Summer vacations are a wonderful time to bond with your family. But it can get a little crowded with almost every family rushing off to the same holiday spots. This year forget the regular Shimlas and Darjeelings for something different.
Choose offbeat destinations for your next trip during your summer vacations and explore the unexplored terrains. The underrated beauty of the unexplored destinations will make you want to skip these regular destinations every time you think of a trip. So here’s a summary of the most beautiful offbeat summer vacation destinations for families in India.
18 Offbeat Summer Vacation Destinations For Families In India
India’s geographical and cultural diversity is blessing. You have a variety of places to visit during every season. These places are not limited to the regular tourist destinations; you can visit offbeat destinations. Check out these absolutely refreshing offbeat summer vacation ideas for families 2021:
- Bhandardara, Maharashtra
- Coonoor, Tamil Nadu
- Khajjiar, Himachal Pradesh
- Hemis National Park, Jammu & Kashmir
- Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh
- Pelling, Sikkim
- Naukuchiatal, Uttarakhand
- Harsil, Uttarakhand
- Chopta, Uttarakhand
- Tirthan Valley, Himachal Pradesh
- Vagamon, Kerala
- Port Blair, Andaman Island
- Pachmari, Madhya Pradesh
- McLeod Ganj, Himachal Pradesh
- Cherrapunji, Meghalaya
- Ziro, Arunachal Pradesh
- Theog, Shimla
- Meghamalai, Tamil Nadu
1. Bhandardara, Maharashtra – Lush Greenery
A charming hill station near Mumbai, located on the banks of River Pravara and nestled on the Sahayadri mountain ranges, Bhandardara is a perfect spot for a summer getaway for families in India. Just 185-km-drive from the city of Mumbai, the hill station let you enjoy a perfect weekend of a break away from the bustling city. The waterfalls, long walks through the lush green fields, and scenic views make it a wonderful weekend destination.
- Enjoy a picnic beside Umbrella Falls and Randha Fall.
- Watch the gorgeous view from Mount Kalsubai, the highest peak of Sahyadri region.
- Spend your morning angling and boating on the Arthur Lake.
- Explore the 200 year old Ratnagad Fort and Harishchandragad Fort.
2. Coonoor, Tamil Nadu – Southern Hills
This is one of the best places to visit in summer with family. Surrounded by mist-clad Nilgiri hills and bright green tea estates, Coonoor is a charming and quiet hill station with many delightful landmarks. Only 18 km away from Ooty, Coonoor is located about 6,000 ft above sea level and known for a wide range of wildflowers that are found almost every corner of the hill station. Coonoor is a perfect place for summer family vacations.
- Visit the beautiful Sim’s Park which has over 1000 varieties of plants.
- Watch the tea-making process at Highfield Tea Estate.
- Enjoy a picnic at Lamb’s Rock, which has an amazing view of the tea and coffee plantations.
- Make a visit to the enchanting Catherine Falls.
- Take the heritage train between Ooty and Coonoor.
Suggested Read: Sweat No More: The Best Places To Visit In India This Summer
3. Khajjiar, Himachal Pradesh – Nature And Adventure
A beautiful, sleepy town near Dalhousie, Khajjiar is famous for its hills, lakes, ethereal meadows and apple orchards in the nearby villages of Rota and Ladi. The ravines, the waterfalls, the extensive meadows, and gorgeous views of sunset and sunrise, all of this will make you fall in love with Khajjiar for sure. It is also among the best places to visit in India in summer with family.
- Enjoy Horse Riding and Zorbing along with your family.
- Play golf at the beautiful nine-hole golf course in the town.
- Watch the Bear, Himalayan Black Marten and Leopards at the Kalatop Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Spend a relaxed picnic next to the Khajjiar Lake and the Chamera Lake.
4. Hemis National Park, Jammu & Kashmir – Exotic Wildlife
If you fancy a fun filled adventurous escape from the city, Hemis National Park is an ideal getaway for you. Surrounded by snow capped ranges and alpine forests of juniper and birch, Hemis is a treat for the eyes during the summers, especially for a family vacation. Extended over 600 sq. km. the national park is named after the popular Hemis monastery.
- Watch the Asiatic ibex, Tibetan wolf, the Eurasian brown bear, red fox and the rare Snow leopard in the Hemis National Park.
- Enjoy the dragon dance, elaborate and bizarre costumes and brightly painted masks at the exciting Hemis Festival.
- Visit the 400-year-old Hemis Gompa, the biggest in the entire Leh.
Suggested Read: 10 Unbelievably Beautiful Places To Visit In Kashmir
5. Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh – Mystical Beauty
The scenic town of Tawang is a wonderful combination of breathtaking valleys, misty rivers and stunning waterfalls, all of which make for a memorable family trip. It is probably one of the best family vacation destinations in India in May for an adventurous trip. At an elevation of 10,000 ft above sea level, Tawang is also one of the most difficult places to reach. The town isn’t connected to public transport very well, so one should have their private vehicle.
- Visit the 400-year-old mesmerizing Tawang monastery.
- Enjoy a picnic or a swim at the lovely Bap Teng Kang waterfalls.
- Spend an afternoon next to the serene Pankang Teng Tso Lake.
- Visit the stunning Sela Pass and Paradise Lake.
- Families could also try rafting in the Brahmaputra river.
Suggested Read: 20 Must Visit Places When Travelling to the North East
Planning your holiday but confused about where to go? These travel stories help you find your best trip ever!
6. Pelling, Sikkim – Breathtaking Landscapes
Nestled beautifully in the grand Himalayas, Pelling is one of the nest summer vacation destinations for families in India. But nothing is as amazing as the jaw-dropping view of the Kanchenjunga Range at dawn that you must see with your loved ones.
- Visit the lush green Sewaro Rock Garden, Sangay Waterfalls and Kanchenjunga waterfalls
- Take a trip to the ruins of the 16th century capital of Sikkim, Rabadantse
- Visit the Buddhist monasteries of Pemayangtse, Sanga Choeling, Darap Eco Village, and Sing Shore Bridge, which is among the highest bridges in the world
7. Naukuchiatal, Uttarakhand – Serene Surroundings
Beautifully set in the lap of the magnificent Kumaon peaks and surrounded by lush green trees, Naukuchiatal is the prettiest location in this hilly terrain and perfect for a lovely family trip. If you’re looking for a weekend destination near Delhi while avoiding noisy crowd, you are going to love this little serene and scenic village in Nainital district. If all you need is a few summer vacation ideas for families in India, then this is the place you ought to visit on your holiday!
- Explore the nine-cornered Naukuchiatal Lake on a boat, kayak or yacht.
- Go paragliding and enjoy the picturesque view from the sky.
- Watch the exotic trans-himalayan migratory birds at the Bhimtal Lake and Sattal Lake.
- Learn angling or enjoy a picnic at the beautiful spot of Jungliagaon.
Suggested Read: 10 Best Things To Do In Nainital For An Amazing Holiday
8. Harsil, Uttarakhand – Post-card Location
Nestled amid Himalayas and dense pine and deodar forests, with River Bhagirathi gurgling across the area, Harsil is an offbeat spot for a peaceful summer vacation with your family in India. Harsil may not be a popular destination right now, but that’s what makes it peaceful and wild, if you like that. So, make sure you have a blast on one of the best summer vacation trips for families in India that this place offers!
- Visit the vibrant hamlet of Dharali and the enchanting Mukhwas Village.
- Go birdwatching at Sattal which is made of seven freshwater lakes.
- View the snow clad Himalayas from Gangotri.
- Visit the hot water springs at Gangnani.
9. Chopta, Uttarakhand – Stunning Valley
The scenic hamlet of Chopta offers splendid views of the beautiful Nanda Devi Mountain range and the enchanting Rhododendron blossoms making for an enchanting holiday spot. Chopta is basically an easy to moderate trek that welcomes you with grand and majestic views of the snow-covered mountain ranges.
- Enjoy a relaxed picnic in the beautiful meadows near Tungnath.
- Visit the Kanchula Korak Musk Deer Sanctuary.
- Enjoy the view of snow covered Kedar, Nandadevi, Chaukhamba and Trishul peaks from Chandrashila.
- Visit the serene Deori Tal and see the reflection of Chaukhamba peaks in the waters.
Suggested Read: 50 Best Hill Stations In India To Escape The City Heat
10. Tirthan Valley, Himachal Pradesh – Colourful Landscape
Set in the interior of the Great Himalayan National Park, Tirthan Valley is verdant green with alpine grooves and deciduous forest and offers some of the best locations for Trout fishing. If you’re planning a weekend trip to Himachal from Delhi or Chandigrah, Tirthan is probably the most amazing place you’ll see. Packed with young crowd and hippes, it is a vibrant place.
- Explore the tiny hamlets of Nagini, Ghushaini, Banjar and Shoja.
- Spend your day trout fishing in the waters of Tirthan River.
- Visit the beautiful Serloskar Lake surrounded by lush green oak trees.
- Indulge in adventure sports like rappelling, mountain climbing and kayaking.
Suggested Read: The Ultimate List of Adventure Holidays In India For Summer 2021
11. Vagamon, Kerala – Calm And Beautiful
Encircled by a string of three hills and offering a combination of meadows, forests and hills, Vagamon is a place of inexplicable beauty. If you’re tired of visiting the mountains of north India and want to witness the beauty of the Western Ghats, Vgamon is the place for you. It’s probably the best family vacation destinations in India in May.
- Go paragliding at Mundakayam Ghat to see the untamed beauty that Vagamon has to offer.
- Spend an afternoon at the refreshing Maramala Waterfalls and Vagamon Falls.
- Visit the enchanting Pine Hills for a long trek.
- Go boating or have a picnic at Ulipooni Wildlife Sanctuary.
12. Port Blair, Andaman Island
An island destinations are one of the best places to visit in summer in India with family. Port Blair in Andaman and Nicobar Islands is offbeat among families yet a popular holiday destination. The capital is blessed with abundance of natural beauty. There are a vareity if places to visit in Port Blair including the stunning beaches, shopping streets, and historical monuments from the British colonial period.
- Enjoy sea waking with your your family
- Explore Cellular Jail and watch light and sound show here
- Visit Samudrika Marine Museum
- Learn about the Indian tribes at Anthropological Museum
Suggested Read: Top 10 Summer Festivals In India You Must Plan Attending In 2021
13. Pachmari, Madhya Pradesh
Pachmari is one of the most beautiful and raw location in the country. Located in Madhya Pradesh, this is one of the best places to visit in India in summer with family. Thanks to its various waterfalls that create a soothing landscape. This mesmerising hill station is addressed as ‘Satpura ki Rani’. Pachmari is also rich in wildlife with leopards and Indian bisons being the major highlights.
- Visit all the waterfalls including Apsara Vihar, Silver Fall and the Bee Fall
- Go on a wildlife excursion at Satpura National Park
- Explore the ancient Pandav Caves
14. McLeod Ganj, Himachal Pradesh
McLeod Ganj is a charming suburb in Himachal Pradesh’s district of Kangra. This place is home to a large Tibetan population because of which it is also addressed as ‘Little Lhasa’. You would see a glimpse of Tibetan culture in this part of Himachal. The are several mansteries, lakes and waterfalls in McLeod Ganj. The mountainous landscape is also absolutely great for a summer vacation in India with family.
- Visit Bhagsunath Waterfall and enjoy bathing in the pool
- Relax at Tushita Meditation Centre
- Visit the famous Namgyal Monastery
Suggested Read: 10 Waterfalls In India You Need To Explore This Summer
15. Cherrapunji, Meghalaya
Cherrapunji is a nature’s paradise in the north-eastern state of India – Meghalaya. Its landscape is dominated bymountains, forests, and waterfalls. Cherrapunji used to receive highest amount of rainfall in India, before Mawsynram won this position. This is one of the best places to visit in summer in India with family. A major highlight of Cherapunji is the living root bridge.
- Visit the waterfalls including the Seven Sister Falls, NohKaiLikai Falls, Dainthlen Falls, Kynrem Falls
- Explore Arwah Cave
- Visit the Thangkharang Park
16. Ziro, Arunachal Pradesh
Ziro in Arunachal Pradesh is a place where you can seek peace. The place is a paradise with a balmy climate and a unique group of tribals that will put you in a trance and make you stay here forever. It is an old town in Arunachal Pradesh which is famous for rice fields, pine hills, and Apa Tani tribe. The place maintains a climate that is mild through the year and offers an amazing vacation and travel all year round. It is one of the most amazing offbeat summer destinations in India that will surely help you attain tranquility.
- Spend time in Apatani village
- Visit the Tarin Fish Farms
- Trekking in Talley Valley Wildlife Sanctuary
- Try the local cuisine
17. Theog, Shimla
Theog in Himachal Pradesh is one of the best offbeat summer destinations in India. If you are looking for a vacation that consists of magnificent views, hill stations and the lap of Himalayas where you can bask in nature’s might; this is one of the best places to visit in summer in India with your family. This is an offbeat destination which means there won’t be a crowd to rain on your vacation plans. Theog is a weekend getaway that is also one of the most favorable camping sites amongst travelers. Visit this amazing place which happens to be one of the many offbeat summer vacation destinations for families in India and explore its underrated beauty.
- Indulge in the local cuisine
- Exploring the villages
18. Meghamalai, Tamil Nadu
Located in the Western Ghats in Tamil Nadu, Megahamalai is one of the best places to visit in India during summers with your family. The place is often referred to as “High Wavy Mountains” due to its terrain. If you are planning summer vacation trips for families then this is the perfect getaway you can have for yourself. The lush green tea plantations, evergreen forests, aroma of cardamom, cinnamon, and pepper, and a large variety of flora and fauna will offer an opportunity to relax in the lap of nature and take a break from your urban lifestyle. Undoubtedly, this is one of the best places to visit during summer vacation with your family or all by yourself.
- Bird watching
- Stroll in the tea plantations
With so many hill stations, valleys and forest trails across the country, there is no end to where you next summer destination might be. Plan a trip to India for an amazing holiday experience with your loved ones and don’t forget to pack a few extra clothes in case you change your mind! There are many offbeat summer vacation destinations for families in India and we have listed some of them for your consideration. So visit these places and write back and share with us your family’s favourite travel destinations for an offbeat summer.
Disclaimer: TravelTriangle claims no credit for images featured on our blog site unless otherwise noted. All visual content is copyrighted to its respectful owners. We try to link back to original sources whenever possible. If you own the rights to any of the images, and do not wish them to appear on TravelTriangle, please contact us and they will be promptly removed. We believe in providing proper attribution to the original author, artist or photographer.
Frequently Asked Questions About Offbeat Summer Vacation Destinations For Families In India
A. We have listed down some of the best places for summer vacations in India and these are:
1. Nainital, Uttarakhand.
2. Ooty, Tamil Nadu.
3. Leh-Ladakh, Jammu and Kashmir.
4. Munnar, Kerala.
5. Darjeeling, West Bengal.
6. Ooty, Tamil Nadu.
7. Gangtok, North East
8. Srinagar, Kashmir, etc.
A. We have listed down some amazing places for you to beat the heat in summers and they are Manali, Shimla, Ladakh, Auli, Nainital, Ranikhet, Mount Abu.
A. Goa can be really hot and humid in the summers so it is advisable to skip it in the summer months. Also, various facilities are unavailable in Goa during the summers.
A. South India has some amazing places waiting for you to visit and these are Araku Valley, Gokarna, Ponmudi Hills, Pollachi, Vattakanal, etc.
A. Sikar remained the coldest place in the state, recording a minimum temperature of 1 degrees Celsius followed by Ganganagar and Churu district.
A. Well, both these places are simply amazing for a visit to the Southern part of India. If you are thinking about visiting South India on a budget then Kodaikanal is a great choice. Also, Kodaikanal is less famous than Ooty so you will find lesser tourists here.
A. Some of the best family holiday destinations in Summer in the world are:
3. Cape Town
4. New Zealand
A. Some of the best family holiday destinations in India are:
A. Here are some of the best things to do in Goa with family:
1. Visit Dudhsagar Falls
2. Ride on a banana boat
3. Enjoy a family resort stay
4. Take a river cruise
5. Go flea-market shopping
A. Here are some of the best things to do in Kerala with family:
1. Stay on a houseboat
2. Enjoy a wildlife safari at Thekkadi
3. Stay in a treehouse in Wayanad
4. Go Bamboo rafting on Periyar lake
5. Watch Kathakali performance
Looking To Book An International Holiday?
People Also Read: