Mumbai, the city of dreams, is the birthplace of this iconic event which is known to us as the Kala Ghoda Art Festival. It is said that the city has turned the fate of many in the field of arts and entertainment, and hence, Kala Ghoda Association was formed about two decades ago so that the artists would be able to return the favor to the city. And after all these years, the Kala Ghoda Art Festival has successfully become one of the largest multicultural festivals that the country has ever witnessed. From movies to theatre, check out what all you can be a part of next year with the help of this handy guide!
About Kala Ghoda Art Festival
Not only did the Kala Ghoda Art Festival go on to become successful, it also won millions of hearts this year by celebrating its legacy of a whopping 21 years. And if time allows again, check out all that you’ll be able to witness at this epic festival next year.
Location: Fort, Mumbai
Inaugural Date: 30th October 1999
Duration: 9 Days
Timings: 10 AM to 10 PM
Entry Fee: Free
Note: While the Kala Ghoda Festival dates are planned and fixed in the month of February every year, the information regarding its date and timings for the next year are yet to be announced due to the Covid-19 crisis.
What To Expect From Kala Ghoda Festival?
Having commemorated 20 years of excellence in the field of performing arts and promoting the rich multicultural talent this year, one can expect Kala Ghoda Festival to bring out the best of this extraordinary metropolis of Mumbai. Also in a bid to preserve the significance of South Mumbai that is reckoned to be the heritage and art district of Maharashtra, Kala Ghoda Association draws participation and viewers in numbers beyond your imagination. Also, the event hits right in the feels with its themes. Apart from celebrating two successful decades, the event also commemorated Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birthday as a theme. Hence, you can expect a lot of nostalgia in addition to the unlimited fun and excitement.
Suggested Read: 34 Super Amazing Things To Do In Mumbai On Your 2020 Vacay!
Highlights Of Kala Ghoda Art Festival
As known to the locals as the great Kala Ghoda Mahotsav, the festival celebrates the excellence in mostly all the fields of performing arts and creativity. Moreover, the moment you think you know what’s next, you’re always in for a little surprise with a lot of popular celebrities making appearances and taking the stage by storm. Hence, make sure you do not miss out on these varied highlights of the festival:
- Movies: Not just any movies but short films, documentaries, and literally movies that will either blow your mind or leave you with a different perspective by the end of the day. Also, one can always expect offbeat genres to be the core of the films showcased in the events.
- Theatre: Dramatic societies, and storytelling is not everyone’s cup of tea and that is exactly what the artists prove with excellent shows across venues at this 9-day event. With many theatrical acts across languages like that of Hindi, Parsi, Gujarati, English, and so on, one can definitely expect to have a great time at the festival.
- Food: From your favorite Paani puri to the local Vada pav, the street food and the authentic Indian dishes will only leave you drooling all day. Make sure you have the appetite to try your hands on as much as you can.
- Music: Well the concerts are definitely the head-turners of the festival. They can get you high on the vibes and you cannot help but be an active part of the crowd who’re cheering on for their favorite singers like Shilpa Rao, Jonita Gandhi, Shaan, Taufiq Quershi, and many others.
- Dance: From Bharatnatyam to hip-hop and from Kathak to salsa, expect all the International dance forms and Indian classical performances to leave you jaw-dropped for sure.
- Visual Arts: Standing tall or maybe even hanging high in some of the cases, the art installations at the Kala Ghoda Art Festival are truly a living witness to the creative talent that is present in the country.
- Stand-up Comedy: A collective line-up that comprises both the famous and the amateur artists, the stand-up comedy performances do make the crowd feel alive as they break-out into a laughter which is much needed for a festival to stay happy.
- Literature: Well those who are a fan of the Lit fests will know what’s about to go down. However, the interesting discussions with the famous authors and the poetry recitals are something not to be missed in addition to the new book launches.
- Architecture: While the festival talks and boasts of preserving the heritage and art district, it couldn’t have let the innovations in design and architecture behind in this festival. Explore the world of design and smart cities and be nothing less than thrilled.
- Heritage Walks: Sightseeing, heritage walks, rides on the famous double-decker buses, etc. are an integral part of walking the guests down the cultural and historical lane of Mumbai.
- Other Events: Various workshops and activities are planned keeping children as the focus since they are the future generation of the country. Also, indulge yourself in close to 150+ stalls where all the handmade art and crafts will be up for sale by local artisans.
Kala Ghoda Festival Location
While the inaugural event may happen at the Kalaghoda at the Fort in Mumbai, the events are held at various locations as follows:
- Movies: Coomaraswamy Hall and Visitor Centre Auditorium at CSMVS, and Mahatma Gandhi Road
- Theatre: Horniman Circle Garden at the Fort, NGMA at MG Road, Oricon House at K Dubash Marg
- Food: Kala Ghoda, Fort, Mumbai
- Music: Cross Maidan at MG Road, Town Hall at Shaheed Bhagat Singh Road, and Churchgate
- Dance: Cross Maidan at MG Road, and Churchgate
- Visual Arts: Horniman Circle Garden, Kalaghoda and Artists’ Centre at K Dubash Marg, Cross Maidan and Army Navy Building at MG Road
- Stand Up Comedy: Irish House at K Dubash Marg
- Literature: David Sassoon Library Garden, MG Road
- Architecture: Library at Max Mueller Bhavan
- Workshops: BNHS at Shaheed Bhagat Singh Road, and Ador House at K Dubash Marg
Tips For Attending Kala Ghoda Festival
- For the outsiders who are visiting Mumbai just for the event, you might want to plan your stay well in advance. All the hotels will be full if you do not book your accommodation on time.
- Book your tickets early and reap the benefits of being an early bird as the special discounts run out fast as well.
- Be early to the events as well in order to avoid the queue and the crowd at the entrance.
- Make sure you carry appropriate clothing according to the season and the weather in Mumbai. It’s usually early spring in the Feb.
- You might want to keep that DSLR or a good camera handy to capture all the right moments.
Ready to witness the magic and be a part of a multicultural montage on your next trip to Mumbai? Well do keep your eyes and mind open to absorb the beauty of this festival which is nothing less than a melting pot of different cultures, traditions, and ideologies coming together. And we’re pretty sure you’ll definitely feel more than alive once you see the city coming alive with flying colours.
Disclaimer: TravelTriangle claims no credit for images featured on our blog site unless otherwise noted. All visual content is copyrighted to its respectful owners. We try to link back to original sources whenever possible. If you own rights to any of the images and do not wish them to appear on TravelTriangle, please contact us and they will be promptly removed. We believe in providing proper attribution to the original author, artist or photographer.
Frequently Asked Questions About Kala Ghoda Art Festival
What is Kala Ghoda Festival all about?
Kala Ghoda Festival is all about celebrating the beauty of creativity and performing arts which is to preserve the authenticity of the heritage and art district of South Mumbai.
Which city hosts the Kala Ghoda Art Festival in India?
The city of dreams - Mumbai hosts the Kala Ghoda Art Festival in India.
For how many days is the Kala Ghoda Art Festival celebrated?
The Kala Ghoda Art Festival is celebrated for a period of nine days in the heart of Mumbai.
What are the entry charges for Kala Ghoda Mahotsav?
There are no entry charges for Kala Ghoda Mahotsav. It is absolutely free for everyone.
When was the first Kala Ghoda festival held?
The first Kala Ghoda festival was held in the year of 1999.
People Also Read: