If all this while you believed that a trip to Europe costs a bomb, we don’t really blame you. The beauty and grandeur certainly looks luxurious, but there are plenty of free things that make it feasible for backpackers and budget travelers to plan a trip here. From walking tours and museum hopping to the jaw-dropping Northern Lights, there is a wide range of free things to do in Europe.
Plan a vacation in Europe and enjoy the best it has to offer!
1. Witness the marvelous Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) in Finland, Iceland, Sweden, and Scotland
Europe Holiday Packages On TravelTriangle
Explore the most beautiful places to visit in Europe, from Paris to the Venice canals and from the Greek islands to the Swiss alps. Book customized packages by expert agents on TravelTriangle. Inclusive of airport transfers, cab, resort, sightseeing and meals. Best holiday experience Guaranteed. Book Now
2. See the Midnight Sun in Finland, Norway, and Sweden
3. Live the longest night of your life! The Polar Night – witnessed in Norway, Finland, and Iceland – lasts more than 24 hours
4. Take a stroll beside Amstel River in Amsterdam
5. Join the Comic Art Walk in Brussels by signing up in the tourist office in Hotel de Ville
6. Witness the Changing of Guards Ceremony in front of the royal Buckingham Palace, London
7. Hike the picturesque mountain trails
Best hiking trails in Europe: Tour Du Mont Blanc (France), Kungsleden (Sweden), Bernese Overland Trail (Switzerland), Slovenian Mountain Trail (Slovenia), and El Camino del Rey (Spain).
8. Be a part of free guided walks in the city. You could go for theme walks as well, such as food and heritage walks
Some of the best free guided tours in Europe are:
- Ljubljana, Slovenia – By The Ljubljana Free Tour
- Berlin, Germany – By Original Berlin Tours
- Porto, Portugal – By City Lovers Tours
- Krakow, Poland – By Free Walking Tour
- Paris, France – By New Europe Tours
9. Tour the most iconic museums in Europe
- Vatican Museum, Italy – Last Sunday of the month (between 9:00 am and 12:30pm)
- Louvre Museum, France – Fridays 6PM onwards (Free entry for visitors under 26 years) | Bastille Day (July 14) | First Sunday each month (From October to March)
- Berlin Wall Memorial, Germany
- Copenhagen National Museum, Denmark
10. Attend enlivening concerts if you love jazz, metal, pop and music in general
- Paris, France – Notre Dame (Sundays 4:30 PM)
- Amsterdam, Netherlands – Boekmanzaal Opera House
- Berlin, Germany – Little Stage (Free gigs are organized usually every Monday)
- London, England – The National Theatre, St. James’s Piccadilly
Suggested Read: DO NOT Leave For Europe Without Packing These 8 Things
11. Adopt volunteer tourism and feel the joy of giving
12. Enjoy the soulful view of Edinburgh from Arthur’s Seat
13. Catch Cooper’s dance performance in New Town Hall, Munich. It is known as the Glockenspiel show.
14. Behold the sparkling Eiffel Tower in the evening
15. Climb atop the Reichstag Building’s glass cupola in Germany
With the listed top free things to do in Europe you can explore without spending a penny. Which country will you go first?
Further Read: 12 Things You Don’t Need On Your European Packing List
Looking To Book An International Holiday?
Book memorable holidays on TravelTriangle with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.