The Mauritius Aquarium is definitely one of the most attractive tourist spots in entire Mauritius. Built in a small village in the northwestern part of Mauritius, this aquarium is known for housing more than 200 species of fish, invertebrates, live coral, and sponges that originate from the waters surrounding the island.
About Mauritius Aquarium
The aquarium is home to many varieties of exotic tropical fish, including the very rare Clownfish. Visitors can also enjoy the beautiful scenery surrounding the aquarium, and relish food and refreshments at the many stalls within the aquarium premises.
Location: The Mauritius Aquarium is located in the coastal area of Pointe aux Piments towards the northern part of Mauritius. The Mauritius aquarium in trou aux biches was shifted a long time ago, so you can reach this place in about 20 minutes by car from Grand Bale.
Mauritius Holiday Packages On TravelTriangle
Take a break with an exotic holiday in Mauritius. Experience the best of Mauritius with North and South island tours: Inclusive of Hotels, Sightseeing, Transfers, & Meals. Best Prices Guaranteed. Customizable Package & Free Guidance From Destination Experts.
Best Time To Visit Mauritius Aquarium
Mauritius is blessed with a beautiful, temperate climate all year round, it is understandable if you want to spend most of your day enjoy lazy strolls along the beach. But if the weather turns cloudy, and it begins to rain, which is often the case in Mauritius during Monsoon, worry not! Head out to the Mauritius Aquarium – an excellent place to spend some quality time with your entire family. A trip to the aquarium is a must if you are traveling with kids.
A trip around the aquarium is nothing less than fun! Plan to spend a whole day or at least the morning at the center as it takes a considerable amount of time to tour this incredible aquarium, and even more if you stop to interact with the local expert biologist, to gather more information regarding the sea creatures. There is so much to see, that you will be hard pressed for time. The lush greenery all around the aquarium buildings in itself is a welcoming sight for sore eyes, not to mention the incredible collection of marine creatures that call this one of its kind aquarium, their home.
Things To Do In The Aquarium
Though this aquarium is small, it has a wonderful collection of tropical fish. A stroll through the five principal buildings on the premises will acquaint you with the rich, beautiful aquatic life of the Mauritian islands. The real attractions of the aquarium are the white-tipped reef sharks as well as the hawksbill turtles.
Apart from these exotic fishes and amphibians, you can also find the crown squirrelfish, batfish, and the clownfish, and other rare species that constitute Mauritius’s rich aquatic life. You will also find beautiful hermit crabs relaxing in their rocky homes, and lonely lobsters greeting visitors. The aquarium in Mauritius also has a beautiful seashell display for visitors to enjoy.
Main Attractions In Mauritius Aquarium
Here is the list of the main attractions that you should visit while exploring the aquarium.
- One of the most special attractions offered by the Mauritius Aquarium in Pointe aux Piments is the possibility of witnessing the feeding sessions, which take place daily at 11:00 am and 3:00 pm. It is a sight to behold, as the fishes, sharks, turtles and Giant Morays come within your arm’s reach to be fed by hand. In fact, you can also see the giant sharks being fed, which is at once both thrilling and slightly terrifying.
- Aquatic creatures like the leaf scorpionfish, the Durban Dancing Shrimp, and the Banded Cleaner Shrimp are other attractions that are unique to Mauritius and can be seen in this aquarium.
- A mysterious aquatic creature that you can also find in this aquarium is the ribbon eel. These fascinating creatures start their life as males and are black in color. When they grow up, their fins turn yellow and they turn blue as adults. As you walk from one tank to another, you will unveil interesting trivia regarding each kind of fish!
- Another attraction that is specially meant for your children is the ‘touch pool’, where your young tots can interact with friendly marine creatures like dolphins. You will find dozens of kids falling in love with the dolphins as they watch them flip, and play in the water! Do not be surprised if you cannot get them to leave the aquarium at the end of the day!
- A trip around the aquarium takes about an hour or maybe 90 minutes, but you can spend a long time in the aquarium, walking in its beautiful surroundings and enjoying amenities that it provides. Once your trip is complete, you can visit the gift shop on the premises. The gift shop sells copies of ‘Le Cereen’, which is one of the very first Mauritian newspapers founded by Adrien d’ Epinay in 1832. In fact, it is actually the oldest French newspaper in the world.
- You can also take a trip to the Photography Museum while visiting Mauritius Aquarium, where you will find some editions and the old press machines that were used to create newspapers during the 19th century. Obviously, the museum also houses some beautiful pictures of the exotic animals you just witnessed inside the tanks.
- To satiate your hunger pangs, there is a little cafeteria on the premises that serves delectable food and drinks to serve your hunger pangs. If you are a lover of nature, you will love this beautiful, cozy restaurant on the premises that is surrounded by trees on all sides. The set-up of the restaurant itself is absolutely elegant, and the cool and pleasant décor is sure to make you feel absolutely happy.
Timings & Entrance Fees
The aquarium is open from 9:30 am to 5 pm from Monday to Saturday and opens from 10 am to 4 pm on Sundays and public holidays. That being said, you might want to time your visit according to the feeding time mentioned above, because it would truly be a shame to miss that. The aquarium remains closed on 25th December and 1st January.
Mauritius aquarium entrance fee: INR 300 for Adults, INR 150 for Children
Head out to spend a fun filled vacation in the mesmerizing island of Mauritius, pack your bags, book your trip to Mauritius with TravelTriangle and don’t forget to include the Mauritius Aquarium in your itinerary!
Looking To Book An International Holiday?
Book memorable holidays on TravelTriangle with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.