Built early in the 19th century, the Buddhist Wat Phra That Doi Suthep is one of the sacred and most important temples in Chiang Mai, Thailand. The structure is an incredible piece of architecture and skilled craftsmanship. For those who are looking forward to an extraordinary experience full of peace and tranquility, Wat Phra That Doi Suthep temple is the place to be!
About Wat Phra That Doi Suthep
A sacred place for the Thai people, this Wat Phra That Doi Suthep temple is marked by seven-headed serpent statues that line the 306 stairs. Once you reach the terrace of the temple, the view from the top is just spellbinding. And to make the most of it, make sure you keep this guide handy.
Wat Phra That Doi Suthep Location
Wat Phra That is located on top of the Doi Suthep mountain, nearly 15 kilometers out of Chiang Mai. Perched on the Doi Suthep mountain on the western outskirts of Chiang Mai lies one of the famous northern Thailand’s most sacred temples.
Planning your holiday in Thailand but confused about what to do? These Thailand travel stories help you find your best trip ever!
Real travel stories. Real stays. Handy tips to help you make the right choice.
Wat Phra That Doi Suthep History
Set in the heart of Thailand, Wat Phra That Doi Suthep was established in 1383 by King Keu Naone to enshrine a piece of bone which is said to be a part from Buddha’s shoulder. It was brought to Lanna by a wandering monk from Sukhothai, and was broken into two pieces at the base of the mountain, with one piece being enshrined at Wat Suan Dok.
The second bone was mounted on a sacred white elephant (an important symbol in Thailand) which was released into the jungle. The elephant is said to have climbed up Doi Suthep and stopped, trumpeted three times, then dropped dead. This was interpreted as an omen, and that is how the construction of the temple began on the orders of King Nu Naone.
Wat Phra That Doi Suthep Compounds
Suggested Read: 10 Chiang Mai Resorts: Treat For One’s Body & Soul In Thailand
Wat Phra That Doi Suthep complex comprises pavilions, pagodas, statues, and wiharns. Visitors can visit a museum that is constructed inside the premise where one can find ancient relics, photographs, and old pieces of temple wares. Also, the pavilions contain the living quarters for monks, a prayer hall called Ubosot, a souvenir shop, and a small shops for drinks and snacks.
Wat Phra That Doi Suthep Entrance Fee: Wat Phra That Doi Suthep Entrance Fee is 30 Baht.
How To Get To Wat Phra That Doi Suthep
Find below different means to reach Wat Phra That Doi Suthep:
If you plan to drive on your own and reach by car, then take the Huai Kaew – Chiang Mai University – Chiang Mai Zoo road. This will lead way to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep signposted.
By A Songthaew
- Red songthaews leave from Huay Kaew Road near the Zoo and cost 40 Baht per person for one way.
- You can also charter songthaews from anywhere in the city.This should cost 300 Baht for one way or 500 Baht if you want the driver to wait at the top and bring you back down after visiting the temple.
- Either you can walk up the 306 steps or you can take funicular-style cable car, which runs from 6 AM to 6 PM and costs 20 Baht for locals and 50 Baht for foreigners.
Tips For Visiting Wat Phra That Doi Suthep
Suggested Read: 10 Indian Restaurants In Krabi: Get Desi Zayaka In Thailand
- Wear pants inside the temple or the temple authorities will give you a sarong to cover yourself if you are wearing shorts.
- You will have to climb a lot of rugged and uneven stairs. Make sure your shoes are comfortable.
- Camera and tripods are allowed inside the temple premises.
- Do not mess around the temple because the security force is armed.
- At Wat Phra That Doi Suthep Chiang Mai, they also have Tiaw Khuen Doi Festival. During this festival devotees the travel up Doi Suthep Hill to worship the Buddhist relics enshrined there, and it is not to be missed at all.
Fascinating isn’t it? Then what are you waiting for? Plan a visit to the majestic Wat Phra That Doi Suthep, and get going by customizing one of the Thailand tour packages with TravelTriangle for a hassle-free journey!
Looking To Book An International Holiday?
Book memorable holidays on TravelTriangle with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.