When life is running faster than you, an international honeymoon might not seem doable just after the wedding. But that doesn’t mean you cannot manage an escape that you desperately need after getting hitched. Put your dream honeymoon on hold and start planning for a mini moon, which is a short romantic escape for the newlyweds before they take a longer holiday later.
The idea behind a mini moon
Best minimoon destinations are ones that are at a convenient distance, i.e. not more than 10 to 12 hours. They can be reached quickly and within a comfortable budget; at the same time, they offer the desired privacy, serenity, comfort, and activities for couples.
Mini-moon is a fairly new terminology in India, and quite relevant in the recent times. It is perfect for couples who are pressed for time, but desperately need a vacation together. This list of 12 best mini moon destinations in India from various metro cities can rub its shoulder with top honeymoon destinations in the world.
Minimoon destinations from Delhi
1. Rishikesh – A sacred hideout for lovers
Rishikesh has always been looked upon as a sacred Hindu city. However, with growing tourism it has emerged as a popular adventure destination and lately as one of the best mini moon destinations from Delhi. Today, Rishikesh hosts travelers from across the globe and captivates them with melodies of the turquoise stream of the Ganges and the romantic panorama formed by the Shivalik hills.
Distance from Delhi: 242 km (6 hours)
How to reach: The best way is to take a cab to Rishikesh from Delhi. If you are a pro at driving in the hills, you may as well drive to Rishikesh. Also, there are direct flights between Delhi and Dehradun. From Dehradun airport, it’s a 1 and half hour’s drive to Rishikesh.
Romantic things to do on your Rishikhesh mini moon:
- Dine at Rishikesh’s quaint cafes
- Enjoy the sunrise and sunset together
- Go for bungee jumping and river rafting in Rishikesh
- Indulge in Yoga and Ayurvedic therapies
- Trek the small and easy trails
Best places for a romantic stay in Rishikesh: Dewa Retreat – A Himalayan Boutique Hotel and Aloha on the Ganges are ideal places to stay in Rishikesh if you’re looking for luxury accommodation on your mini moon. For mid-budget, Hotel Akash Continental would be a nice choice for newlyweds.
Looking To Book A Holiday Package?
Book memorable holidays on TravelTriangle with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.
2. Landour – Colonial charm enveloped in breathtaking natural beauty
A secret hilly hideout, Landour is one of best mini moon destinations near Delhi. It is located near the cantonment area of the bustling town of Mussoorie. Sitting pretty with mesmerizing views, lovely stays, and landmarks that are reminiscent of the colonial charm, Landour is exactly what newlyweds need – a dreamy hamlet beautified with unperturbed nature, stunning waterfalls, lush vegetation, and lazy clouds skimming over the hilltops.
Distance from Delhi: 283 km (7 hours drive | 2 hours flight)
How to reach: Self drive or cab are best ways of reaching Landour from Delhi. You can enjoy the scenic panorama that unfolds along the route. If you’re coming from farther parts of the country, both railway station and airport are located in Dehradun, with direct connectivity from Delhi. From Dehradun to Landour, it’s a 1 and half hour drive.
Romantic things to do on a Landour mini moon:
- Visit the top attractions of Mussoorie during the day and head to the famous Mall Road by evening
- Explore Landour on a bicycle, enjoying the beautiful scenery enroute
- Savour the flavors in Char Dukan area
Romantic resorts in Landour: The 1840 colonial house, Rokeby Manor makes for an incredible stay, where wooden floors and stone walls, combined with the Himalayan create a romantic ambiance. Ashirwad Hotel & Spa is another option for budget-minded couples.
3. Mashobra – Snuggled in the Shimla Reserve Forest Sanctuary
Snuggled in Shimla Reserve Forest Sanctuary, Mashobra is just 40 minutes away from the main Shimla City, yet much greener and tranquil. You both can go out on short jungle treks or play around with the local kids. As the night approaching, lie down on fresh grass for stargazing.
Distance from Delhi: 353 km (7 hours drive)
How to reach: Mashobra is accessible via road from Delhi. If you’re considering self drive, please note the route consists of hilly regions with even narrow roads. Other way to reach Mashobra is by toy train. Board a train from Delhi to Kalka, and get on the Toy Train (Kalka to Shimla). From Shimla Station, taxis are easily available to Mashobra.
Romantic things to do on your Mashobra mini moon:
- Stay in a camp and enjoy bonfire in the night
- Go for adevntures like paragliding, river rafting, and rock climbing
- Go for nature walks in the evening
- Shop, eat and enjoy the views at one of best places to visit in Shimla – the Mall Road, which is just 13 km away from Mashobra
Best honeymoon resorts in Mashobra: Club Mahindra and Mahasu House provide a luxuriant stay. For couples wanting to go camping, Mashobra Greens would be an ideal choice.
4. Udaipur – The City of Lakes, brimming with love
Called the Venice of the East, The Lake City Udaipur is one of the major honeymoon destinations of India. Just a night’s drive away, it is also among the preferred mini moon destinations for the Delhiites. Plan a quick mini moon in Udaipur to see lakes shimmering in the sun light merging with palaces defining grandeur and creating a haven for the lovebirds.
Distance from Delhi: 663 km (11 hours drive | 1 hour flight)
How to reach: If you wish to drive or take a cab from Delhi to Udaipur, it will be about 11-hour long drive. Stopover in Jaipur for some time and take a break visiting the top attractions of Jaipur like Hawa Mahal. Flights might be quicker, but the journey won’t be as enjoyable as a drive.
Romantic things to do on a mini honeymoon in Udaipur:
- Take a romantic boat ride in Lake Pichola
- Enjoy a dinner at Ambrai Ghat with your sweetheart
- Visit the popular tourist attractions of Udaipur like City Palace and Monsoon Palace
- Attend the Mewar Light & Sound show
Best places to stay in Udaipur for couples: Rajasthan is renowned for its opulent heritage hotels reflecting a melodious blend of antiquity and modernity. If you’re not on a budget, stay in luxurious heritage properties like Taj Lake Palace, and Oberoi Udaivilas. Justa Udaipur is a good option for couples wanting mid-budget resorts and hotels in Udaipur.
Planning your holiday but confused about where to go? These travel stories help you find your best trip ever!
Real travel stories. Real stays. Handy tips to help you make the right choice.
Minimoon destinations from Mumbai
5. Kashid – A beach hideout playing the serenade
The fact that Kashid is scenic, and least crowded make it one among the best mini moon destinations near Mumbai. It redefines beach escape for Mumbai dwellers with miles of crystal clear coastline. Grab your flip-flops and walk hand-in-hand on the golden sand being teased by the waves. Find your own little sandy corner, talk about life and love, and behold the sunset unfurling tangerine tinge into the sky.
Distance from Mumbai: 126 km (4 hours drive)
How to reach: Self drive or cab ride from Mumbai to Kashid is picturesque. The route takes you through cityscapes, hills, and coastlines.
Romantic things to do on a Kashid minimoon:
- Take a romantic stroll on the beach
- Try watersports like jet skiing and parasailing
- Go dolphin spotting; it is possible in November, December and January
- Take a safari ride in Phansad Wildlife Sanctuary – a major attraction in Kashid for the wildlife-enthusiasts
Best places to stay in Kashid for honeymooners: Prakruti Resorts consists of luxurious villa, just 12 km away from Phansad Wildlife Sanctuary. Nisarg Farm House / Beach Resort is the best choice to make for a mid-budget stay.
6. Bhandardara – Hilly escape for the lovebirds
Since Bhandardara is among the offbeat weekend destinations from Mumbai, it’s certainly one of the most romantic mini moon destinations around. From lakes & waterfalls to historic forts – the hill station has everything to allure just-married couples.
The highest peak of Maharashtra, Kalsubai is located in Bhandardara. Picture reaching this height with the one you love to steal a glance of the Western Ghats from atop.
Distance from Mumbai: 164 km (4 hours drive)
How to reach: From Mumbai to Bhandardara is a short drive. You can opt to either drive yourself to this place, or get yourself a cab.
Romantic things to do on your mini moon in Bhandardara:
- Camp with the fireflies in Purushwadi
- Trek to Ratangad Fort and marvel at the erstwhile gem
- Hike to Kalsubai peak for picturesque views
- Enjoy a simple lunch by the Umbrella Falls
- Spend some romantic moments by the Arthur Lake
Romantic places to stay in Bhandardara: Anandvan Resort is nice place to stay in Bhandardara. This is mid-budget property, counted among the best.
7. Satara – Prettified with colorful flowers
Casting spells with its very own Valley of Flowers known as Kaas, Satara is quite a star in this list of best mini moon destinations near Mumbai. More than 800 species of flowers are in full bloom in the months of September and October. And walking the trail amidst the flowery field leads to a serene lake.
Satara is not the place to do something thrilling, ’cause even a quick stop in a tappri for a cup of tea finds a way into memoirs, thanks to the bewitching panorama.
Distance from Mumbai: 256 km (5 hours drive)
How to reach: Cab or driving yourself is the best way to reach Satara. Stopover in Food Mall Pune for refreshments, and then continue your journey to Satara.
Highlights of a mini moon in Satara:
- Visit Kaas Plateau – the flower field when it is in full bloom
- Thoseghar Waterfall is a charmer; water gushing down from cliff make a draws a dramatic backdrop
- Before the sun sets, climb up to Sajjangad Fort and hold your breath for a view that hypnotizes. Clouds hovering over the hillocks will make you feel on top of the world.
Best places to stay in Satara for couples: Hotel Maharaja Regency and Nivant Hill Resort are mid-budget hotels and our recommended stays for Satara. There aren’t any five star properties here for now.
We strongly recommend advance booking when you’re visiting in September/October. This is the best time to visit Satara due to the blooming seasons of flowers in Kaas.
Suggested Read: 10 Romantic Road Trips In India To Embark On With Your Love
Minimoon destinations from Bangalore
8. Bandipur – Romance in the wilderness
Bandipur is known for its national park, but does it have all it takes to be in this list of best mini moon destinations? Yes! True romance is found in dense wilderness of Bandipur and the luxurious stays suitable for a relaxed minimoon near Bangalore.
Distance from Bangalore: 230 km (5 hours drive)
How to reach: Road journey is the best way to reach Bandipur from Bangalore. The nearest airport from Bandipur is Mysore Railway Station, at a distance of 80 km. You can get a taxi from the station to reach Bandipur.
Romantic things to do in Bandipur:
- Take the wildlife safari in Bandipur national park to spot Indian elephants, antelopes, and tigers
- Take bicycle tour to explore the nearby areas and their unspoiled beauty
- Enjoy a private alfresco dinner in your hotel
Best places to stay in Bandipur: The resorts in Bandipur are perfect for a romantic staycation. The Serai is for couples on a luxury honeymoon, while the Nestinn is recommended from budget options.
9. Coonoor – Alluring tea gardens and waterfalls
One of the best weekend getaways from Bangalore, Coonoor is popular for production of Nilgiri Tea. The locale is quieter than Ooty, and you can do the same activities here as you’d do in Ooty.
Upper Coonoor is the place where it’s cooler and you get to view miles of greenery on rolling hills. And when you need a little hustle-bustle, you have Coonoor central and Ooty close by (3 km and 20 km respectively).
Distance from Bangalore: 297 km (7 hours drive)
How to reach: The road route from Bangalore to Coorg is adorned with scenic landscapes. Coonoor has its own railway station, so you can also opt for train travel too.
Romantic experiences in Coonoor:
- Wander about onboard Nilgiri Mountain Railway, enjoying a beautiful journey
- Enjoy a romantic walk in Sim’s Park
- Coimbatore Plains flaunts its charm the most when viewed from Lamb’s Rock
- Visit Catherine Falls, Katary Falls, and/or Law’s Falls
- Take a day out for sightseeing covering the Doorg Fort, Ralliah Dam, Dolphin’s Nose, and the Tiger Hill Cemetary
Honeymoon resorts in Coonoor: The Gateway Hotel is a nice property for couples seeking luxurious stay. For a budget mini moon, go for MGM Hill Worth Resorts.
10. Gokarna – A more serene reflection of Goa
Gokarna is much like Goa but with lesser crowd and no jazz. The town is a sacred destination for the followers of Lord Shiva, but it has off late emerged as one of best mini moon destinations from Bangalore. Unspoiled and raw nature of Gokarna, with a generous sprinkling of greenery, and laid-back beach vibe are strong pulls to lure honeymoon couples from nearby towns.
Distance from Bangalore: 484 km (8 hours drive)
How to reach: The best way to reach Gokarna from Bangalore is by road. The train journey is 16 hours long and can be tiring too. Still, if you prefer railways, Kannur Express and Karwar Express are two trains that ply between both the cities.
Romantic things to do on a Gokarna minimoon:
- Indulge in the Ayurvedic therapies when in Gokarna
- When the dusk begins to set, head out to Om Beach to laze around and enjoy sunset views
- Hike from Om beach to Kudle beach to enjoy scenic vistas on the way
- Try water sports like parasailing, snorkeling, and kayaking
- Go fishing together
Romantic stays in Gokarna: SwaSwara is a luxury resort recommended for a comfy stay. Gokarna International Beach Resorts is a mid-budget accommodation, rated among the best. Also, a stay in the beach huts at Kudle Beach is also a unique experience in Gokarna.
Minimoon destinations in Northeast India
11. Mawlynnong – The cleanest village in Asia
Mawlynnong has been awarded the title of Cleanest Village in Asia. But this beautiful village in Meghalaya has many more reasons to feature in this list of best minimoon destinations in India.
Mawlynnong is one of more serene villages in country, where surrounding greenery calms the soul and warm hospitality of the locals adds to the overall experience of the stay. Fresh organic food is a cherry on the cake. But the biggest attraction of Mawlynnong are the Living Root Bridges – a nature’s marvel that’ll leave you speechless.
How to reach: The nearest airport from Mawlynnong is located in Shillong, just 78 km away. The airport is directly connected to Kolkata. Getting a bus or cab from the airport also is easy. Nearest railway station from Mawlynnong is located in Guwahati at a distance of 172 km. From here you can get a bus or taxi to reach the village.
Attractions of a Mawlynnong minimoon:
- Take a tour to the Living Root Bridges – a nature-and-man-made wonder
- Get the bird-eye-view of India and Bangladesh up from Sky View
- Romance to the stunning views of the milky Mawlynnong Waterfall
- Take a morning walk in the village to enjoy the fresh morning breeze
- Take an evening walk to meet the locals and discover their way of life
Best places to stay in Mawlynnong: Only homestays and guest houses like Ila Jong Homestay and Sahpyngngad Homestay are available. They might not have luxurious amenities, but will host you with remarkable hospitality.
12. Pelling – Monasteries, historic ruins, and surreal scenery
Located on the West of Sikkim, Pelling fits the bill of favorite mini moon destinations mainly because it pleases everyone from adventure-enthusiasts to laid-back couples. Couples can spend hours looking at the majestic Kanchenjunga Peak from their hotel’s balcony, whiling holding their love close and sipping a hot cup of tea.
Historical ruins, monasteries, waterfalls, and lakes are some of the attractions for honeymooners in Pelling.
How to reach: Nearest airport from Pelling is located in Darjeeling. It is at a distance of 160 km and connected to cities like Delhi and Mumbai. You can hire your own cab from the airport to reach Pelling. New Jalpaiguri Station is the nearest railway station from Pelling located 152 km away. Taxis are easily available outside the station.
Attractions of a Pelling minimoon:
- Head to Kanchenjunga National Park to witness the best of wildlife in the region
- Visit the peaceful monasteries, including Sangachoeling & Pemayangtse, and Rabdentse Ruins – a popular one among the top places to visit in Pelling
- Take a morning walk to the Khecheopalri Lake
- Visit Kanchenjunga, Changey, and Rimbi waterfalls
- Walk on the Singshore Bridge and enjoy the spectacular views
Romantic places to stay in Pelling: Chumbi Mountain Retreat & Spa is one of the best places to stay in Pelling for luxury seekers.
So while your grand honeymoon awaits, heading off to these top mini moon destinations would be the perfect plan!
Looking To Book An International Holiday?
Book memorable holidays on TravelTriangle with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.