Kolkata is a city with soul; in its every little coffee house squabble, haggling for the best ilish, delightful bites of sondesh or the exultant sindur khela in Durga Puja, the city celebrates life. No wonder it’s branded as the ‘city of joy’.
The pride and joy of every dweller of the city, Calcutta’s charm, easily grows on every outsider as well. They rightly say, you can take a Bengali out of Kolkata but you can never take Kolkata out of a Bengali’s heart!
Still wondering what’s so awesome about this city? Here’s your answer in 23 manifested points:
1. College Street – A Paradise For Readers!
They say, if you didn’t find a book in College Street (second largest secondhand book market in the world), that book probably have never existed.
2. National Library – A Home For Book Lovers!
I guess it was built to satiate our greedy lust for books!
3. Asia’s Largest Book Fair – Best Way To Start New Year!
4. A Mainland For Noble Laureates
Legends: C.V. Raman, Mother Teresa, Sir Ronald Ross, Rabindranath Tagore and Amartya Sen…!!
5. Satyajit Ray – The Pride Of Kolkata
Planning your holiday but confused about where to go? These travel stories help you find your best trip ever!
Real travel stories. Real stays. Handy tips to help you make the right choice.
6. Eden Garden – Witness Some Great Matches!
7. Calcutta Polo Club – Oldest In The World!
8. And, Can’t Miss Calcutta Football Club
9. Royal Calcutta Golf Club – First Golf Club Ever!
Wonder why no one here can stop talking about sports!
10. Howrah Bridge – The Lifeline Of The City!
11. Find A Place To Sit And Have Tea!
“Calcutta’s the only city I know where you are actively encouraged to stop strangers at random for a quick chat.”- Tahir Shah, author
12. Durga Puja – An Extravagant Affair!
13. Christmas At Park Street
14. The City Famous For Sweet Delicacies!
15. And The Crispy, Spicy Savoury!
16. Chinese Food At Chinatown
17. Presidency College Is The Action Place!
18. Discover The Open Band Culture!
Must Read: India’s Most Insane Music Festivals
19. City Where Glamour Took Birth!
20. The Botanical Garden – The World’s Largest
21. The Calcutta School Of Music – Abode Of Tunes And Notes!
22. Gariahat Market – Bargain Wholeheartedly!
Must Read: Top 11 Shopping Destinations in India
23. Lastly, An Afternoon Nap Is Must!
2PM to 4PM is sleepy time; Please don’t disturb!
Further Read: The Ultimate Weekend Getaway Bucket List From Kolkata
Looking To Book An International Holiday?
Book memorable holidays on TravelTriangle with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.