The intoxicating mix of exotic locales, mesmerizing views, gorgeous beaches, volcanic landscapes and ‘luaus’ (parties) make Hawaii Islands one of the best travel destinations in the world. Each of the six inhabited Hawaiian Islands has its own unique flavor and offers a melange of sights and unforgettable experiences.
From simply putting your feet up and taking in the stunning ocean views to hiking lava trails, riding ATVs, snorkeling, and relishing delectable food, there’s so much in Hawaii for beach bums, nature lovers as well as adventure junkies. We bring to you the list of the best Hawaiian island to visit with a lowdown on the best activities on each one.
Best Time To Visit Hawaii
- The Hawaiian islands have a consistently tropical climate all year round, making any time of the year a good time to visit the Aloha State.
- Summer time day temperature is around 29 degrees Celsius, while it is approximately 26 degrees during winters. Night-time temperatures are almost 10 degrees lower than the day so a light jacket always comes in handy.
6 Best Hawaiian Islands
When you sit with the Hawaiian Islands map wondering whether to visit just one of the many islands or choose at least three best island in Hawaii, be rest assured whatever choice you make will be the right one. Here’s a list of Hawaiian Islands that will take your breath away with their splendour and natural beauty:
1. Hawai’i Or The Big Island
This new Hawaiian island, the youngest and largest one of all offers a kaleidoscope of nature and avenues for an adventure like no place else. It is here on The Big Island that you can witness not just flowing molten magma but snow-capped Mauna Kea volcano, black sand beaches and turquoise blue waters. Every region on this awe-inspiring island has its own personality and is the best island in Hawaii that you must visit.
Points Of Interest:
- Hamakua coast for black sand beaches, taro farms, and gushing waterfalls
Kona for the best snorkeling experience and an unforgettable tryst with manta rays and humpback whales makes it one of the best Hawaiian island to visit (in the winter season)
- Kau for gaping in wonder at a glowing Kilauea, one of the most active volcanoes in the world at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Here is where you can have the surreal experience of walking through lava tubes and a lava lake bed.
- Puna for dipping in the healing waters of geothermal springs, picturesque hikes and the amazing Lava Tree State Monument.
Suggested Read: Here’s What To Expect From A Honeymoon In Hawaii
Considered the most beautiful island in the US, this second largest of the Hawaiian island chain will enthral you with its magnificent beaches, delectable cuisine and breathtaking sunrise/sunset views. Mau’i also boasts of some of the best hiking trails traversing through lush tropical forests, majestic peaks and cascading waterfalls which makes it the best island in Hawaii.
Points Of Interest:
- Drive along the famous Hana Highway with its thrilling hairpin bends and bridges to witness the unmatched natural beauty of tropical rainforests, dip in natural waterfall pools and admire the island’s stunning landscape.
- Visit the charming town of Wailuku right before being awestruck by the lush valleys, gurgling brooks and mesmerizing scenery of Iao Valley State Park.
- Rejuvenate and relax at the gorgeous Makena, Wailea and Kihei beaches since Hawaiian islands distance is small.
- Get pampered at the luxurious Hawaiian resorts located at the islands in Hawaii.
The northernmost island, also called the Garden Isle is home to verdant green valleys, dramatic cliffs, magnificent waterfalls and unimaginably beautiful scenic views. Kaua’i is also the top choice amongst Hawaii island names for adventure and outdoor activities like kayaking, ziplining, snorkelling and hiking.
Points Of Interest:
- Napali coast for out-of-this-world landscapes: towering 3000-feet high cliffs, emerald green valleys and cascading waterfalls all along the 17-mile stretch displaying nature’s wonders.
- Witness the spectacular Wailua Falls and experience the joy of kayaking along the Wailua river.
- Waimea Canyon also called the Grand Canyon of the Pacific for breathtaking views and photo opportunities.
- Kokee State Park for an exhilarating hiking experience and a chance to witness native flora and fauna.
- Poipu beach for snorkelling and spotting Hawaiian monk seals and humpback whales.
The most populous of the Hawaiian islands and home to the fascinating capital city of Honolulu, O’ahu is the best Hawaiian Island to visit for experiencing the cultural diversity and richness of Hawaii and best Hawaiian island for families . With museums and monuments dedicated to the history of Hawaii, this island is also the place to sample gourmet food and local delicacies and rub shoulders with professional surfers which puts it on Hawaiian islands map.
Points Of Interest:
- Honolulu for Bishop Museum (a treasure trove of Polynesian artefacts), the royal Iolani Palace, Honolulu Museum of Art and the best fine dining restaurants serving Hawaiian cuisine.
- The stunning Waikiki beach for surfing lessons, upscale resorts and world-class shopping/dining.
- Diamond Head hike for sweeping views of Honolulu and the Pacific Ocean
- North Shore for being the undisputed surfing paradise that attracts the best surfing talent from across the world in the winter season.
The smallest of the Hawaiian Islands, Lana’i packs a solid punch with the myriad experiences, it is best hawaiian island for vacation . While its classy luxurious resorts and golf courses will entice those looking for a laidback holiday, its rugged natural beauty beckons those with a streak of adventure. You cannot miss the ubiquitous pineapple fields spread all over the island. Do visit this island as it is a part of the most popular Hawaii island names.
Points Of Interest:
- Hulopoe Bay for its amazing beach, snorkelling and a chance to view Spinner dolphins.
- Keahiakawelo, aptly christened the Garden of Gods for spectacular lunar landscapes and rock formations.
- The secluded and enticing Polihua beach to steal some moments of tranquillity.
- Off-roading to Kaiolohia or shipwreck beach for a thrilling 4-wheel drive ride and witness the abandoned ship.
Planning your holiday but confused about where to go? These travel stories help you find your best trip ever!
Real travel stories. Real stays. Handy tips to help you make the right choice.
Also called the Friendly Isle, Molokai is one of the smaller Hawaii island hopping, largely inhabited by the native people giving it a more rustic and authentic vibe. Home to world’s highest sea-cliffs and a stunning coral reef, it is one of the best islands in Hawaii where you can witness gorgeous natural vistas and experience the indigenous Hawaiian way of life.
Points Of Interest:
- The beautiful Papohaku white-sand beach for cool dips in sparkling blue waters and an amazing snorkeling experience.
- Kamakou Preserve for witnessing out of this world natural beauty of this tropical wonderland.
Kalaupapa National Historical Park for a memorable mule ride while you gape in wonder at the 1700 feet high cliffs
- Kapuaiwa Coconut Beach Park for a unique experience.
- Halawa valley for miles of taro fields, ancient temples and magnificent waterfalls.
Hawaiian Island Cruises
- Island-hopping to explore the best of Hawaiian attractions aboard a luxury cruise is also a great way to experience this amazing destination and see the hawaiian islands colors.
- From 7-day Hawaiian island cruises to those lasting 15 days, the itinerary covers major sights like the Waikiki beach, Pearl Harbor and active volcanoes including Kilauea.
How To Reach Hawaii Islands
With regular flights to Hawaiian Islands from major Indian cities, you can book well in advance for great deals. Though there are no direct flights but one-stop options are easily available.
General Travel Tips For Hawaiian Islands
- Getting around the Hawaiian islands map: On most of the islands, except O’ahu, the most convenient way to commute is by hiring a car or joining a group tour.
- Honolulu has a reliable public transport system hence you can easily travel using the same.
- Hawaiian Airlines has multiple reasonably price flights for inter-island travel. The commuter airline Mokulele is another hassle-free and affordable transport option.
- Just like the word Aloha, the ‘shaka’ hand signal comes in very handy for conveying everything from hello to goodbye and thank you.
What To Pack
- Comfortable casual wear is acceptable at almost all restaurants, except a few which require dinner jacket.
- Swimwear, sunscreen, sunglasses and hats are a must to enjoy the tropical weather.
- Comfortable shoes and sandals.
- Golf attire for those indulging in the game; surfboards and swimming gear can be easily rented.
Called the Aloha state after the friendliest word in the language, Hawaiians will greet you with friendly smiles and warm hospitality wherever you go. A holiday in Hawaii is surely a dream come true for those who want an intoxicating mix of nature, romance, and endless fun! So when are you going to witness the beautiful Hawaiian islands?
Frequently Asked Questions About Hawaii
Q. Which is the best Hawaiian Island to visit amongst Hawaii Islands?
A. Moloka’i – Best for Culture, Nature is one of the best islands in Hawaii Islands.
Q. What is the best way to reach Hawaii
A. There are regular flights available from Indian Cities for Hawaii.
Q. What is the best time to visit Hawaii?
A. Tourist can visit Hawaii throughout the year.
People Also Read:
Looking To Book A Holiday Package?
Book memorable holidays on TravelTriangle with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.