Tucked in between Estonia and Lithuania, Latvia present a wonderful opportunity to explore the natural beauty along the Baltic Sea. Having become a destination preferred by tourists across the world, Latvia is specially known for its wonders that one can enjoy only during the winter season. Winter in Latvia is very different than any other destination primarily because of the pleasing landscape and vivid colors that winter brings with it. No matter whether you have always wanted to explore the snowclad pine forest or whether you have been keen to spend a day amidst snow while embracing the beauty of the surroundings, this trip covers all of that. Enriched with picturesque architecture, this country transforms you to the intriguing sphere of natural beauty, art and history.
Weather During Winter In Latvia
While the Atlantic contributes to Latvia’s weather to a significant extent, Latvia enjoys the reputation of having a pleasant weather throughout the year. Snowfall can be observed during the months in between December and March. With mild breeze from the Baltic Sea, Latvia is the perfect holiday destination that one can ask for during the months of Winter. The temperature can get as low as -5 degree celsius during this period. Occasional snowstorm can be observed as well in this season.
10 Best Things To Do In Winter In Latvia
The gorgeous land of Latvia has so many things to do in store, that there’s plenty for every kind of traveler! Don’t believe us? Scroll down to know what will be your favourite!
1. SaunaImage Source Latvia is much known for its bathhouse tradition which started its journey in the domain of 19th century. Ensuring a blissful experience, sauna provides one with the opportunity to enjoy the bath ritual that Latvia has been carrying with itself for long tether. Beyond washing the body, this ritual lets you free yourself from all the stress that mundane life brings with it. Involving different activities like change in temperature, soothing massage, natural scrubbing, these sauna sessions are something not to miss when you are visiting Latvia in winter.
Europe Holiday Packages On TravelTriangle
Explore the most beautiful places to visit in Europe, from Paris to the Venice canals and from the Greek islands to the Swiss alps. Book customized packages by expert agents on TravelTriangle. Inclusive of airport transfers, cab, resort, sightseeing and meals. Best holiday experience Guaranteed. Book Now
2. Contemporary Latvian RestaurantsImage Source We are sure that you want to eat healthy during your vacation to Latvia. And, that is why we recommend that you enjoy your meal at one of the contemporary Latvian restaurants which guarantee to save you from the cold. This is your opportunity not only to excite your taste buds but also to stay warm with the help of hearty meals that Latvia is known for. You should try dishes like Black Pudding, Stew made of Potato and Barley, and so on. You will find most of the restaurants to be using Rowan and Rye Bread both of which are rich in vitamins.
3. World Of HistoryImage Source Museums have been embraced by Latvians and they simply love it. Whether you have always wanted to visit a bread museum or whether you want to know the history of Latvia, you will be astonished to know that Latvia has more museums than you can actually cover during your visit. Apart from visiting prominent museums like Latvian National Museum of Art and Pauls Stradins Museum of the History of Medicine, you can explore museums that dedicate themselves to chocolate, car, firefighting, bread, milk and so on.
Suggested Read: 8 Day Trips From Monaco To Make The Most Out Of A Trip To Europe
4. Beer GardensImage Source Riga, the capital of Latvia, continues to impress the visitors with its historical buildings and lanes. If you are wondering what is new in that, let us tell you that Riga takes pride in having some of the best street cafes as well as beer gardens where you can soak in the sunshine while spending some time with your partner or friends. The postcard perfect christmas tree picture is guaranteed by the churches here.
5. Bobsleigh TrackImage Source Designed to be perfect for those looking for some adrenaline rush, the Bobsleigh track has been adorned with 16 curves that let you achieve a speed up to 125 km per hour. Being one of the best things to do in winter in Latvia Europe, this track brings in the scope for you to behold the picturesque Gauja River valley. You can also simply explore the track without running on it. Many consider the trip to Latvia to be incomplete without this thrilling ride.
6. Jurmala BeachImage Source Having been loved by generation after generation, the Jurmala Beach transports you to the land of fun. Embellishing itself with pine trees, the Jurmala resort lets you have an eclectic experience. Ideal for the stressed mind to relax, this resort also offers medicinal bath along with other rejuvenating spas. Organizing entertainment as well as cultural events throughout the year, this resort is the perfect place to enjoy winter weather in Latvia. Shall you have the desire to entertain yourself with music, you should visit the Dzintari Concert Hall which is known for its world class symphony, jazz acts and opera.
7. Ancient CastlesImage Source Taking you back to the medieval times, the ancient castles in Latvia are the must visit places when you are spending a vacation during the winter in Latvia. While the Bauska medieval castle lets you get familiar with plastering in sgraffito style, the Cesis medieval castle helps you to revisit the history of the Livonian Order. Built in 14th century, the Edole medieval castle exposes you to the aura of the ancient times. These castles are adept enough to astonish you with their medieval aura that has been preserved over years.
8. Fairytale ForestsImage Source The heart of Latvia lies in its forests which contribute to 45% of the entire land. If you have always been a true nature lover and would not want to miss the opportunity to spend some time amidst the greenery, the fairytale forests should be a significant part of your trip. Letting you explore the nature at it best, the leafy trails the Kemeri National Park are the perfect spot to spend some time in solitude.
9. Eccentric ExperiencesImage Source One of the most important Latvia winter tours and activities is the kooky experiences that many place in Latvia take pride in offering. Letting you satisfy your eccentric mind, these experiences can be pant-wetting as well. Experiences range from horror scenes to spy games and much more. If you want to experience the Soviet style punishment firsthand, you should be visiting the Karosta Prison. All of these will never seem fake and you will be utterly amazed to have this intense experience.
10. Scenic LandscapesImage Source Even though you can stay entertained and rejuvenated with different activities inside the city, you should consider exploring the sleepier zones of the country that let you experience the beautiful landscape. We recommend that you visit the Kuldiga which is known for being the widest waterfall in entire Europe. You will cherish the memory of seeing spectacular nature from here for rest of your life.
While some warn you not to go to Latvia during the Winter, we bet that you will regret if you don’t visit Latvia during the Winter at least once in your life. Besides seeing snowclad pine trees, you will be able to rejuvenate yourself with reinvigorating traditional sauna and much more. Fairytale forests, picturesque landscape and scrumptious food are what awaits for you in Latvia. Plan your trip to Europe for a unique experience with your loved ones and get the best of this paradise!
Frequently Asked Questions About Winter In Latvia
A. Latvia is situated in a temperate climate zone and therefore enjoys four seasons.Travelers visiting the destination during December to March might get to experience snowfall. Latvia is one of the best destinations to visit during Winters as the temperature can drop down to as low as -5 degrees celsius and it’s great to experience the same.
A. There are many things you can do in winter in Latvia. Your options are many and you just need to decide your pick. You can try Sauna if you want to relax and rejuvenate or go Cross-Country Skiing if you are feeling a bit adventurous. You can also visit the very beautifully decorated Christmas markets in Riga or try out a contemporary Latvian restaurant. If you want some intoxication then the Beer Gardens in Riga, Latvia’s capital are to the rescue and if you want to have utmost fun then Jurmala Beach is where you should be at.
A. If you wish to try the traditional Latvian delicacies then it majorly consists of agricultural products with meat. As Latvia is located on the eastern coast of Baltic Sea, fish is commonly consumed in the area. Potatoes, cabbage, onions, pork and eggs are other common ingredients found in Latvian dishes.
A. Yes, Latvia has Christmas markets which are primarily in Riga, Latvia’s capital and are very popular. Christmas in Latvia is a spectacle and Latvians celebrate the festival with pomp and gaiety. and are in a celebratory mood. You can simply end up being in a Christmas market following up the pleasant fragrance of Gingerbread and mulled wine.
A. Latvia is emerging as one of the most popular tourist destinations and the reasons are its marvelous landscapes and it’s sandy beaches. Also, Latvian capital, Riga is quite famous for its Art Nouveau architecture. The place is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the town is full of many such buildings which exemplify the same.