A magnum of places, people, culture, traditions, colors and religion, India is a country that will surprise you with its never-ending allures. Witnessing the trails of the architectural pasts to experiencing the serenity of valleys, drenching in the salty sea waters or soaking in the religious rituals, India can delight you in more ways than you imagine! So get ready to witness surprises at every turn by exploring these places to visit in India with family. Read on, to know what the list holds for you!
Top 13 Best Places To Visit In India With Family
Dotted with innumerable charms, a journey across these 13 best places to visit with family in India will bond you with your loved ones like never before. All these places have something or the other to do for every kind of family. What are you waiting for? Start planning now!
- Kerala: God’s Own Country
- Andaman And Nicobar: Exotic Islands
- Himachal Pradesh: Serenely Adventurous
- Kashmir: A Heaven On Earth
- Rajasthan: The Royal Land
- Haridwar And Rishikesh: Spiritual Lands
- Nainital And Jim Corbett National Park: Nature And Wildlife
- Coorg, Ooty, Kodaikanal: Kashmir Of South India
- North East: The Unexplored
- Delhi, Agra, Jaipur: The Golden Triangle
- Banaras: The Holy City
- Mumbai: The City That Never Sleeps
- Puri: Architectural Rich
1. Kerala – God’s Own Country
Kerala, the land of coconut trees and backwaters, is one of the top places to visit in India with family. This narrow strip of land along the Arabian sea boasts of its natural vegetation, rich flora and fauna, beaches and backwaters and romantic views. Visiting Kerala would prove to be completely relaxing and rejuvenating trip for your parents and children alike.
- The beautiful hill station – Munnar
- Backwaters of Alleppey
- Kovalam Beaches
- Thekkady and Wayanad for natural experiences
Tip: Go only to those ayurveda centers that are approved by the Ministry of Tourism
Best time to visit: September to April
Hotels to stay: Emerald Resort, Diga Vista Resort
Things to do: Stay in a houseboat, watch snake boat race
2. Andaman And Nicobar – Exotic Islands
The once known ‘Kaalapani’ is now a popular tourist destination and one of the best places to visit with family in India. The tropical environment, white sandy beaches and coral reefs, lush green rainforests and active volcano make a trip to Andaman an adventurous and mesmerizing one.
- Havelock Islands for Scuba Diving
- Cellular Jail for the light and sound show
- Andaman water sports complex for sea water swimming and more water sport activities
Tip: Avoid locations with high tribal density. Nicobar Islands are out for bound of tourism activities because a majority of tribes reside there.
Best time to visit: Mid November to April
Hotels to stay: Hotel Value Luxury Stay Andaman, Shagrilas Beach Resort
Things to do: Scuba diving, Snorkeling
3. Himachal Pradesh – Serenely Adventurous
Traveling with family and planning to miss the state, you could lose out on a lot! Right from river rafting to trekking expeditions to scenic landscapes, Himachal is an apt choice for a traveler with kids. Soak yourself in the mild sunlight and breathe the fresh Himalayan breeze while your kids go paragliding, mountaineering, jeep safari and more.
- Manali and Rohtang Pass for snow clad mountains
- Shimla for the scenic beauty
- McLeodganj for trekking trails
- Kufri for Yak rides
- Solang Valley for adventure sports
Tip: Avoid trekking trips with children below 10 years and elderly. Temperature at Rohtang Pass is usually very low, hence heavy woollen clothing is advised.
Best time to visit: In Spring, April – June and In winters, November to February
Hotels to stay: Shimla Nature Ville, Hotel Amar Villa
Things to do: Paragliding, trekking, hiking
Suggested Read: 10 Travel Tips You Need To Know Before Visiting Himachal Pradesh
4. Kashmir – A Heaven On Earth
Kashmir is one of the best places to visit in India with family. The abundance of breathtaking scenic beauty makes this paradise loved by travelers of all ages. This mini Switzerland of India attracts tourists from all over the world, across various age groups and is always on the list of every Indian. You definitely need to visit this paradise on earth and meditate in the flower valley hearing the laughter of your loved ones.
- Srinagar for houseboats and shikara rides
- Gulmarg for Skiing
- Pahalgam for Baisaran Valley
Tip: You can opt for skiing classes at the Skii Institute
Best time to visit: In spring, April – June & In winters, December – March for Skiing.
Hotels to stay: Taj Palace Houseboat, Hotel Alpine K2 Pahalgam, Hotel Mount View
Things to do: Shikara riding, Gondola ride, skiing, river rafting
5. Rajasthan – The Royal Land
The royal Rajasthan and its luxury is worth experiencing with your family. Royal Rajasthan on Wheels offers a chance to explore the vast deserts, majestic palaces, glimpses into the wildlife and the beautiful havelis of Jodhpur, Udaipur, Chittorgarh, Ranthambore & Jaipur.
- Udaipur for its royalty
- Jodhpur for Mehrangarh Fort
- Chittorgarh for the treasure trove of Rajputana history
- Jaipur for exquisite handicrafts
Tip: The train makes a trip to Khajuraho Temples, Madhya Pradesh. Select your locations as per your choice.
Best time to visit: October – March
Hotels to stay: The Atara, Hotel Pol Haveli
Things to do: Visit lakes and temples, experience wildlife
6. Haridwar And Rishikesh – Spiritual Lands
Planning a religious-fun family tour this year? Haridwar and Rishikesh is the place for your family! Visit one of the holiest cities of India and bathe in the Ganges, wash your sins away. Walk on the swaying Laxman Jhula with your kids and travel to Rishikesh for some adventure.
- Mansa Devi temple in Haridwar
- Laxman Jhula – the swaying bridge
- Rishikesh for adventure sports
- Har-ki-pauri Ghat for the evening Maha Aarti
Tip: There’s no alcohol or non-vegetarian food available in the holy city. If you can’t deal with a strict vegetarian diet, you might not enjoy the place.
Best time to visit: February – June, August – October
Hotels to stay: Hotel Mayur, Hotel Queen, Hotel Trishul
Things to do: Visit Rajaji National Park and Har ki Pauri Ghat
7. Nainital And Jim Corbett National Park – Nature And Wildlife
Nestled amidst seven lush valleys of Uttarakhand, Naini lake is believed to be found by Tri-Rishi (lake of three sages) and was explored by the Britishers as a holiday getaway spot. Located about three hours away from Nainital, Jim Corbett is a popular wildlife resort. Over 70,000 tourists visit the national park all-round the year.
- Naini lake for a peaceful boat ride
- Govind Ballabh Pant Zoo for Siberian tiger, wolves, hill fox and more
- Tiffin top for a panoramic view of Himalayas
- Stop by and have fresh bhuttas on the way
- Jim Corbett for an adventurous wildlife tour
Tip: Thrill yourself with a stay in the jungle at the wildlife resort within the park’s premises and you might even get to see a tiger!
Best time to visit:
Nainital: March – June and September to November
Jim Corbett National Park: November – June
Hotels to stay: Hotel Mount and Mist Nainital, Hotel Paradise Homestay
Things to do: Visit Nainital Lake, Snow view point
8. Coorg, Ooty, Kodaikanal – Kashmir Of South India
Planning a trip down south and looking for a serene scenic getaway. Coorg, Ooty, and Kodaikanal serve as a perfect destination for a relaxing holiday. The lush green hills, dense forests, beautiful rivers and lakes, winding roads on the mountains, amazing weather and many other features make these places paradise destinations.
Hotels to stay: Radisson Blue Kochi, ITC Windsor Bengaluru
Things to do: Visit National Parks
Located in the Western ghats, Coorg is locally known as the Kashmir of Karnataka. With over three wildlife sanctuaries and one national park, gorgeous sunset points, waterfalls and plenty of coffee plantations, Coorg makes an ideal getaway with family.
- Raja’s seat for a gorgeous sunset view
- Coorg’s most popular waterfalls – Abbey Falls
- Bylakuppe near Kushalanagar is one of the largest Tibetan settlements in south India
Tip: In winters, the temperature can drop below 8 degrees. Hence, woollen clothing is advisable.
Best time to visit: October to June
One of the most popular hill stations of south, Ooty has been referred to as the queen of hill stations, since ages because of its breath taking kaleidoscopic visual treats and soul stirring experiences. Lush green well maintained lawns, rare flora species, tranquil atmosphere are some highlights of this picturesque destination
- Botanical Garden for a 20 million-year-old fossilized tree
- Lake Garden by for the fiberglass dome
- High altitude deer parks of India
Tip: In winters the temperature might drop down to 5 degrees or less and hence, woollens are recommended.
Suggested Read: 44 Famous Historical Places In India To Visit In 2021
The mighty rocks, bowers, creeks, long stretches of forests and the meadows define the charm of Kodaikanal. This princess of hill stations has started gaining popularity recently and offers a perfect getaway resort from the city bustles.
- Climb to the jutting rocks of Kodai and the Pillar rocks for a delighting view
- Coaker’s walk for thrilling views
- Telescope House for the panoramic view of the valley
Tip: Children are advised to walk carefully on steep trails.
Best time to visit Kashmir of South India: In Spring, April to June; In Winters, September – November
Suggested Read: 40 Most Amazing Places To Visit In India With Friends In 2021
9. North East – The Unexplored
Experience living in the foothills of Himalayas and wake up to the highest of peaks & deepest of valleys. Away from the hustle bustle of the city, reside in the tranquil hills. A trip to north east definitely invites you to the tea estates of Darjeeling. Taste the authentic momos and Darjeeling Tea!
- Tsomgo Lake for Red Panda, migratory ducks and other species of fauna
- Yumthang valley for breath-taking scenic grandeur
- Rumtek Monastery for unique religious art objects
- Darjeeling for the toy train ride and authentic tea flavours
Tip: Heavy woollen clothing is advised for children and elderly in higher altitude areas.
Hotels to stay: Magpie Pachhu Village Resort, Pine Hill Homestay
Things to do: Visit Kaziranga National Park, Rumtek Dharma Chakra Centre
Suggested Read: 31 Reasons Why You Should Never Visit North East India
10. Delhi, Agra, Jaipur – The Golden Triangle
If you don’t know where you should begin your India tour the Golden Triangle of India is the best option for places to visit in India with family. The Golden Triangle is a tourist circuit connecting the cities of Delhi, Agra, and Jaipur. The name is also suggestive of the shape formed by their locations on the map. All these major cities of India have iconic historical sites to visit, including India Gate, Red Fort and Qutab Minar in Delhi; Taj Mahal in Agra; and Hawa Mahal in Jaipur.
Hotels to stay: Taj Palace, Ajanta Hotel, The Grand Uddhav by Staybook
Things to do: Visit temples, India Gate, Forts
Suggested Read: 10 Awesome Places To Celebrate Holi In India In 2021
From the ancient Mughals to Afghans, experience the phenomenal monuments to unique restaurants, bustling bazaars of Old Delhi to fascinating malls of New Delhi, street shopping at Janpath or Sarojini to the street food at Chandni Chowk, Delhi has something for every traveller.
- India Gate as a tribute to the country
- Connaught Place for amazing food
- Old Delhi for Chandni Chowk & Asia’s biggest mosque- Jama Masjid
- Janpath or Sarojini Market for bulk shopping!
Tip: For a comfortable sightseeing tour, book a Delhi Darshan trip via HohoDelhi.
Suggested Read: 12 One Day Road Trips From Delhi
Further ahead lies the journey to the traditionally colourful city of Jaipur, inviting you to the majestic architectures and hand crafted souvenirs. The city boasts of its royal Rajput influence, lifestyle intricacies, and rich art & cultural history.
- Hawa Mahal for its architecture
- Nahargarh fort for an enticing city view
- Johri Bazaar for impressive gemstone work and jewellery
- Chokhi Dhani for the ultimate Rajasthani experience.
Tip: A trip to Chowki Dhani is a must if you’re short on time and want to have to real Rajasthani experience.
Finally, stop by at the city of love – Agra and immerse in the beautiful Taj Mahal. Situated by the banks of Yamuna, this symmetrical monument took about 22 years to complete and is celebrated as an epitome of love all across the world.
- Fatehpur Sikri for the amazing glassware
- Agra fort for the marvelous architecture
- Agra markets for Inlay work on marvel and traditional carpets.
Tip: Taj Mahal is closed on Friday. Plan your trip accordingly.
Best time to visit the Golden Triangle: October to March
Planning your holiday but confused about where to go? These travel stories help you find your best trip ever!
11. Banaras – The Holy City
Varanasi or Banaras is the oldest city in the world. Located by the ghats of the holy river Ganga, the city is a must visit for a splendid religious experience. Symbolizing spiritualism, philosophy & mysticism for thousands of years, Varanasi hypnotizes the tourists with its magical chants and echoing aartis.
- Jnana Vapi or the Well of wisdom believed to have been dug by Lord Shiva himself
- Boat ride along the Ganges river for the real Banaras experience
- Kashi Vishwanath temple for its gold plated towers
- Ramnagar Fort for its museum displaying vintage cars, royal palkis and more
- Banaras Emporium to buy your wife or your mom the Banarasi Silk Sari
Tip: This city of temples, gallies and ghats will lure you to explore more. Plan your destinations according to the time you’ll have.
Best time to visit: October – March
Hotels to stay: Alka Hotel, Stay Banaras
Things to do: Visit historical Fort, Experience Arti at the ghat
12. Mumbai – The City That Never Sleeps
Home to most of the Bollywood celebrities, Mumbai, the city of dreams, literally never sleeps. Be it the mandis preparing for early morning customers or marine drive for a walk by the see any time, places near Mumbai attracts tourists like crazy.
- Siddhi Vinayak Mandir to witness the religious madness of the city toward Lord Ganesha
- Gateway of India for the view of the majestic Taj, by the sea and ferry rides
- Bandra for a great street shopping experience and stop by at Band Stand, in front for Shah Rukh Khan’s residence Mannat for a peaceful seaside time.
- Juhu for its choupati consisting of tapris serving lip-smacking chaats, pani puri or pav bhaji.
- You may also wish to travel to Lonavala, Shirdi, and Nashik. Plan your travel wisely.
Tip: If you’re traveling to Mumbai in summers, you may not enjoy much, due to high humidity levels.
Best time to visit: September to March
Hotels to stay: Ginger Mumbai, Atlas Grand Hotel Mumbai
Things to do: Visit the gateway of India, Elephant caves
Suggested Read: 20 Picturesque Places To Visit In February In India In 2021!
13. Puri – Architectural Rich
This beautiful city mostly remains untouched throughout the year until the Jagannath Yatra begins. The city welcomes you with a cool breeze even on the most summery days and the majestic temple adds an aura of peace to your leisure travel.
- Walk by the beach and enjoy the calmness amidst the noisy atmosphere
- Explore the local shops selling alluring age old arts and artefacts
- Chilka Lake for the biggest salt water lagoon and migratory birds
- Sun Temple at Konark for its magnificent architecture
Tip: If you wish to attend the ‘Rath Yatra festival’ plan your trip for the months of June-July
Best time to visit: August to March
Hotels to stay: Mayfair Heritage, Puri, Mayfair Waves Puri
Things to do: Visit the temple
There are several exotic places to visit in India with your family, did you find the right place? If yes, plan a trip to Puri right away, pack your bags and set out on a trip with your loved ones. Explore the locations and make some of the most priceless memories to treasure for a lifetime. Happy holidays!
Disclaimer: TravelTriangle claims no credit for images featured on our blog site unless otherwise noted. All visual content is copyrighted to its respectful owners. We try to link back to original sources whenever possible. If you own the rights to any of the images and do not wish them to appear on TravelTriangle, please contact us and they will be promptly removed. We believe in providing proper attribution to the original author, artist or photographer.
Please Note: Any information published by TravelTriangle in any form of content is not intended to be a substitute for any kind of medical advice, and one must not take any action before consulting a professional medical expert of their own choice.
Frequently Asked Questions About Places To Visit In India With Family
Which is the best place to visit in India with family?
You are in luck because there is not one but many places to visit in India with family. Whether you want a beach excursion or getaway to hills, you will be pampered with choices. Andaman and Pondicherry in South are perfect for long, luxurious beach vacations. Kashmir is always a great choice for families. Himachal and Uttarakhand are the other two popular destinations where families like to take a trip. Expect to have a good time in Rajasthan with your family.
Where can I go with kids in India?
You could go to Rajasthan, especially a wildlife safari in Ranthambore National Park where you kids can meet elephants and tigers. You could book a resort in the hills of Himachal Pradesh or Uttarakhand to enjoy a luxurious getaway. Take them to Agra to see the Taj Mahal or for a Mumbai Darsha.
Is it safe to travel to India with a baby?
Yes, it is absolutely safe to travel in India with a baby. Nowadays most hotels provide facilities for kids like play area and other things to make the stay of a family comfortable. Most public places like malls have nursing stations for mothers.
Which are some family vacation destinations on a budget in India?
Manali, Nainital, Dehradun-Mussoorie are some of the places where you can enjoy a family vacation on a budget in India. Jaipur and Jaisalmer are also perfect for taking a short getaway trip on a budget. Rajasthan may be the city of royals but you can definitely enjoy a holiday on a budget.
Which are all the places to visit with parents outside India?
If you are planning a foreign trip with your elder parents, then you could take them to Singapore or Sri Lanka. Even Bali is an amazing place to plan a family trip. These places are not costly, the weather is nice, and there are experiences for all age groups.
People Also Read: