists.
A. There’s not just one but a number of cities that are considered the best in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. These are the ones that are renowned as the best here:
A. There are a number of hill stations in Tamil Nadu that are:
3. Kolli Hills
7. Velliangiri Hills
A. There are a number of places in Tamil Nadu that are ideal for a honeymoon vacay. Some of them are:
A. Tamil Nadu is essentially a safe Indian state but Coimbatore here is considered to be the safest city here. The city is safe for the solo female travelers as well. However, one needs to be cautious enough when traveling solo.
A. The capital city Chennai is known for its vibrant eclectic culture, which is worth witnessing. The city is famous by the name ‘Gateway to the South India’ and considered significantly different from the other cities in India.
Q. Is Tamil Nadu beautiful?
A. Tamil Nadu is one of the most beautiful places to visit in South India. Home to waterfalls, lush greens, trekking trails, beautifully carved temples, picturesque landscapes, and much more, this state of India is one of its kind.
Q. Which place in Tamil Nadu is famous for the mangrove forest?
A. The floors of Tamil Nadu are covered with the mangrove forest in many regions. But the most famous place in Tamil Nadu is Pichavaram.
Looking To Book A Holiday Package?
People Also Read: