Berlin, the incredible European city is an eclectic mix of architectural beauty, rich culture, amazing art and a fabulous nightlife. While strolling along the city is like walking through the pages of history, modern Berlin is also waiting to entice you with its bold and brilliant experiences. With more than 100 museums brimming with painting masterpieces and historical artefacts, the city has culture and art running through its veins. This wonderful city is also a haven for foodies with great street food and restaurants serving world cuisine, while few cities in Europe can beat the range of beer varieties you’ll find here. Along with its awe-inspiring monuments including the iconic Berlin Wall, the city is a shopaholic’s dream destination with vibrant flea markets, designer boutiques, and quirky stores spread across the city.
Best Time To Visit Berlin
Though most people plan their Europe sojourn in summers, travel experts believe that late spring (May) and early autumn (September) are the best times to visit Germany weather wise. However, if you do not mind the cold weather then visiting Berlin in December opens up a whole new world of glittering Christmas markets and the contagious festive spirit of the city. Since Berlin is awash with some of the best museums and monuments in the world, visiting the city in this season gives you a chance to explore them at leisure minus the queues and hordes of tourists jostling to click pictures. With the right frame of mind, a little planning and our guide for Berlin in December you can be sure of making this a trip to remember.
Reasons To Visit Berlin In December
- There’s nothing like saving on those hefty air ticket and hotel prices that burn a hole in your
pocket whenever you plan a trip to Europe. If you book well in time, Berlin in December can be easy on the pocket and a whole lot of fun.
- The city hosts some spectacular events and shows during the festive month of December and you can book them in advance to get great deals. Early December is especially good for deals and discounts on shows.
- Wherever you go, you’ll find lesser crowds and more time to admire the attractions at leisure and click some unforgettable pictures. Shorter queues, lower prices and better views is the order of the day!
- The magical wand of a light snowfall makes everything prettier to look at and click.
- New Year’s Eve in Berlin is one not-to-be missed celebration with some scintillating fireworks at Brandenburger Tor and crazy partying all across the city.
- Some of the best operas, theatres and symphonies have regular performances during the winter season, while they close during the summers. So it’s a good time to catch some amazing shows at good prices.
- It is the perfect weather to indulge in a rejuvenating spa and sauna experience at the cities many relaxing spas. Though Vabali Spa offers an unmatched experience, there are numerous less expensive and wonderful options.
- It’s a great time to experience the thrill of ice-skating at the many skating rinks across the city where you can easily rent ice skates.
- Other interesting activities at Berlin in December include witnessing a Christmas Circus at Tempodrom or taking a romantic brunch and boat tour through the city’s waterways.
Europe Holiday Packages On TravelTriangle
Explore the most beautiful places to visit in Europe, from Paris to the Venice canals and from the Greek islands to the Swiss alps. Book customized packages by expert agents on TravelTriangle. Inclusive of airport transfers, cab, resort, sightseeing and meals. Best holiday experience Guaranteed. Book Now
Berlin Weather In December
December is amongst the coldest months in Berlin, with shorter days and minimum temperatures often dropping below freezing point. It does snow in Berlin in December, most time covering the city in a thin veil of snow that makes everything look beautiful. Let’s look at the temperatures to know how cold is Berlin in December:
Average temperature: 1 degree Celsius
Low temperature (average): -1 degree Celsius
High temperature (average): 3 degree Celsius
Best Things To Do In Berlin In December
Despite the dipping temperatures and the question ‘does it snow in Berlin in December’ looming large on your mind when planning a trip to Berlin in December, we recommend you plan a trip to the city in this season to experience it in a whole new light. Hers are our top picks for things to do if you’re visiting Berlin in December 2018:
1. Christmas Markets: Get Enchanted By The Beautiful Souvenirs
There’s nothing like visiting a beautiful Christmas market with twinkling fairly lights and assorted goodies to get into the festive spirit. With more than 100 amazing, unique and quirky winter markets that spring up in the city every winter, you can choose to visit the best few to experience their warm glow that beats the frosty weather. You can pick handcrafted gifts, sample the famous mulled wine or winter delicacies like creamed mushrooms & kale and sausage stews. The carnival-themed Wintertraum am Alexa market is a great choice for families with its many rides and attractions.
Best winter markets in Berlin: Gendarmenmarkt (for crafts and sweets), Alexanderplatz, Spandau and Charlottenburg.
2. Food: Relish Cuisines That Will Warm You Up
Winter is the best time to sample the city’s culinary delights at the numerous cozy and classy restaurants offering gourmet food, exotic dishes and traditional fare. Come Christmas, the chefs gear up to bring you some of their best dishes in new and interesting avatars to steal the heart of every diehard foodie. From roast beef & roast goose to delicious fondue, there’s so much to tickle your taste buds.
Recommended restaurants: 3 Schwestern, Clarchens Ballhaus, Borchardt, Dicke Wirtin
3. Botanischer Garten: Explore The Winter Wonderland
Prepare to be spellbound as you walk along the almost 2Km long trail of the Christmas garden at Berlin’s botanical garden, dazzling with fascinating light displays, 3 D figures and illuminated pathways. Some of the most enchanting displays include Field of Lights, magical Wish Tree and the beautiful fairy beech tree.
When: 20th January 2020 to 31st December 2020
4. Museums: Take Time To Marvel At Some Of The Best Ones
The city boasts of the highest density of museums in the world, so while you’re visiting Berlin in December there’s no better place to spend the cold days than inside some of these world-class museums showcasing their impressive collections. The UNESCO World heritage listed Museum Island in the heart of the city is a great place to begin your cultural adventure. This unique ensemble of five world-renowned museums is not to be missed when visiting the city.
Top museums in Berlin: Pergamon Museum, Altes Museum, German Historical Museum,Topography of Terror, Currywurst Museum (for a few good laughs!).
5. Babylon: Snuggle Up In The Vintage Splendour
If you’re looking to spend a romantic day in Berlin in December, the iconic Babylon theatre is the perfect place to snuggle up with your loved one while watching a silent classic movie with a live orchestra soundtrack. The place still preserves Germany’s largest cinema organ for providing thrilling musical accompaniment. The theatre opens daily and offers free midnight shows on Saturday. Another not-to-be-missed dreamy experience is a stroll through the enchanting woods of Tiergarten to soak in the tranquillity.
What To Pack
Once you make up your mind to take a trip to the city in winters, all you have to do is pack the right clothes to stay comfortable in the weather to enjoy the many interesting experiences. Here’s our checklist of essentials for your trip to Berlin in December:
1. Layering is the smartest way to beat the chill without having to lug too many heavy coats. Full-sleeved shirts/t-shirts, thermal inners, warm fleece and a down jacket will go a long way in keeping you warm and comfortable throughout your trip.
2. A long woollen scarf, a woollen coat, a pashmina/cashmere wrap and a fleece lined knit cap to protect you from the cold winds.
3. Comfortable boots to keep your feet warm, as well as warm gloves to protect your hands from the chill.
4. A collapsible umbrella and rain-proof day bag.
Travel Tips For Visiting Berlin In December
- Since the weather is the major deciding factor, it is a good idea to check the forecast for the entire length of your trip and plan your daily itinerary through the city accordingly. Clear sky days can be saved for important outdoor attractions like Brandenberg Tor and East Side Gallery.
- Do not forget to carry your international driving license, medical insurance and suitable adapters for your devices.
- If you’re spending more than 3 days in Berlin in December, then purchasing the Berlin Museum Pass is a great way to save money while not missing out on any of the top museums. The pass allows you to visit 45 best museums over three consecutive days.
With a little bit of planning and some high festive spirits, Berlin in December will surely turn out to be a trip to remember. So, what’s stopping you? Plan your trip to Europe with TravelTriangle already and head out on an unforgettable journey that’ll you cherish for lifelong!
Frequently Asked Questions
A. If you’re visiting Berlin in December the days are shorter at that time of the year which means there are only eight hours of daylight. While the temperature is cold and it is a wonderful time to visit the city.
A. People can expect snowfall in Berlin in December but it’s not necessary. The weather in Berlin during December is around 3 degrees celsius and in the sunshine, it can rise up to few degrees.
A. December is one of the best time to visit Berlin as the city brims up with holiday spirit of mulled wine, Christmas markets, lit-up trees and many more things which makes this one of the best times of the year.
A. While you’re in Berlin make sure to visit the Christmas markets, go sledding at the winter wonderland, watch the Christmas lights, feel the festive vibe in Gluhwein and also you can go and warm up the fire tong punch.
A. Weihnachtszauber Gendarmenmarkt is the most famous one in Berlin which welcomes around 6,00,000 people. This market is located just opposite the Konzerthaus and can be reached by foot from any station nearby.
A. Berlin is one of the cheapest cities in Western Europe, so if someone wants a budget-trip. This place is best for backpackers and anyone who wants to explore a good place in a good deal.
A. The best month to visit Berlin is from May to September when the weather is quite pleasant to sit in a cafe or just to enjoy a lazy afternoon taking a stroll.
Looking To Book An International Holiday?
Book memorable holidays on TravelTriangle with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.
People Also Read: