Darjeeling is an amazing city which is situated in India’s West Bengal. Darjeeling is the foothills of Himalayan and it is one of the most loved hill stations in India. Mesmerising sunrise, wonderful hills, warm welcoming smile of the local people, jaw-dropping locales, beautiful tea gardens on the slope of rolling hills, and traditional Tibetan cuisine are some of the best things about Darjeeling. It is a place which is a combination of both modern and colonial charm. The best thing about traveling to Darjeeling is that you can explore lots of hill stations near to it, that’s why Darjeeling is known as “Queen of Hills”. Here is the list of 11 amazing hill stations near Darjeeling.
11 Most Beautiful Hill Stations Near Darjeeling
The following are the most popular hill stations near Darjeeling, known for offering an awesome vacation in 2020:
- Kurseong –For A Memorable trip
- Tinchuley– A Worth-watching Beauty of Nature
- Kalimpong– Plan For A Peaceful Trip
- Mirik– Get A Glimpse Of Kangchenjunga
- Gangtok– Get A Breathtaking View
- Sandakphu– An Amazing Views Of Four Sky-high Peaks
- Siliguri– The Gateway To Northeast India
- Durpin Dara Hills– The Snow-Clad Himalayan Ranges
- Namchi– Beautiful Forests And Hills
- Pelling– The Second Biggest Tourist Destination
- Lachen– A Splendid tourist spot
1. Kurseong – For A Memorable Trip
Kurseong is considered as the “Land of White Orchids”. It is famous for its temples, Buddhist gompas, waterfalls, and the beautiful views that the place provides. You can enjoy the pleasant weather in most of the days in a year. During the monsoon, Kurseong will be more beautiful because of the continuous rains.
Best time to visit: March to June or September to December
- Eagle’s Craig (scenic spot in Kurseong which gives you the panoramic view of the surrounding hills and plains from an observation tower)
- Ambotia Shiva temple (a best devotional place with marvelous architecture)
- Tea gardens (taste as well as smell the fresh tea)
How to reach: Kurseong is 50 km from Darjeeling and you will get lots of bus, taxi, and jeeps to reach Kurseong
Places to stay: Sunnyside Eco Homestay, Dreamhome Stay, Allita Hotel & Resorts
2. Tinchuley – A Worth-Watching Beauty Of Nature
Tinchuley is an amazing hill station which is located at the border of West Bengal – Sikkim border. If you are looking for something spiritual out of your travel then Tinchuley is the best option for you. Tinchuley derives from the words “tin” “Chula” which means three ovens, its because of it’s trio of hills.
Best time to visit: October to April
- Tea plantation (you can take a lot of beautiful photos)
- Fresh fruits orchards (can taste the originality of the fruit directly from the tree)
How to reach: It is just 32 km from Darjeeling and all the transport facilities are available to reach Tinchuley)
3. Kalimpong – Plan For A Peaceful Trip
Kalimpong is a hill station near Darjeeling which is known for its beautiful flower market and it is overlooking the Teesta river. It is a misty land with higher peaks and snow-clad mountains. The climate and the beautiful Churches (a reminder of the British era) make this place alluring.
Best time to visit: March to May or else September to November
- Fishing at Teesta river
- Hiking at Kasol – Kheerganga trek
- Bird watching and Wild animal watching (For trekking and watching animals like Himalayan black bear & black deer)
How to reach: Its 55 km from Darjeeling and you can take a bus or cab (via Peshoke road) to reach Kalimpong
Places to stay: Sinclairs Retreat, PaliGhar Farmstay, Summit Barsana Resort and Spa
4. Mirik – Get A Glimpse Of Kangchenjunga
This is the best place for the visitors to take a walk and catch a glimpse of the mountain Kangchenjunga. The place will not be crowded so it is the best place to have a good trip and relaxation. Natural beauty, easy accessibility, and climate are considered as the best things of Mirik.
Best time to visit: March to April or else October to November
- Horse riding over the footbridge
- Boating at Sumendu lake
How to reach: You can reach by bus which regularly runs from Darjeeling and its just 60 kms from Darjeeling
Places to stay: Lake View Villa, Hotel Blue Lagoon, Hotel Payal
5. Gangtok – Get A Breathtaking View
Gangtok is one of the most stunning hill stations near Darjeeling and it is the capital of Sikkim. It is known for its proximity to Nathu La and Jelep La mountain passes. During the winter Gangtok will be covered in snow. It is located in the Eastern Himalayan Range.
Best time to visit: October to December
- Paragliding (most popular adventure sport in Gangtok and you can experience it)
- Yak Safari (You can ride a colorfully adorned yak, wearing woolen knits on their horns and bells over their neck)
How to reach: You can hire a state bus which is operated by Sikkim National Transport to reach Gangtok
Places to stay: LA Home, Munlom Nature Resort, Hilltop Rabong Resort
Suggested Read: 12 Scenic Tourist Places In Darjeeling In 2019
6. Sandakphu – An Amazing Views Of Four Sky-High Peaks
Sandakphu is the highest point of Singalila Ridge providing amazing views of four sky-high peaks (Everest, Kangchenjunga, Lhotse, and Makalu) in the world. Trekking routes in this area will be a bit difficult but worth it. On the route, you can find seasonal wildflower blooms.
Best time to visit: April to May and October to December
- Trekking (Trekking in the Sandakphu will give you a wonderful experience and memory)
- Spotting wildflowers (While trekking you can spot a lot of colorful wildflowers which will satisfy your mind)
How to reach: From Darjeeling to Sandakphu its 60 km and you can reach by jeeps, cabs and buses
7. Siliguri – The Gateway To Northeast India
Siliguri is situated on the banks of the river Mahananda; also known as the gateway to northeast India.. It is a hill station located between the Himalayan Foothills and the Doar region of West Bengal. It is a perfect place for holiday destination.
Best time to visit: Throughout the year
- Mahananda Weir Wildlife Sanctuary (You can witness many unique animals like barking deer, mountain goat, fishing cat, cheetall, tiger, etc)
- Salugara Monastery (Established by Tibetan Buddhist Monk and it is famous for 100 feet stupa)
How to reach: No direct buses are available to Siliguri. The Fastest and cheapest way to reach is hiring a taxi from Darjeeling
Places to stay: McNest Homestay, Rong Lee Homestay, Basundhara Premium Stay
8. Durpin Dara Hills – The Snow-Clad Himalayan Ranges
It offers you the panoramic view of the Kalimpong town, Teesta river, valleys and the snow-clad Himalayan ranges of West Sikkim. It has a golf course, Zang Dhok Palri Monastery, and world-famous botanical garden.
Best time to visit: March to May or else September to November
- Monastery (A hilltop monastery within the military area will give you the amazing feel)
- Cactus nursery (You can feel the amazing vibes over there and explore a lot)
How to reach: The best and cheapest way to reach there is getting a cab from Darjeeling
9. Namchi – Beautiful Forests And Hills
It is surrounded by beautiful forests and hills. The most notable thing about this place is two gigantic statues which facing off from opposite hills across Namchi. The spas and bars in this town will help you to relax as well as enjoy it.
Best time to visit: March to May
- Rock garden (You can reach by car or aerial tram and you can explore lots of unique flowers)
- Dechen Choling Monastery (You will get a chance to enjoy and experience the Buddhist ceremonies)
How to reach: You can get a private cab as well as a sharing cab to reach Namchi from Darjeeling
Places to stay: Juniper Residency Hotel, Homestay Shalom, Zikme hotel
10. Pelling – The Second Biggest Tourist Destination
Pelling is an amazing place in the west district of Sikkim and it is becoming the second biggest tourist destinations in Sikkim. Pelling has sites for mountain biking, rock climbing, meditations, etc. You can visit all the tourist spots of Sikkim from the Pelling.
Best time to visit: September to May
- Sangachoeling Monastery (Famous Buddhist pilgrimage)
- Darap (It is the name of a village which is near to Pelling. It is famous for its natural scenic and the climate)
How to reach: To reach Pelling you have to hire a cab from Darjeeling
Places to stay: Lobding Homestay, Pandim Heights, Monal Heritage Home
11. Lachen – A Splendid Tourist Spot
Located at the northern part of Sikkim, Lachen is known as one of the beautiful tourist attractions in Sikkim and famous for its monastery. The natural beauty and the serene beauty of Lachen are worth watching for the Buddhist pilgrims and the tourists from all around the world. Lachen as a tourist spot is considered as less populated and also popular for getaway to Tso Lhamu lakes and sacred Gurudongmar.
People who are interested in trekking , would love to plan a trek to Green Lake, Shinghba Rhododendron Sanctuary and Chopta Valley.
Best time to visit: October to June is considered as the best time to visit Lachen
Top Attraction: The places that people can plan to visit while on a trip to Lachen are Gurudongmar Lake, Lachung, Yamthang Valley, Cholamu Lake and Thangu Valley
How to Reach:
Air: The closest domestic airport is Bagdogra Airport which is nearly four and a half hours drive from Lachen. The tourists will have to book a taxi from the airport to reach Lachen.
Rail: Darjeeling Railway Station is the nearest railway station to Lachen and is connected to almost all the cities in Sikkim and the approximate distance is 171km from Lachen.
Road: Lachen is well connected through Sikkim State Road Transport Corporation and there are some private conveyances, connected to all major towns of Sikkim.
Places to stay: Delight The Fortuna Lachen, Delight Lachen Heritage, Rufina Blue Pine
Darjeeling is known for its mesmerising beauty and is one of the most loved hill stations in India. Plan a trip to Darjeeling within TravelTriangle and enjoy an itinerary designed exclusively according to your preferences. Don’t forget to visit the above-mentioned gorgeous hill stations near Darjeeling for the most enthralling vacay!
Disclaimer: TravelTriangle claims no credit for images featured on our blog site unless otherwise noted. All visual content is copyrighted to its respectful owners. We try to link back to original sources whenever possible. If you own rights to any of the images and do not wish them to appear on TravelTriangle, please contact us and they will be promptly removed. We believe in providing proper attribution to the original author, artist or photographer.
Frequently Asked Questions About Hill Stations Near Darjeeling
A. Snowfall is rare in Darjeeling and it will not happen every year but there is a chance of snowfall when the temperature comes to 2 degree Celsius.
A. The best time to visit Darjeeling is winter which is October to December.
A. Hand knitted items, handicrafts, and woolen clothes are some of the best things to buy in Darjeeling.
A. Naga Platter (which consists of rice, dried or fermented bamboo shoots served with the choice of chicken, pork or fish, ghee) is a typical dish in Darjeeling.
A. The majority of the people will speak Nepali and Bengali. Also, they can understand and reply in English.
Looking To Book A Holiday Package?
People Also Read: