Do you have a thing for music and mountains? If yes, the Fuji Rock Festival is just for you! This is one of the world popular rock music festivals held in Japan. Famous and upcoming artists share the stage at this fest to present the best of their senses, tastes, and skills in the genre of rock music. Be a part of this magnificent festival and witness the mountains come alive.
About Fuji Rock Festival
Fuji Rock Festival is one of the biggest outdoor music festivals held in Japan. The first-ever edition of this fest was held in the summer of 1997, at the foot of the iconic Mount Fuji. The theme of the year, ‘Symbiosis of nature and music’ was aptly set considering the spirit of music and the beauty of its venue.
But the show faced many challenges in its inaugural year A typhoon hit the region on the second day of the show because of which it had to be called off. But without losing heart, the show was held the next year, in 1998, at Toyasu, Tokyo. Finally, it returned to its soul-location, the Naeba Ski Resort in Niigata prefecture. The experience has helped Fuji Rock Festival to be prepared for anything. The festival now includes many attractions, food stalls and NGO booths.
Fuji Film Festival celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2016. The organisers and attendees had together made this one of the ‘cleanest festivals in the world’ but things have changed over the years. And now, the festival is striving to win back this title.
Fuji Rock Festival 2020
Dates: 21st to 23rd August
Venue: Naeba Ski Resort, 202 Mikuni, Yuzawa, Minamiuonuma District, Niigata 949-6212, Japan
Youtube: The Fuji Rock Festival’20 will go live on Youtube on all 3 days on the official Fuji Rock YouTube channel
- 1 day ticket: INR 11,400 – INR 12,000
- 2 day ticket: INR 20,300 – INR 21,600
- 3 day pass ticket: INR 25,300 – INR 26700
Stages At The Venue
There are several different stages, tents and open areas at the venue where various performances are scheduled:
- Green Stage – This is the main stage and can accommodate approx. 40,000 people
- White Stage – This is the second stage and can accommodate approx. 15,000 people
- Red Marquee – This is a large tent that can accommodate approx. 5,000 people
- Field Of Heaven – Surrounded by forests, this stage can accommodate approx. 5,000 people
- Gypsy Avalon – This is a small stage that can accommodate about 1,000 people
- The Palace Of Wonder – There are 2 stages here – Crystal Palace Tent, a beautiful mobile tent, and Rookie A Go-Go, a stage for the newcomers
- Naeba Cafeteria – It is a dining room that converts into a stage at night
- Kodo Koji – This is a small stage amidst forest located on the boardwalk from White Stage to Field Of Heaven
- Pyramid Garden – This is a stage for performances and activities, which is lit by candle art
- Cafe de Paris – It is an adult ballroom inspired by Paris’ historical cabaret ‘Moulin Rouge’
- Day Dreaming – It is a platform uphill that can be reached via the longest (25 minutes) gondola ride in Japan
- Gan-Ban Square – This is a stage & an outdoor dance floor at a corner of OASIS
- Blue Galaxy – Is an iconic blue tent with dance scenes, bar, and food
- Orange Cafe – It is the premier roof of the show held from 11:00 to 19:00, every day
- All Night Fuji
Fuji Rock Festival Lineup 2020
DISCLAIMER: The following festival lineup if of the previous year. We will be coming up with the latest details soon. So stay tuned!
The performances will be conducted at different stages within the venue:
26th July 2019 – Friday
- Green Stage – The Chemical Brothers | Ellegarden | Janelle Monae | Route 17 Anne-Marie | Red Hot Chilli Pipers
- White Stage – Thom Yorke | Tomorrow’s Modern Boxes | Tycho Gary Clark Jr.
- Red Marquee – Mitski Toro Y Moi Original Love
- Planet Groove – Kaytranada
- Field Of Heaven – The Lumineers The Waterboys
27th July 2019 – Saturday
- Green Stage – Sia | Martin Garrix | Asian Kung-Fu Generation | Cake Boys
- White Stage – Death Cab For Cutie | American Football | Clammbon Courtney Barnett
- Red Marquee – Daniel Caesar Alvvays Dygl
- Planet Groove – Jonas Blue
- Field Of Heaven – Ego-Wrappin’ | George Porter Jr. & Friends
28th July 2019 – Sunday
- Green Stage – The Curse | Jason Mraz | Superfly | Hiatus Kaiyote | Never Young Beach Hanggai
- White Stage – James Blake | Vince Staples | Kohh Hyukoh
- Red Marquee – (Ejin) Chon | Phony Ppl
- Planet Groove – Takkyu Ishino
- Field Of Heaven – Khruangbin Toe
For more details on performances and stages, click here!
Planning your holiday but confused about where to go? These travel stories help you find your best trip ever!
Real travel stories. Real stays. Handy tips to help you make the right choice.
Places To Visit Near Naeba Ski Resort
1. Cassa Dam
Cassa Dam is a dam in Japan which was built in 1978. Located in the town of Yuzawa, it has become one of the most popular tourist attractions in the region. Visit the dam to enjoy and soak in its tranquil scenic beauty. The serene water body and the green surroundings along with mountains in the backdrop create a picture-perfect setting.
Location: Mitsumata, Yuzawa, Minamiuonuma District, Niigata 949-6211, Japan
Distance: 23.7 Km
Time taken: 58 minutes
2. Ose Waterfalls
Ose Waterfalls is a gorgeous cascade located in the Yuzawa town of Japan. It has become one of the must-visit places near Naeba Ski Resort. The fall is surrounded by lush greenery and offers a truly refreshing experience for anyone who visits it. Make sure you follow all the safety tips around the waterfall.
Location: Mikuni, Yuzawa, Minamiuonuma District, Niigata 949-6212, Japan
Distance: 6.2 Km
Time taken: 21 minutes
3. Shima no Oketsu
Shima no Oketsu is a site with potholes inside a river stream in Japan. These perfectly round-shaped potholes have been naturally created by the swirl and erosion inside the river over many years. These holes are located around 130 meters downstream and their diameters range from 23 – 45 centimeters. There are about 8 potholes in total.
Location: 3520 Shima, Nakanojo-machi, Agatsuma-gun 377-0601, Gunma Prefecture
Distance: 52.9 Km
Time taken: 1 hour 32 minutes
How To Reach Naeba Ski Resort
By Air: The nearest international airport to Naeba Ski Resort is Narita International Airport, located 268 Km away and can be reached 3 hours 43 minutes.
By Road: Drive on Kan-etsu Expressway, and take the Yuzawa exit, which is about 170 km away from Central Tokyo. Then take Route 17 and drive on for about 22 km.
By Train: The nearest railway station to Naeba Ski Resort is Echigo Yuzawa Station. It runs along the JR Joetsu Bullet Train Line and links Tokyo to Niigata.
- From Tokyo: You can reach Echigo Yuzawa Station within 1.5 hours in a bullet train
- From Osaka or Kyoto: You can reach Echigo Yuzawa Station through Tokyo in a bullet train and chance to Joetsu Bullet Train Line that will drop you in 1.5 hour
- From Nagoya: Reach Tokyo in a bullet train and change to Joetsu Bullet Train Line to reach Echigo Yuzawa Station
Just like Fuji Rock Festival, there are many other popular music festivals organised in Japan. Check out there dates and plan a trip to Japan right away. Make sure you book your tickets in advance as these festivals have a wide and strong fan base round the globe.
People Also Read:
Looking To Book A Holiday Package?
Book memorable holidays on TravelTriangle with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.