Cover Image Credit: Pixabay.com
Has Australia been on your bucket list for years? You can consider visiting the country in the month of May for a memorable summer vacation. This is one of those months that the country has to offer its best. It is also a good reason to head to Australia to skip the harsh hot weather in your own land, as Australia in May is pleasantly warm and on the verge of turning cool. The country is admired for its culture as well as natural beauty. This travel guide will surely help you plan a hassle-free and amazing vacation in the country.
Weather In May
May in Australia is when autumn is coming to an end. The weather differs in different parts this month. While southern cities experience pleasant coolness, others like tropical and coastal regions are warm and dry. So, if you want to enjoy Australia in a cool climate, visit Melbourne, Hobart, Adelaide, Canberra, etc.
If you like a relatively warmer climate, head to Brisbane, Perth, Sydney. Sydney, Cairns, and Perth also get some rainfall during the month. If you prefer holidaying in dry and hot weather, Darwin, northern Queensland and other northern western cities in Australia are your places.
Reasons To Visit Australia In May
May is the time when Australia shows its most bright shades both in nature and manmade celebrations. Here is a list of popular events and festivals held in Australia in May.
1. Vivid Sydney Winter Festival: This is Australia’s biggest festival where music, lights and ideas come together in an extravagant celebration. In this winter festival the iconic structures of Sydney like the Sydney Opera House, Customs House and Taronga Zoo Sydney are draped in vibrant, eye-catching lights. The festival enthralls audiences with its smashing music performances, workshops, creative talks and conferences and more
Place- New South Wales, Sydney
Dates- 22 May – 13 June
2. Sydney Writers’ Festival: Be a part of Australia’s biggest festival for writers at Sydney Writers’ Festival. Get a chance to listen to literary giants speak, enjoy literary inspired performances and learn loads of stuff about the craft in more than 400 events at the festival. Reach Australia at the end of April to catch the full festival that starts from 27th April and goes on till 3rd of May
Where- New South Wales, Sydney
Dates- 27 April–03 May
3. Wide Open Space festival: An arts, music and cultural festival that you shouldn’t miss when visiting Australia in May. The Wide Open Space festival takes place over a period of 3 days and promises fun and frolic for all. Catch national and international artists give ravishing performances, indulge in various desert culture inspired programs, devour delicious treats, all while enjoying the stunning view of the MacDonnell Ranges at the Ross River Resort
Place- Ross River Resort, 80kms east of Alice Springs, Northern Territory
Dates- 1- 3rd May
4. Ningaloo Whaleshark Festival: This festival is held to celebrate the arrival of the humble giant mammals in the Ningaloo Reef off Exmouth. The sharks pay the region a yearly visit from March to August. The festival is held for around 3 days in May. There is live music, entertainment, gala dinners with delicious food, talent show, seaside cinema showcase, shopping at the local markets and lots more. It’s a great festival to attend especially if you have kids.
Place- 2 Truscott Cres, Exmouth WA 6707
Dates- mostly end of May
5 Places To Visit in Australia in May
May offers pleasant weather in Australia with colours of autumn evident in the land, sky and the air. Here are 5 places that will leave you with the best of memories of visiting the beautiful country in May.
Sydney deserves to be on your must visit list when in Australia in May. Visit Sydney Harbour to witness whales showing their best jumps and breaches out of the water against the stunning backdrop of Sidney Harbour and Sydney Opera House.
Also visit Wombeyan Caves that offer a relaxing trip with its many caves surrounded by soothing forests and alive wildlife.
Albany in Perth is the place you need to visit in May to enjoy vibrant coastal life. This southern escapade is home to beautiful coastlines, clear blue waters, wild whales easily spottable swimming in it. There are a host of activities you can enjoy in Albany including camping, swimming, hiking, diving, surfing, etc.
When in Perth, do take out time to visit The Pinnacles, which are just a short distance away from Perth. The iconic geological rock formations give off a wild desert vibe that is scary and breath-takingly beautiful at the same time.
Cairns in Queensland will see you have a blast of a time exploring its rainforest and swimming in its reef rich waters. Must visit places in Cairns are the Great Barrier Reef and Daintree Rainforest. Complete your trip to Cairns by visiting Kuranda, Port Douglas and Palm Cove not very far from the rainforest.
Suggested Read: 15 Scenic Trails For Hiking In Australia In 2021
Melbourne, the coastal capital in southern Australia, is a must visit place during the month of May. Explore the best of the capital by visiting Cathedral Range State Park and Phillip Island. Cathedral Range State Park is located in Little River Rd in Victoria and is spread in 3,577 hectares brimming with forests, camping spots and farmlands.
Philip Island will leave you awed with its combined wonders of nature views and wildlife. Here you can find all the animals, birds and creatures like kangaroos, emus, penguins and many more. In fact, the Island is most famous for its little penguins and holds parades of the friendly birds called as Penguin Parade during the evenings. There’s much more in store for the nature lover in Philip island National Parks with its conservation centers, caves, beaches, etc.
For seekers of some peaceful me time surrounded by alluring coastal life, Robe in Adelaide is the place to be during the beautiful month of May. It is a sleepy town located along the Limestone Coast of South Australia. Here is where you can get your senses immersed in the calming currents of the water, spectacular coastal views while enjoying delicious local cuisine.
Mount Crawford Forest is located on the northeast part of Adelaide nestled in the Northern ridge of the Mount Lofty Ranges. This place is a delight for campers. It has some of the best spots for camping and picnic. With its many charming eucalypt and pine trees, Mount Crawford Forest makes walking, cycling and horse-riding in the woods feel like a dream.
5 Things To Do In Australia In May
Listed below are some of the most amazing activities you can indulge yourself in for an amazing vacation in Australia during the month of May.
1. Take A Walk On The New South Wales Coastline
The spectacularly long, aprox 2,137 km, coastline of New South Wales is a sheer rejuvenating treat during May. While the month may not be the right time to swim in the beautiful beaches because of deadly jellyfishes and cool climate of the south, walking alongside it is an adventure in itself.
2. Explore The World Of Great Barrier Reef
The Great Barrier Reef in Ningaloo Reef is where the gentle whale sharks make their presence felt from March to August. You can have an experience of a lifetime by snorkeling and swimming with the giant fish.
3. Enjoy A Scenic Walk At The Blue Mountains
Located at the west of Sydney, the Blue Mountains are among Australia’s most beautiful destinations. The area is spread around 10,000 square kms and comprises of 7 national parks. During the month of May, when the climate is pleasantly cool, a walk in the region uplifts the soul. You can also enjoy Yulefest, a Christmas style event that takes place here in the month.
4. Go For Sightseeing
Sightseeing in Australia is mostly an indoor affair so it can be done all months of the year. Visit Darling Harbour with its many cinemas, museums, aquarium, art galleries, etc. Federation Square, Australian War Memorial, The National Gallery of Victoria, Queen Victoria Market, etc.
5. Witness Wildlife At Lords Safaris
The northern region of Australia is home to beautiful landscapes rich with wildlife and Aboriginal heritage. Take the Lords Safaris through Kakadu National Park exploring the wild beauty like never before.
We hope you found this guide about weather, places to see, and things to do in Australia in May helpful and will keep it handy when preparing your itinerary here. Your trip to Australia will be an experience worth undergoing if you indulge yourself totally in the culture of this country.
Frequently Asked Questions About Australia In May
A. Melbourne enjoys pleasant weather in May. The temperature is 17 degrees Celsius in May.
A. The highest temperature in May in Australia is 20 degree Celsius with some parts like Northern Queensland experiencing a hot temperature of 27 degree Celsius.