Portugal is a beautiful country which is located in the south west of Europe. Lisbon is the largest city and is entitled as the capital of Portugal. Portugal is famous for its seasons and the beauty of nature in it. With simply so many things to do around in here, you cannot afford going wrong with the planning part. So, why wait?
Scroll down to know what awaits you in this gorgeous land and plan your summer in Portugal for a thrilling experience like never before!
Best Time To Visit Portugal
The most appropriate time to visit Portugal is the spring which starts from the month of February or in a season of early autumn which falls in the month of October. The most famous flowers that beautify the spring are the carpet hillsides and the almond blossom. The autumn season is neither too hot nor too cold. It has a warm touch of the wind along with the coldness of sea breeze. Swimming is quite common but it lasts from June to September in the official outdoor beaches.
Portugal Weather In Summer
The lovely season of summer in Portugal begins from the month of June and ends in the month of September. 30°C is the daytime variation of the country. August is the official Portuguese holiday month and is the best summertime to visit Portugal. Also, the beaches and river pools are quite full and prices of the restaurants and hotels are very high in August. The weather is mild at the south Portugal region while in north Portugal, the weather is quite cold with sharp sunshine rays coming along the borderline of the snowy mountains.
Summer Festivals In Portugal
Portugal festivals explain the culture, tradition, religion, classical and contemporary music of the region. There are numerous events and music festivals that give us deep insights into the tourism and travel of Portugal. Some of these famous festivals are as follows:
- International Sand Sculpture Festival is celebrated from March till August. There are about a number of sand sculptures made by the artists that depict the life of people and their lifestyle in detail.
- Serralves em Festa is held in the Baixa area of Porto in the month of June describing the classical music, theatre, circus, plays, drama, dance, and architecture for about 40 hours for free to the local people.
- Rock festival is celebrated with pomp and show from 20th till 30th of June in the Lisbon’s Bela Vista Park. It is a 5-day music event where all kinds of musical songs are being performed by the singers and artists in the form of concerts.
- St Anthony Festival is held in a spectacular way in the mid of June in the Alfama district. Delicious dishes along with the mesmerizing songs and poems add to the melody of love and affection among the people.
- Arraial Pride is a kind of gay pride event at the end of June in Portugal celebrated with fun and frolic in the streets and marketplaces.
Best Summer Places In Portugal
There are numerous places suggested by Portugal Holiday Destinations Map that provides us with a glimpse of the magical country of Portugal. Some of them are discussed below!
1. Coimbra is the city of daydreaming beauty with several spectacular gardens, historical places, and lovely traditional artifacts. Coimbra has the world’s biggest libraries and is admired for Old Cathedral and Gothic Monastery as it contains the memories and tomb of Queen Isabel.
2. The Azores has São Miguel which is regarded as ”the Green Island” for being the largest island of Azores. Summer in Portugal would have been incomplete without the Azores as it consists of 9 volcanic islands in the deep Atlantic Ocean. Also, this place is admired for its hot springs, oceanic waves, and scenic beauty. Pico is considered as the highest mountain range in Portugal.
3. Aveiro is popularly known as “the Venice of Portugal” for its excellent architectural monuments and artifacts. Its captivating beaches, charismatic historical sites, mouth-watering food cuisines, beautiful bridges, and speedboats make it the attractive tourist destination in Portugal.
4. Evora is regarded as the capital of the Alentejo region with 4,000+ artistic sculptures. This city has the most appealing and heart throbbing monuments that explain the ancient history and culture of Europe.
Things To Do In Portugal
There are a number of things that you can do in the hot season of summer that will add on to your adventurous experience of traveling and will give you knowledge about the region of Portugal, Activities that you can do at the time of summer in Portugal are as follows:
1. River Cruises
Wine tasting is one of the melodious experience gained by the travelers and wine enthusiasts. Quinta da Pacheca is one of the oldest estates for wine tasting in the Douro where people come and enjoy the monumental beauty along with the delicious lunch. Also, River Cruise add-on to the splendid experience of wine tourism. Douro river cruise is one of the perfect cruise destinations all around the globe.
Suggested Read: A Guide To Help You Plan Your Portugal Honeymoon
2. Hiking and Bike Riding
Portugal is a perfect blend of adventure experiences as well as the natural scenic beauty which provides an opportunity to the travelers and tourists to explore the irresistible experience of hiking, bike riding, kayaks and many more. Areas such as Vinho Verde, Quinta do Ameal, Ponte de Lima etc are famous for these nature exploring activities.
Algarve beaches are the number one choice of surfers whenever it comes to enjoying the thrilling water waves in the hot summer season along the seashore. The beaches offer amazing sunrise and sunset view along with a huge variety of delicious seafood cuisines. Vinho Verde and Alentejo red are some of the fruity refreshing wines available for wine lovers.
Tips For A Summer In Portugal
Given below are some of the important tips that you should keep in mind before traveling to the blissful place of Portugal.
- Sunscreens are extremely important in the summer season in order to protect your skin from sunburns and gives your skin a shinning tan without causing damage to it. If you are planning to spend your summer in Portugal region especially in the city of Lisbon or Algarve then sunscreens are must for your face and body.
- Sunglasses: Apart from sunscreens, sunglasses are also very essential in order to protect your eyes and gives you a comfortable and clear vision at daytime especially when you are on the beach.
- Swimwear: Do not forget to take your sizzling swimwear before going on the vacation as it is a must for a beach trip. Also, buy a good quality swimwear that is comfortable for your skin and body.
- Electric adapter and Transformer: In order to charge the battery of your electronic devices such as e-readers, mobile phones, laptops, camera etc you need to have a charger. So please make sure that you keep your charger in your handbag before leaving for the trip.
Portugal is a dream city which is full of love, adventure, thrill, and fun. So, pack your bags and spend your summer in Portugal enjoying the beaches and lovely lifestyle. Plan your trip to Portugal for a soothing vacation like never before!
Disclaimer: TravelTriangle claims no credit for images featured on our blog site unless otherwise noted. All visual content is copyrighted to its respectful owners. We try to link back to original sources whenever possible. If you own the rights to any of the images, and do not wish them to appear on TravelTriangle, please contact us and they will be promptly removed. We believe in providing proper attribution to the original author, artist or photographer.
Please Note: Any information published by TravelTriangle in any form of content is not intended to be a substitute for any kind of medical advice, and one must not take any action before consulting a professional medical expert of their own choice.
Frequently Asked Questions About Summer In Portugal
What months are summer in Portugal?
Portugal faces the summer season during the months of june, july, august and also the first half of september.
What is the best time to visit Portugal?
Portugal is visited throughout the year by the tourists however the best time to visit this heavenly beautiful country is between March and May or September and October.
What are the best places to visit in Portugal?
Coimbra, Azores and Aveiro are some of the finest holiday destinations and must-see places to visit in Portugal.
What are the best things to do in Portugal in Summer?
There are several things to try in Portugal however most of the tourists are recommended to go for River cruises and for sure the adventure enthusiasts can opt for hiking and bike ride. Surfing is also widely done in Portugal.
What should you be carrying with yourself before heading out for a summer vacation in Portugal?
Some of the basic things to own or carry with yourself while heading out to experience a decent summer holiday in Portugal would be sunscreens, sunglasses, swimwear and electric adaptor.
What are the famous summer festivals in Portugal?
International Sand Sculpture Festival, Rock Festival and ST Anthony Festival are some of the best festivals to witness and experience with your friends and family.
Looking To Book An International Holiday?
Book memorable holidays on TravelTriangle with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.