Cover Image Credit: wikimedia
Karjat has been attracting a significant crowd of thrill-seeking tourists lately. This is one of the most popular destinations for white water river rafting in Maharashtra and if you love a dash of adventure on your getaway then you ought to try river rafting in Karjat for an exciting trip.
Karjat is located on the bank of Ulhas river, which is known for its beautiful streamlining waters. It is a picturesque village of Maharashtra situated in the Raigad district and has lush green farms and plots. It is encompassed by the Western Ghats and the ancient Kondana caves.
River rafting in Karjat is about enjoying the chilled waters while being surrounded by the Sahyadri range and the beautiful valleys of Maharashtra. This is your perfect weekend getaway if you are in Mumbai or Pune and want to be away from the city and bask in nature.
Whitewater River Rafting In Karjat
One of the most popular river rafting spots in Maharashtra is Karjat. The Ulhas river and its tributary Pej flow throughout the year. During their journey, it clashes with several Western ghats rocks and generates turbulent white water rapids. These white water rapids attract tourists from all over India to experience the thrill and navigate the waters of Pej and Ulhas. Karjat is surrounded by beautiful forests, and you can stay in many campsites and enjoy its beauty.
The frequent rapids in Pej is an enthralling experience, and it offers up to 12 levels of rapids. This is not found in any other place in Maharashtra. The level of rapids ranges from easy to moderately severe. Pej river and its waters teach you maneuvering skills like no other. The instructor will be guiding you through the entire journey and warning you before a rapid. You can also enjoy a natural jacuzzi experience in Karjat. The total river distance here is 5 km.
Best Time For River Rafting In Karjat
The best advantage of River rafting in Karjat is that it’s available all year round. You can plan your weekend anytime and enjoy river rafting in Karjat. Karjat and its scenic beauty are at its peak during Monsoon. The months from June to August are the most crowded in Karjat, and tourists from all over India swarm here in massive numbers. The river transforms into a churning beast during this time, and the rapids will shock you and fill you with the endorphins. During the summer months, the weather isn’t that hot, and in winters, chilled waters and misty mornings are a perfect combination. The average temperature is 13-degrees celsius to 35-degrees celsius.
Tips For River Rafting In Karjat
When visiting Karjat for river rafting trips, always make sure to take the following precautions and remember a few essential things. Here’s a list of crucial tips for beginners for best river rafting in Karjat.
- Brace Yourself In The Raft: It’s important to stay firmly planted in the boat. The three points of balance are feet, seat, and paddle. Always keep your foot tucked securely and sturdy under the air tube. Place a correct distance to get quickly from sitting position. Always maintain your place at the outer rim of the boat. Keeping the proper method of holding the paddle is a crucial step to avoid mishaps.
- Know How To Swim: River rafting involves floating in the swirling waters. The rapids can never be judged, and you may never know when you may need to get down there in the water. Stay calm and swim-ready. Your life jacket and helmet will protect you, and your instructor will guide you to a safe place. You can be assured not to get steered into tight zones. Just remember to keep your feet up and continue swimming.
- Choose The Right Outfit: Selecting the right gear for river rafting in Karjat is extremely important. Always check the weather conditions beforehand and then decide on what you will be wearing. If it’s hot outside cooling clothes, figure out which will keep you ventilated and protect you from the sun. Apply enough sunblock to avoid any sunburn. During the monsoon, always carry a waterproof jacket and raincoat with you. During the winter month, wear warm clothes that will prevent heat loss from the body.
- Have A Nutritious Snack Before The Adventure: River rafting is a physically exhausting adventure, and you need to ensure that you are energized to avoid fatigue. Taking some fruits, nuts, and energy drinks will ensure you have well-regulated blood glucose levels and normal blood pressure.
What To Pack For River Rafting In Karjat
You should always be well prepared for river rafting in Karjat with the necessary gear and equipment. These are things you should pack for rafting in Karjat.
- Dry towels and spare pair of clothes
- Clean drinking water
- Nutrition snacks
- Disposable waterproof camera
Note: Always carry your valuables in waterproof bags or ziplock pouches.
Cost of White Water River Rafting In Karjat
River rafting in karjat will cost you about 1000 rupees per head. You can also add camping a delicious lunch to your package and make the best of your Karjat trip.
How To Reach Karjat
- By Air: Mumbai is the nearest metro city from Karjat. Mumbai’s domestic airport is connected to all major cities in India. You can plan a trip to Karjat by flying to Mumbai and then traveling by train or road to Karjat.
- By Rail: Regular local trains regularly run from Mumbai to Karjat. It has got its major railway station and is frequented by commuters daily. You can take a bus or cab to Karjat from Mumbai or Pune. Frequent state buses run daily. This is your cheapest way to reach Karjat.
Karjat is one of the most sought after tourist destinations in Maharashtra. Beautiful mountains along with stormy waters of the Ulhas river will leave you mesmerized. One of the most underrated locations in the country can be explored followed by river rafting in Karjat to add a dash of adventure on your trip to Maharashtra.
Disclaimer: TravelTriangle claims no credit for images featured on our blog site unless otherwise noted. All visual content is copyrighted to its respectful owners. We try to link back to original sources whenever possible. If you own the rights to any of the images, and do not wish them to appear on TravelTriangle, please contact us and they will be promptly removed. We believe in providing proper attribution to the original author, artist or photographer.
Please Note: Any information published by TravelTriangle in any form of content is not intended to be a substitute for any kind of medical advice, and one must not take any action before consulting a professional medical expert of their own choice.
Frequently Asked Questions About River Rafting In Karjat
What should you avoid carrying while river rafting?
When planning for river rafting in Karjat, always avoid carrying jewelry, cash, valuables, mobile phone, and camera. These items are strictly not allowed in the raft.
What are the rapid levels and grades for rafting in Kart?
All the white water rafting is classified according to different levels. This is done according to difficulty and the level of waves and tides. Level one is class one rapid, and level 2 is class 2 rapid, and so on. The easiest rapids are at level 1 and 2 and are usually advised for newbies and beginners.
What is the price of white water river rafting in Karjat? Can I get group discounts?
White Water River rafting in Karjat will cost you between 1000 to 2500 rupees, depending upon the facilities you avail. If you are a larger group, you can get a good discount.
How long does it take to complete river rafting in Karjat?
River rafting in Karjat can be completed in an hour or two, depending on the ongoing weather conditions and river water levels.
Is there any age limit for river rafting in Karjat?
Anyone above the age of 14 can enjoy river rafting in Karjat. It is one of the safest river rafting options in India, and you will always remember it.
People Also Read: