To call Washington DC the beating heart of United States of America wouldn’t be an exaggeration as the capital city epitomizes the spirit, culture and heritage of the country within its small confines. Planning your honeymoon in Washington DC gives you a chance to explore some of the best museums & most iconic monuments in the country, along with a sumptuous dose of the rich & eclectic culture. From the best theatre and music performances to the most delicious food and the finest locally distilled liquor, the capital city sitting pretty on the Potomac River offers a heady dose of travel experiences.
With its perfect setting, lush gardens, pretty waterfronts and iconic architecture Washington DC is a wonderful city for romantic strolls and dazzling experiences. Let us help you plan the best honeymoon in Washington DC with our handy tips, hotel suggestions and recommendations for the top spots for a romantic date with your life partner.
Best Time To Plan Your Honeymoon In Washington DC
- The fall season (September-November) is considered the best time to visit Washington DC, with the summer heat replaced by pleasant breezes and the gorgeous fall colours adding a dash of magic to the landmark sights. Lesser crowds make it an ideal time for couples looking to steal private moments.
- The spring season (March-May) comes a close second with its lovely weather to explore the outdoors and the spectacular cherry blossoms adding to the city’s allure.
- Even if you have to plan your honeymoon in Washington DC during the hot summer season, there are plenty of world-class museums to keep you happily engaged. Bargain-hunters will love the winter season but must be prepared to pack appropriate clothes to enjoy the city’s attractions.
A week-long honeymoon in Washington DC allows you to explore its attractions at leisure, while also leaving enough time to unwind at your lovely hotel and take leisurely strolls along the Tidal Basin and beautiful city parks. We recommend spending at least 5 days in case you’re running short of time, to do justice to your visit.
Honeymoon In Washington DC: Best Places To Explore
Washington DC is sure to enthral you both with its wonderful attractions, beautifully landscaped gardens and awe-inspiring museums. Here are top picks for unravelling the city’s romantic side and making your honeymoon in Washington DC a montage of memorable moments.
1. The National Gallery Of Art: Explore
Passionate art lovers simply cannot afford to miss visiting this treasure trove of timeless art collection by masters like Leonardo Da Vinci, Rodin, Monet, Picasso and many more. Amble along the romantic setting of its Sculpture Garden and get that perfect honeymoon in Washington DC click with the famed AMOR sculpture, an ode to love by Robert Indiana.
Timings: 10AM-5PM (Mon-Sat); 11AM-6PM (Sun). Admission is free.
2. Potomac River: Board On A Romantic Cruise
Nothing could be more romantic than a dinner cruise with your partner, witnessing the glittering city landmarks along the lovely Potomac River. Entertainment Cruises offers a 5-star experience with a three-course meal and live band entertainment aboard their stylish & elegant Odyssey dinner boat.
Cruise cost: Starts from $114/person.
3. The Shakespeare Theatre Company: Catch A Spectacular Performance
Shakespeare was the all-time romantic bard and watching one of his plays performed by the world-renowned Shakespeare Theatre Company is the ultimate couple experience during your honeymoon in Washington DC. Check out Website for booking your favourite one in advance.
4. Michelin-Star Restaurant: Dazzle Her With A Dinner
Housed inside the classic & elegant Jefferson Hotel is one of the best restaurants for a date with your sweetheart. Michelin-starred Plume offers one of the most charming settings and exquisite food to sweep her off her feet with your gesture. Enjoy the culinary delights and whisper sweet nothings in this perfectly romantic restaurant.
Location: 1200 16th St NW, Washington, DC 20036, USA
Timings: 5:30-9PM (Tues-Fri)
5. The Beautiful National Mall: Soak In The Tranquillity & Stroll Along
No visit to the city can be complete without a quiet stroll along the elegantly landscaped green belt between Capitol Hill and Lincoln Memorial. Lined with some of the most iconic memorials and landmarks, National Mall is also the perfect place to spend some quality time with your loved one while you honeymoon in Washington DC.
Planning your honeymoon but confused about where to go? These honeymoon stories help you find your best honeymoon trip ever!
Real honeymooners. Real stays. Real opinions to help you make the right choice.
6. The Phillips Collection: Get Immersed In The Fantastic Art
Art aficionados will love the intimate setting and treasured modern art works at this remarkable collection. Housing impressive masterpieces by Van Gogh, Renoir, Rothko, O’ Keefe and other, the place allows ample time for gazing dreamily at the superb collection.
Timings: 10AM-5PM (Tues-Sat); 11AM-6PM (Sun). Thursday hours extend up to 8:30PM.
7. Magnificent Washington National Cathedral: Say A Silent Praye
The stunning exteriors and equally breathtaking interiors of this magnificent neo-Gothic cathedral are sure to leave you both awestruck, while the serenity allows you to say a silent prayer for your love. Gaze in wonder at the exquisite stained-glass windows and unique altars or take an interesting tour to explore the hidden gems.
Timings & Entry fee: Visit Website
8. Lincoln Memorial & Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial: Get Mesmerized
Two of the most popular memorials in the National Mall take on an ethereal charm under the magical lambent light of the moon. While you can spend a few quiet moments together on the steps of the breathtaking Lincoln Memorial, strolling close to the Martin Luther King memorial under the moonlight is an equally rewarding experience.
9. United States Botanic Garden: Amble Through
For stealing a few rejuvenating hours in the lap of nature during your honeymoon in Washington DC, do visit this serene oasis brimming with extraordinary species of fauna from around the world. Amble along the lovely gardens holding hands and admiring the exotic plant varieties at display. You can also indulge in a uniquely romantic full moon hike or forest bathing experience at the National Arboretum (Website ).
Timings: Daily, 10AM-5:30PM
10. United States Capitol
For that unforgettable in-the-heart-of-the-city romantic experience with your bae, explore the dazzling CityCenterDC with its glittering array of designer brand stores and boutiques. Let hr splurge and enjoy a romantic meal at the many courtyard facing restaurants. Follow it up with a stroll under the magical stringed lights of Palmer Alley.
Location: 825 10th St NW, Washington, DC 20001, USA
Timings: Daily, 8AM-11PM
Best Honeymoon Hotels In Washington DC
Choose from the many luxurious and romantic honeymoon hotels in Washington DC to ensure you have a memorable stay with your life partner.
1. The Jefferson
This elite 5-star property offers one of the best honeymoon suites in Washington DC, with a separate parlour and dining area for your romantic dinner together. Their exceptional spa with ‘Biotherapies’, cosy library with a fireplace and the Michelin-star Plume restaurant make it the ideal couple getaway.
Tariff/night: Deluxe Suite from INR 49,436
2. Fairmont Washington DC
Spacious, well-appointed rooms and friendly service make for a pleasant stay at this lovely hotel in a quiet neighbourhood. Go for Fairmont Gold for that extra luxurious touch with an excellent lounge to unwind and relax.
Tariff/night: Deluxe room from INR 28,716
3. Mandarin Oriental
Tucked in a quiet area overlooking the lovely Tidal Basin, this luxurious hotel with gorgeous interiors offers the perfect setting for your romantic escapade. The service and food are impeccable, while their spa is world-class.
Tariff/night: Deluxe King room from INR 27,200
4. The Dupont Circle Hotel
Located very close to the iconic monuments at National, this fantastic property offers lovely views, warm hospitality and a luxurious stay in the heart of the city. Their chic bar is a great place to unwind and spend some romantic moments together.
Tariff/night: Classic King room from INR 29,200
5. Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
This luxury boutique hotel is the perfect blend of contemporary style and classic elegance, with outstanding service to match. The location is close to most museums and some fantastic restaurants.
Tariff/night: Deluxe king room from INR 21,350
Packing Essentials For Your Honeymoon In Washington DC
- Whatever time of the year you plan your honeymoon in Washington DC, bringing a wind-sweater and scarf always come in hand to stay protected from the chilly winds in the evening.
- Sunglasses, hats and sunscreen are recommended if you plan to spend time in parks and other outdoor locations in Washington DC during a summer or fall visit.
- A wine key, travel speakers and picnic blanket come in handy when you plan to cosy up at the National Mall or numerous pretty gardens in the city.
- Women must carry a pretty dress or two to blend in the stylish crow and get some classy shots for your honeymoon in Washington DC. Men must carry a polo shirt and some suitable wear for a romantic fine dining date.
- Comfortable footwear/sneakers, a folding umbrella, toiletries (including a dry shampoo) as well as essential medicines.
Our list of romantic experiences for your honeymoon in Washington DC barely scratches the surface of the delights this city has in store for couples. From exploring the spectacular interiors of Capitol Hill to discovering the treasures at the Smithsonian museums, there is a lot seeking your attention in this marvellous city. So, plan a trip to USA and have the quality time of your life!
Disclaimer: TravelTriangle claims no credit for images featured on our blog site unless otherwise noted. All visual content is copyrighted to its respectful owners. We try to link back to original sources whenever possible. If you own the rights to any of the images, and do not wish them to appear on TravelTriangle, please contact us and they will be promptly removed. We believe in providing proper attribution to the original author, artist or photographer.
Please Note: Any information published by TravelTriangle in any form of content is not intended to be a substitute for any kind of medical advice, and one must not take any action before consulting a professional medical expert of their own choice.
Frequently Asked Questions About Honeymoon In Washington DC
What is the best time to visit Washington DC for a honeymoon?
If vibrant fall colors, cool breezes and pleasant weather can make your honeymoon memorable for you then you must plan your honeymoon in Washington DC in the autumn season. September and October are the fall months and there is surely romance spread throughout the city in these months.
Which can I do in Washington DC on a honeymoon?
There are a plethora of things that you can do on your honeymoon in Washington DC and all of them are listed below:
– Visit the Lincoln Memorial at night and climb up the stairs with your beloved.
– Stroll around Georgetown while holding hands and explore the historical places.
– Spot cherry blossom trees in the U.S. National Arboretum.
– Click pictures under the CityCenterDC’s Palmer Alley lights and shop around.
– Go for a quick biking session in the Rock Creek Park.
– Dance the night away at POV Rooftop Lounge and Terrace
Is Washington DC safe for couples?
Washington DC is a prime destination for honeymoon couples and it is completely safe in the day as well as night.
Which are the most romantic restaurants in Washington DC?
A candlelight dinner and delectable food, here is the list of the most romantic restaurants in Washington DC that will pamper you with both!
– Wild Sage Bistro
– The Pink Door
Which is the cheapest hotel for a honeymoon in Washington DC?
The price of the hotels depends on whether you are traveling the peak season or offseason. There are a lot of reasonably priced hotels in Washington DC but one of the most famous and cheapest hotels is The Normandy Hotel.
Which are the most luxurious hotels in Washington DC?
Some of the most luxurious hotels in Washington DC are listed below and you must stay at these hotels as they provide top-notch services. Take a look at this list!
– The St. Gregory Hotel Dupont Circle
– Four Seasons Hotel
– The Hay-Adams
– The Jefferson
Looking To Book Your Honeymoon Package?
Book memorable honeymoon on TravelTriangle with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.
People Also Read