If the fantasy of traveling back in time and experiencing the grand royalty interests and intrigues you, then luxury trains in India might well exceed your expectations. Managed by Indian Railways and the IRCTC, there are a total of 7 luxury trains in India – namely Maharajas’ Express, Palace on Wheels, The Deccan Odyssey, Golden Chariot, Royal Rajasthan on Wheels, Royal Orient Train, and Fairy Queen Express.
These elite luxury trains of India cater to tourists who wish to explore the rich cultural heritage of India in the lap of luxury.Their grandeur is evident from mind-boggling interiors, majestic ambience, lavish gastronomical fare, stringent security arrangements and almost everything you can imagine.
Journeys in these trains offer matchless comfort onboard and allow travelers to explore some of the most popular tourist destinations of India. Take these luxury train tours in India to explore India in ways, not possible otherwise.
7 Best Luxury trains In India
While you’re looking for an exclusive luxury experience in India, these best trains will take you on a whole different level. Here is a list which has all the essential details like luxury trains in India fare and more! Don’t believe us? Scroll down to know more!
- Maharajas’ Express
- Royal Rajasthan On Wheels
- Palace On Wheels
- The Deccan Odyssey
- Golden Chariot
- Royal Orient Train
- Fairy Queen Express
1. Maharajas’ Express
Best among all Indian luxury trains, Maharajas’ Express is also one of the 5 most luxurious trains in the world. This half-a-mile long train boasts of professionals prepared to meet the highest quality of hospitality, fully stocked bars, lavish suites, butler services and what not!
Tourists on board get to experience the richness of the country in the most distinguished way possible. Just for the record, it was voted ‘World’s Leading Luxury Train’ for the years 2012, 2013 and 2014, consecutively.
- The Heritage of India (Mumbai – Ajanta – Udaipur – Jodhpur – Bikaner – Jaipur – Ranthambore – Agra – Delhi)
- Gems of India (Delhi – Agra – Ranthambore – Jaipur – Delhi)
- The Indian Panorama (Delhi – Jaipur – Ranthambore – Fatehpur – Sikri – Agra – Gwalior – Orchha – Khajuraho – Varanasi – Lucknow – Delhi)
- Indian Splendour (Delhi – Agra – Ranthambore – Jaipur – Bikaner – Jodhpur – Udaipur – Balasinor – Mumbai)
- Treasures of India (Delhi – Agra – Ranthambore – Jaipur – Delhi)
Maharajas’ Express is operational from October to April and plies on 5 different routes as mentioned above. The duration and ticket costs for these routes are as follows:
Gems of India & Treasures of India – 4-day journeys for INR 2,57,950 (approx) each
Indian Splendour & The Indian Panorama – 8 days journey for INR 4,00,660 (approx) each
Heritage of India – 8 days journey for INR 4,58,280 approx
Looking To Book A Holiday Package?
Book memorable holidays on TravelTriangle with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.
2. Royal Rajasthan On Wheels
Royal Rajasthan on Wheels is one of the most special luxury trains in India and is known for offering supreme quality of comfort and an everlasting traveling experience which a traveler can just imagine until he or she actually gets aboard. Having 14 luxury cabins modeled on erstwhile royal palaces, multi-cuisine restaurants, bars and spa services on board, this train lives up to its name and remains in great demand for luxury train journeys in India.
Route: Delhi – Jodhpur – Udaipur – Chittorgarh – Sawai Madhopur – Jaipur – Khajuraho – Varanasi – Agra – Delhi
Like most Indian luxury trains, Royal Rajasthan on Wheels is operational from October to March. Duration of the journey is 7 nights, 8 days. In each city that it stops, tours to city attractions and famous historical places in India are included. Here are the top tourist attractions you cover on your journey in Royal Rajasthan on Wheels.
- Jodhpur – Mehrangarh Fort, Jaswant Thada
- Udaipur – Forts, palaces, and hotels of Udaipur
- Chittorgarh – Vijay Stambha, Gaumukh Reservoir, Rana Kumbha Palace
- Sawai Madhopur – Ranthambhore Palace and Ranthambore National Park, Amareshwar Mahadeo Temple
- Jaipur – City Palace, Hawa Mahal
- Khajuraho – Khajuraho Temples and
- Varanasi – Ganga Ghats, Sarnath
- Agra – Taj Mahal
Starting fares per cabin on twin sharing basis:
For international travelers: US$9,450 + 4.5% Service tax
For Indian travelers: INR 5,67,000 + 4.5% Service tax
3. Palace On Wheels
‘Palace on Wheels’ is another in the list of luxury train ride in India that was refurbished and re-launched in 2009 to promote tourism. Luxurious cabins, exquisite wallpapers, well-stocked bar, gracious hospitality and local culture displayed by artistic use of paintings and handicrafts – it is very much like a palace on wheels that recreates the bygone era of kings and their royal palaces! No wonder why it was voted as 4th best luxurious train in the world.
If you are planning a luxurious trip to Rajasthan, this is the best bet!
Route: Delhi – Jaipur – Sawai Madhopur – Chittorgarh – Udaipur – Jaisalmer – Jodhpur – Bharatpur – Agra – Delhi
Months of operation for Palace on Wheels are from September to April. The 7 nights, 8 days journey includes 7 stoppages, where tourist are taken for city tours. Key attractions covered by this train are:
- Delhi – India Gate, Lotus Temple, Qutab Minar, Humayun’s Tomb
- Jaipur – Hawa Mahal, Amber Fort, Rajasthali, City Palace, Jantar Mantar
- Sawai Madhopur & Chittorgarh – Ranthambore National Park, Chittorgarh Fort
- Udaipur – Jag Niwas, Lake Pichhola
- Jaisalmer – Yellow Sandstone Fort, ancient mansions
- Jodhpur – Mehrangarh Fort, grand palaces, shopping tour in Jodhpur
- Bharatpur – Keoladeo Ghana National Park
- Agra – Fatehpur-Sikri, the Taj Mahal
For international travelers: US$3500 + 4.5% Service tax
For Indian travelers: INR 2,10,000 + 4.5% Service tax
4. The Deccan Odyssey
Inspired by the traveling style of the kings and rulers during different royal eras of ancient India, Deccan Odyssey is a 5-star hotel on wheels that takes you to some fascinating destinations of India. Royal treatment for passengers, palace-like interiors of the cabins, multi-cuisine restaurants, lounges, a conference car, an onboard spa and other state-of-the-art amenities make it one of the most luxurious trains in India and in the world as well.
- Maharashtra Splendor (Mumbai – Nasik – Ellora Cave – Ajanta Caves – Kolhapur – Goa – Ratnagiri – Mumbai)
- Indian Odyssey (Delhi – Sawai Madhopur – Agra – Jaipur – Udaipur – Vadodara – Ellora Caves – Mumbai)
- Hidden Treasures of Gujarat (Mumbai – Vadodara – Palitana – Sasan Gir – Somnath – Little Rann of Kutch – Modhera – Patan – Nashik – Mumbai)
- Indian Sojourn (Mumbai – Vadodara – Udaipur – Jodhpur – Agra – Sawai Madhopur – Jaipur – Delhi)
- Jewels of the Deccan (Mumbai – Bijapur – Aihole – Pattadakal – Hampi – Hyderabad – Ellora Caves – Ajanta Caves – Mumbai)
- Maharashtra Wild Trail (Mumbai – Aurangabad – Ramtek – Tadoba – Ajanta – Nashik – Mumbai)
The Deccan Odyssey operates from October to April and the duration for all 6 routes is 7 nights, 8 days.
For international travelers: US$5,810 + 4.5% Service tax
For Indian travelers: INR 3,71,900 + 4.5% Service tax
5. Golden Chariot
The Golden Chariot is one of the superb luxury trains in India that takes you to some of the most famous tourist places in South India. Launched in 2008, the Golden Chariot is well known for its impeccable hospitality. The train has AC chambers with royal interiors, bars, restaurants serving multi-variety cuisines, mini gym, ayurveda spa and other 5-star facilities.luxury trains
Regarded by tourists as one of the best luxury trains of India, it was also awarded as ‘Asia’s Leading Luxury Train’ in the year 2013.
- Pride of the South (Bangalore – Kabini – Mysore – Hassan – Hampi – Badami – Goa – Bangalore)
- Southern Splendour (Bangalore – Chennai – Mahabalipuram – Pondicherry – Thanjavur – Madurai – Thiruvananthapuram – Alleppey – Kochi – Bangalore)
The Golden Chariot runs from October to March, and duration for both the routes is 7 nights, 8 days.
Starting fares per cabin on twin sharing basis for Pride of the South:
For international travelers- US$8,260 + 4.5% Service tax
For Indian travelers- INR 3,08,000 + 4.5% Service tax
Starting fares per cabin on twin sharing basis for Southern Splendour:
For international travelers- US$9,130 + 4.5% Service tax
For Indian travelers- INR 3,50,000 + 4.5% Service tax
Planning your holiday but confused about where to go? These travel stories help you find your best trip ever!
Real travel stories. Real stays. Handy tips to help you make the right choice.
6. Royal Orient Train
Embark on a royal journey by the Royal Orient Train and enjoy a delightful experience of traveling to famous tourist destinations onboard one of the best luxury trains in India. Journey by this train is a combination of absolute chivalry and unimaginable opulence.
The palatial-style comfortable cabins, well-trained hospitality professionals, multi cuisine restaurant with the “Watering Hole” Bar, spacious baths, a library and almost all facilities that come to your mind while imagining yourself in a 5-star hotel – Royal Orient Train has them.
Route: Delhi – Chittorgarh/Udaipur -Junagarh/Veraval- Sasan Gir/Dilwara – Palitana- Sarkhej- Ahmedabad- Jaipur- Delhi
The Royal Orient Train runs all year round, and the duration is 7 nights, 8 days. City attractions one can see en route are:
- Delhi – Qutub Minar, Red Fort, Jama Masjid, India Gate
- Chittorgarh/Udaipur – Chittorgarh Fort, City Palace, boating in Lake Pichhola, Shilpgram and Royal Gardens
- Junagarh/Veraval – Ashokan Rock EDICT of 3rd Century BC, Darbar Hall Museum, Mausoleum of Nawab
- Mahabat Khanji, Somnath Temple on the shore of the Arabian Sea
- Sasan Gir National Park – Lion Sanctuary
- Dilwara – St. Paul’s church and Mandir Beach
- Palitana – Jain Temple atop Shatrunjaya Hills
- Ahmedabad – Gandhi Ashram, Calico Museum of Textiles, Sidi Aayyad’s Mosque
- Jaipur – Amar Fort and elephant ride, Hawa Mahal, City palace, Jantar Mantar (observatory)
Starting fares per cabin per person for one night on twin sharing basis from October-March:
For international travelers: US$200 + 4.5% Service tax
For Indian travelers: INR 7,480 + 4.5% Service tax
Starting fares per cabin per person for one night on twin sharing basis from April-September:
For international travelers: US$150 + 4.5% Service tax
For Indian travelers: NA
7. Fairy Queen Express
Last but not the least, the Fairy Queen Express is one of the oldest trains providing luxury train journeys in India. Powered by the oldest serving steam locomotive built in around 1855, Fairy Queen has its own charm as it rambles through to Alwar in Rajasthan. With a mention in the Guinness Book of World Records and a recipient of National Tourism Award, Fairy Queen easily makes it to the list of most luxurious trains in India.
Route: Delhi – Alwar – Sariska- Alwar – Delhi
Runs from October to March on 2nd and 4th Saturdays of the month. Duration of the journey is 1 night, 2 days. Attractions at its two stoppages – Sariska and Alwar – are:
- Sariska– Lake Palace, Sariska National Park
- Alwar– Alwar Museum
Starting fares for full package
(Two-way train journey + sightseeing / stay at Sariska for an adult)
INR 8,600 + Government taxes/Service taxes
Note: Routes, schedules, boarding and deboarding points, and tariffs for the luxury train tours in India mentioned in this article are subject to change in accordance with directives of Government of India with prior information.
So next time you plan to travel, make sure you take a journey in these luxury trains of India to know what’s so surreal about it. After all, experiences have best answers. So, go through this luxury trains in India list and plan a trip to India for an amazing luxurious experience in these trains and have the time of your life with the journeys stored herein!
Frequently Asked Questions About Luxury Trains In India
A. There are 7 luxury trains in India.
A. Maharaja’s Express is the cheapest luxury train in India.
A. Venice Simplon-Orient-Express is the most luxurious train in the world.
A. Japan has the best railway system.
A. 20th Century Limited and Trans-Siberian Express are the most famous train in the world.
A. Here is a list of some of the best trains in India:
1. Palace On Wheels
2. Maharaja Express
3. Deccan Odyssey
4. The Golden Chariot
5. Lifeline Express
6. Mahaparinirvan Express
7. Royal Rajasthan On Wheels
8. Thar Express
9. Maitree Express
10. Royal Orient Train
11. Red Ribbon Express
12. Fairy Express
A. The approximate price-range of various tours in Maharaja Express are:
1. The Indian Splendor (7 days/ 6 nights) – INR 4,24,400 – INR 16,82,000/per person
2. The Heritage Of India (7 days/ 6 nights) – INR 4,50,000 – INR 16,82,000/per person
3. The Indian Panorama (7 days/ 6 nights) – INR 4,24,400 – INR 16,82,000/per person
4. Treasures of India (4 days/ 3 nights) – INR 2,72,000 – INR 9,15,500/per person
A. New Delhi Bhopal Shatabdi Express is the fastest train in India, with a maximum speed of 150 km/h (93 mph).
A. Mettupalayam Ooty Nilgiri Passenger is the slowest train in India.
A. Below is the list of trains with longest train routes in India:
1. Vivek Express (4,273 kms) – Dibrugarh to Kanyakumari
2. Trivandrum (3,931 Kms) – Silchar Superfast Express
3. Himsagar Express (3,797 Kms) – Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Katra to Kanyakumari
4. Navyug Express (3,690 Kms) – Mangalore Central to Jammu Tawi
5. Ten Jammu Express (3,642 km) – Tirunelveli (Tamil Nadu) to Jammu
6. Amritsar Kochuveli Express (3,597 Kms) – Amritsar to Kochuveli (Trivandrum)
7. Humsafar Express (3,570 Kms) – Agartala to Bengaluru Cantonment
8. New Tinsukia Weekly SF Express (3611 Kms) – KSR Bengaluru to New Tinsukia Junction
9. Dehradun Kochuveli Superfast Express (3459 Kms) – Dehradun to Kochuveli (Trivandrum)
10. Raptisagar Express (3437 Kms) – Ernakulam (Kochi) to Barauni
Looking To Book An International Holiday?
Book memorable holidays on TravelTriangle with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.