Irrespective of age, summers in India can easily take a toll on anyone which is why we’ve compiled this list of best places to visit in India in May to get the best out of your vacations. From Spiti in North to Kerala in South, travel to enticing and best tourist places to visit in May in India that can be best explored and enjoyed with affordable and economical India tour packages.
23 Places To Visit In May In India In 2019
Planning a trip to India in May? Here is the list of place you should visit on your trip to have an enticing one.
Keep scrolling down to know more
- Spiti: Known For Its Rugged Mountainscape!
- Bir Billing: Known For Paragliding In India!
- Kerala: Known For Its Backwaters!
- Mcleodganj: Known For Being Dalai Lama’s Home!
- Lansdowne: Known For A Serene Escape From Delhi!
- Kausani: Known For The View Of Famous Peaks!
- Chail: Known For A Serene Vacation!
- Tawang: Perfect For Adventure Seekers!
- Shillong: Known For Its Landscape!
- Mahabaleshwar: Famous For Its Raw Natural Beauty!
- Sandakphu: Perfect For Trekkers!
- Horsley Hills: Provides An Escape From City’s Humdrum!
- Kotagiri: Perfect For Slow Travelers!
- Dandeli: Known For Its Wildlife And Birdlife!
- Kadmat Island: Perfect For Honeymooners!
- Shimla: Perfect For Romantic Trip!
- Mount Abu: Perfect For A Fun Trip!
- Kashmir: Perfect For A Heavenly Trip!
- Manali: The Queen Of Hills!
- Tirthan Valley: The Soothing Landscapes!
- Kudremukh: To Woo Your Senses!
- Kinnaur: Revive Amidst The Best!
- Almora: The Beautiful Heritage Town!
1. Spiti: Known For Its Rugged Mountainscape
Translating literally into The Middle Land, Spiti is one of the top places to visit in India during May that should be topping your Indian travel bucket list too. Home to one of the oldest monasteries, rugged motorable roads and panoramic landscapes, Spiti is one place that is blessed with natural beauty in abundance.
Weather in May: Spiti faces extreme weather conditions in winters which is why summers are considered perfect. Average temperature ranges from 18°C to 25°C.
Major Attractions: Dhankar Gompa, Kye Monastery, Pin Valley National Park, Chandratal Lake, Lahaul Valley, Komick Village and Trilokinath Temple
Things To Do: Tour around Spiti Valley, enjoy your bike ride and camp at Chandratal, go trekking to Hampta Pass, enjoy river rafting in Spiti and Pin, admire the beauty of flora and fauna in Pin Valley National Park, trek to Dhankar Lake and more.
How To Reach:
- The Kullu or the Bhuntar airport is the nearest airport from Spiti from where you’ll have to hire a cab for next 245 kilometers.
- Shimla railway station is the nearest railway head.
- When it comes to traveling by road, Spiti can be best reached from Manali through Kunzum and Rohtang Pass which is about 196 kilometers away.
Looking To Book A Holiday Package?
Book memorable holidays on TravelTriangle with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.
2. Bir Billing: Known For Paragliding In India
A heaven for paragliders, Bir Billing is one of the most incredible places to visit in North India in May. Being totally high on adrenaline and 14 kilometers away from each other, Billing serves as the take-off spot whereas Bir serves as the landing spot and together, Bir Billing is an thrilling paragliding destination in India.
Weather in May: The weather in Bir Billing is the most suitable for exploring around the place in summers as the temperature ranges from 11°C to 25°C.
Major Attractions: Sherab Ling Monastery, Bir Tea Factory and Chokling Monastery
Things To Do: Enjoy paragliding in Bir Billing, go sightseeing around Bir, Billing and Barot, experience river crossing, rock climbing, rappelling and more.
How To Reach:
- One can reach Bir in about 45 minutes from the nearest Gaggal airport.
- Pathankot is the nearest railway head.
- One can reach Bir in 12 to 14 hours through a private bus from Delhi.
3. Kerala: Known For Its Backwaters
Boasting of an awesome coastline stretch of about 600 kilometers, this little piece of heaven called Kerala is not only one of the best tourist destinations for summer vacations but is also one of the best places to visit in India in May for honeymoon. A perfect blend of nature, mountains, backwaters and beaches lined with palm trees, a perfect Kerala holiday tour package offers everything you need for a perfect summer holiday.
Weather in May: Summers in Kerala is pleasantly mild due to the presence of coastal breeze and bustling backwater and the temperature ranges from 22°C to 35°C.
Major Attractions: Munnar, Periyar National Park, Thekkady, Fort Kochi, Kovalam beaches, Alleppey, Bekal Fort and many more.
Things To Do: Don’t miss out on a Kathakali dance performance, tour the tea estates, take a houseboat ride in the backwaters, learn some Kalaripayattu techniques and get an ayurvedic massage.
How To Reach:
- Kerala is connected very well by air through Thiruvananthapuram airport, Cochin airport and Kozhikode airport.
- You can travel to Kerala by train from anywhere in India and get down at any one of the 200 stations across God’s own country.
- One can also opt for traveling by road from neighboring south Indian states like that of Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh.
Suggested Read: 15 Sun-kissed Spots For Family Beach Vacations In India
4. Mcleodganj: Known For Being Dalai Lama’s Home
Taking the travelers one step closer to mother nature, Mcleodganj is one of the perfect places to visit in India in May with family, friends and even for solo trips. Settled in the foothills of Himalayas, Mcleodganj forms a rare combination of an adventurer’s paradise and a peaceful haven which makes it one of the best places to visit in May in India.
Weather in May: Summers in Mcleodganj is the best time to get out and explore this adventurous city with average temperature ranging from 22°C to 38°C.
Major Attractions: Namgyal Monastery, Tsuglagkhang, Bhagsu Nag temple, Bhagsu Falls, Tibetan Museum, Church of St. John, Triund and Dal Lake.
Things To Do: Go on a sightseeing tour of the city, enjoy boating in Dal Lake, go trekking, camping, and hiking on Triund, chill at Shiva Cafe and enjoy shopping in the local markets.
How To Reach:
- Gaggal Airport is the closest airport located about 18 kilometers from Mcleodganj.
- Pathankot Junction serves as the nearest railway head which is 90 kilometers away from Mcleodganj.
- From all major cities, one can easily reach Mcleodganj Bus Terminal by road.
Planning your holiday but confused about where to go? These travel stories help you find your best trip ever!
Real travel stories. Real stays. Handy tips to help you make the right choice.
5. Lansdowne: Known For A Serene Escape From Delhi
A hidden gem in the state of Uttarakhand, Lansdowne is the most surreal hill station of North India when it comes to the top places to visit in India in May. A tranquil abode of charm and peace, a trip to Lansdowne is sure to be an unforgettable one. Also, it is one of the famous places to visit in India during summer and is frequented by travelers a lot.
Weather in May: Find yourself amidst peaceful environs during summers in Lansdowne when the temperature ranges from 15°C to 30°C.
Major Attractions: Tip n Top, St. Mary’s Church, Tarkeshwar Mahadev Temple, War memorial, Darwan Singh Museum and Bhulla Lake.
Things To Do: Go camping, enjoy boating in Bhulla Lake, experience trekking to Snow Viewpoint, hike to Tip n Top, indulge in some nature walking throughout Lansdowne and visit Kalagarh Tiger Reserve.
How To Reach:
- Dehradun airport is the nearest airstrip which is 152 kilometers away.
- Kotdwar is the nearest railway station located at a distance of 41 kilometers from Lansdowne.
- By road, Lansdowne is just 6 hours away from New Delhi.
6. Kausani: Known For The View Of Famous Peaks
Kausani is also one of the best tourist places to visit in May in India of Uttarakhand which is perched at a height of about 1800 meters above the sea level. Offering panoramic views of Trisul and Nanda Devi Hills, witnessing a sunrise over the Himalayas is a must experience for everyone in Kausani.
Weather in May: Kausani enjoys a moderate temperature during summers and the average temperature lies between 9°C to 26°C.
Major Attractions: Rudradhari Falls & Caves, Gandhi Ashram, pear farms and tea estates in Kausani, Anasakti Ashram and Baijnath Temple.
Things To Do: Enjoy mystical sunrise at Nanda Devi, enjoy trekking to Adi Kailash and Bageshwar to Sunderdhunga, experience the best of bird watching and more.
How To Reach:
- Pantnagar is the nearest airport to Kausani which is 177 kilometers away.
- By train, Kathgodam is the closest railway station near Nainital which is 136 kilometers away.
- By road, Kausani is 401 kilometers away from Delhi and you can reach within 10 hours.
Suggested Read: 15 Airports In India That Make A Dreamy Halt For Every Traveler
7. Chail: Known For A Serene Vacation
Located 2250 meters above the sea level, Chail is a beautiful hill station which is often referred to as the summer capital. An overdose on hills and misty clouds, Chail also boasts of being home to the world’s highest cricket ground.
Weather in May: Chail enjoys a pleasant and mild summer with an average temperature of 15°C to 24°C.
Major Attractions: Palace hotel, Sidh Baba temple, Kali temple, Chail wildlife sanctuary and the Himalayan nature park.
Things To Do: Must experience living in a glass cottage, enjoy night camping in jungles of Chail, go horse riding in Kufri, go trekking, mountain biking and more.
How To Reach:
- By air, the Jabarhatti airport in Shimla is the nearest airport which is 72 kilometers away from Chail.
- Kalka railway station is the closest railway head located just 81 kilometers away.
- Located 360 kilometers away, the best way to reach Chail is by road from New Delhi via Karnal – Ambala – Zirakpur – Kalka – Kandaghat – Chail.
Suggested Read: 10 Lesser Heard Wonders Of India You Never Knew Existed
8. Tawang: Perfect For Adventure Seekers!
Much famed for being one of the most unusual hill stations in India, Tawang is where the adventure junkies find solace. Whether it’s trekking, hiking, skiing or nature walking, Tawang is one of the best tourist places to visit in May in India that has it all for you as a one stop destination.
Weather in May: Tawang enjoys a cool climate with an average temperature fluctuating from 3°C to 18°C.
Major Attractions: Tawang Monastery, Bap Teng Kang, Tawang War Memorial, Sela Pass, Gorichen Peak, Madhuri Lake and many more.
Things To Do: Skiing in Pankang Teng Tso Lake, go on a day tour to Bum La Pass, go bird watching at Bhajagang lake and much more.
How To Reach:
- Tezpur Airport in Assam is the nearest location which is 143 kilometers away from Tawang.
- Tezpur is also the nearest railway head to Tawang.
- One can also take reliable bus services from Tezpur and Bomdila.
9. Shillong: Known For Its Landscape
The capital city of Meghalaya is often denoted as the Scotland of the East due to the natural surprises that it has in store for all travelers alike. Filled with lush gardens, enticing hiking trails, hills, and waterfalls, Shillong is indeed a perfect summer vacation destination.
Weather in May: Owing to its altitude, Shillong enjoys a cool climate during summers as the average temperature rises from 15°C to 24°C.
Major Attractions: Elephant Falls, Mawlynnong, Umiam Lake, Shillong Peak, Don Bosco Museum, Lady Hydari Park, Mawsynram and more.
Things To Do: Explore the Elephant falls, trek to David Scott Trail, explore the Living Root Bridge at Mawlynnong, go caving at Krem Mawmluh, experience rock climbing, rappelling and zip lining at Barapani and much more.
How To Reach:
- Shillong Airport in Umroi is located just 40 kilometers from the city.
- Guwahati is the nearest railway station located about 104 kilometers away from Shillong.
- One can also reach Shillong via local buses.
Suggested Read: 15 Photogenic Valleys In India That Every Traveler Must Visit
10. Mahabaleshwar: Famous For Its Raw Natural Beauty
Majestically surrounded by magnificent views, Mahabaleshwar is beautifully bound by valleys and lush greenery on all sides. Known as the Queen of Hills of the central India, Mahabaleshwar is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Maharashtra.
Weather in May: Mahabaleshwar has a very enjoyable climate in summers during which the temperature lies between 20°C to 30°C.
Major Attractions: Mahabaleshwar Temple, Morarji Castle, Venna Lake, Pratapgad, Mapro Garden, Tapola, Lingamala Falls, Lodwick Point, Elephant’s Head Point and many more.
Things To Do: Witness majestic sunrise at Wilson Point, biking at Mahabaleshwar hill station, enjoy boating from Tapola to Bamnoli Island and enjoy rock climbing, horse riding trekking at Matheran.
How To Reach:
- The nearest airport is that of Pune located just 120 kilometers away.
- Wathar is the nearest railway station which is located only 60 kilometers away from Mahabaleshwar.
- One can also take local buses from Vashi, Dadar East or Sion and reach Mahabaleshwar in just 5 to 6 hours.
11. Sandakphu: Perfect For Trekkers
Much famed as the trekker’s paradise, Sandakphu is located at a height of 3636 meters in the north west region of Darjeeling. Being the highest peak in the entire Singalila mountain range, trekking to Sandakphu once can get you Himalayan memories of a lifetime.
Weather in May: Sandakphu enjoys a cool climate with a temperature range of 6°C to 12°C in summers.
Major Attractions: Varsey Rhododendron Sanctuary, Singalila mountain range, Mane Bhanjang, Chitrey, Tonglu and Tumling.
Things To Do: Trek from Manebhanjan to Sandakphu, stroll through Glenburn Tea Estate, go shopping at local Pashupati market and more.
How To Reach:
- You can reach Sandakphu from Manebhanjan in about 5 hours via a jeep or any other SUV.
- The climb is too steep and the distance of about 32 kilometers cannot be accessed at night.
Suggested Read: 10 Romantic Road Trips In India To Embark On With Your Love
12. Horsley Hills: Provides An Escape From City’s Humdrum
For those who want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the busy Bengaluru city and the neighboring places, Horsley Hills serves as a heavenly getaway located in the heart of Chittoor district of Andhra Pradesh. Promising a lovely summer in nature’s lap, Horsley Hills is also famous for adventure sports.
Weather in May: Horsley Hills enjoy moderate weather during summers and the temperature ranges from 20°C to 30°C.
Major Attractions: The View Point, Mallamma Temple, Gali Bandalu, Horsley Hills Zoo and Dumukurallu Waterfalls
Things To Do: Go on a scenic sightseeing tour, experience trekking, hiking, and rappelling at its best, shop for some beautiful tribal handicrafts of Chenchu tribes and more.
How To Reach:
- Located at a distance of 160 kilometers and 165 kilometers, Tirupati and Bengaluru are the nearest airports respectively.
- Madanapalle is the nearest railway head located just 43 kilometers away.
Suggested Read: 10 Ultimate Destinations For Boat And Cruise Vacations In India
13. Kotagiri: Perfect For Slow Travelers
Quiet and quaint, Kotagiri is the oldest of all hill stations in Nilgiris and is one of the perfect laid-back places to visit in South India in May for summers. Located at a distance of about 30 odd kilometers from Ooty, Kotagiri welcomes everyone to witness its natural greens that blends perfectly with the clear blue skies.
Weather in May: Kotagiri enjoys a cool climate during summers and average temperature lies between 20°C to 30°C.
Major Attractions: Kodanad View Point, Catherine Falls, Rangaswamy Peak and Pillar, Longwood Shola, Elk Falls and John Sullivan Memorial.
Things To Do: Go nature walking throughout Kotagiri, experience trekking and rock climbing at Kodanad, walk through the lush green tea plantations and much more.
How To Reach:
- Coimbatore airport is the nearest airport located about 100 kilometers away.
- You can take the Nilgiris Mountain railway from Mettupalayam and get down at Ooty.
- You can reach Kotagiri from Ooty through local buses within 1 hour.
14. Dandeli: Known For Its Wildlife And Birdlife
Located in the north-west region of Karnataka, Dandeli is home to the second largest wildlife sanctuary in India. Being a natural habitat for tigers, elephants, exotic snakes, black panthers and leopards, Dandeli also houses more than 300 species of birds making itself a perfect destination for nature lovers and one among the best places to visit in May in India with family.
Weather in May: Dandeli can be best explored during the summers when the average temperature is around 33°C.
Major Attractions: Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary, Kulgi Nature Camp, Kavala Caves and Shiroli Peak.
Things To Do: Indulge in the best of white water rafting, bird watching, jeep safari, mountain biking, canoeing and kayaking at Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary and more.
How To Reach:
- Belgaum is the nearest airport located at a distance of 90 kilometers.
- The nearest railway station is that of Alnavar which is 35 kilometers away from Dandeli.
- You can also take the local buses from Alnavar, Dharwad, Belgaum and Hubli to Dandeli.
15. Kadmat Island: Perfect For Honeymooners
Popularly recognized as the Cardamom Island, Kadmat is a beautiful coral island perfect for honeymooners and for watersports enthusiasts. Being a part of the Amindivi subgroup that belongs to the archipelago of Lakshadweep, Kadmat Island is one destination which should be on your summer vacation destination list without fail.
Weather in May: All of Lakshadweep Islands including Kadmat Island enjoy a tropical climate throughout the year and the average temperature is between 25°C to 35°C.
Major Attractions: Andrott Island, Mohiyudeen Mosque, Golden Jubilee Museum, and Kavaratti.
Things To Do: Visit the archaeological remains of Buddhist culture at Andrott, explore the traditional Minicoy sailboats at Golden Jubilee Museum, experience kayaking, diving and swimming in crystal clear waters of Kavaratti.
How To Reach:
- By air, fly to Agatti Aerodrome from Cochin International Airport in approximately 2 hours and then get your transfer via helicopter of speedboats from there.
- You can reach Kadmat Island through passenger ships from Kochi in about 15 to 20 hours.
Suggested Read: 20 Best Beaches In Andaman & Nicobar Islands
16. Shimla: Perfect For A Romantic Trip!
Famed as a paradise for honeymooners, Shimla will take your breath away as it is absolutely beautiful. Whether it’s the famous Tibetan market or Christ Church, this city will be the best place that you can explore in May. Head to the popular bakeries or try the scrumptious local delicacies, it’s all up on you. So, don’t wait and leave right away!
Major Attractions: Christ Church, Tibetan Market
How To Reach: You can easily book a volvo from Delhi and reach Shimla.
17. Mount Abu: Perfect For A Fun Trip!
Famed as the only hill station in Rajasthan, Mount Abu is an enchanting city for all those who want to beat the heat while they are exploring the land of kings. Head to Mount Abu Wildlife Sanctuary and spot different species of animals or visit the famous Dilwara temples, both spots will make your trip an enticing one.
Major Attractions: Guru Shikhar, Jain temples
18. Kashmir: Perfect For A Heavenly Trip!
The impeccably beautiful spot for all those who want to experience heaven on Earth, Kashmir will leave you in awe on your trip for sure. Having a tropical climate, Kashmir observes a pleasant climate in the month of May and there are many places to visit in May in India like Srinagar, Gulmarg, and Leh. Set out on an amazing journey to Kashmir and get ready to have the best trip of your life.
19. Manali: The Queen Of Hills!
If you haven’t been to Manali, you’re surely missing out on something! A magnificent landscape filled with snow, colourful flowers and a serene lush paradise of meadows all around. Just like most hill stations, you’ll also find markets here with trinkets, keychains and plenty of souvenirs. Don’t miss out on the skiing experience in Solang Valley here.
Weather in May: Manali enjoys a soothing weather all throughout the year and in May, the temperature ranges from 10 to 27 degree celsius.
Major Attractions: Manu Temple, Hidimba devi Temple and Manali Sanctuary
Things to do: Shop at the famous Mall road or simply take a walk amidst the scenic landscapes or visit the old Naggar Castle
How to reach:
- Bhuntar is the nearest airport, at a distance of 50 Kms from Manali.
- You can also board a bus from Shimla, Kullu, Dharamshala or Delhi.
20. Tirthan Valley: The Soothing Landscapes!
With so many scenic places around, Tirthan valley is one of the best tourist destinations that you can visit in May in India. You can try river crossing, trekking and trout fishing at this valley, amongst other things like taking serene nature walks. One of the major places like Great Himalayan National Park in this valley have a soothing wildlife experience awaiting.
Weather in May: The temperatures during the month of May vary from 8 to 16 degree celsius here.
Major Attractions: Great Himalayan National Park, Serloskar Lake, Jalori Pass, and Jibhi
Things to do: Trek through the Great Himalayan National Park or simply unwind at the waterfalls in this valley
How to reach:
- The closest airport is Bhuntar and is a mere two hours ride from the valley.
- You can also board a train to the nearest railhead of Kiratpur or Ambala and then take a bus or cab to reach the valley.
21. Kudremukh: To Woo Your Senses!
A panoramic hill range in the Chikmagalur district of Karnataka, Kudremukh is known for being a hub of biodiversity and offers splendid views of the grasslands and spectacular meadows. Famous for being a trekker’s paradise, this glorious peak sits proud in the lap of the surrounding hills and is a must visit if you wish to explore nature’s best gems.
Weather in May: Temperature ranges from 21 to 32 degree celsius in May in this region.
Major Attractions: Hanuman Gundi falls, Kalasa, Gangamoola, and Kudremukh Peak
Things to do: Trek through the Kudremukh peak or visit the evergreen Kudremukh National Park.
How to reach:
- The closest railhead is Mangalore railway station and you can rent a cab from here to reach Kudremukh.
22. Kinnaur: Revive Amidst The Best!
With Satluj, Spiti and Baspa flowing through the serene mountainscapes, Kinnaur has a mix of places to visit for all kinds of travelers. Having abode two cultures from different regions, Hinduism and Buddhism, this place is said to be the home of Lord Shiva, and is even linked to the Pandavas and their associated legends.
Weather in May: The temperature ranges between 8 to 30 degree celsius in Kinnaur during the month of May.
Major Attractions: Reckong Peo, Ribba, Sarahan and Nako
Things to do: Go for a soothing trek through the majestic views or visit the Narayan Nugani temple in Kalpa
How to reach:
- The nearest airport is Shimla, which is at a distance of 237 Km and you can take a cab or board a bus from there to reach Kinnaur.
- The closest railhead is Dehradun and you can hire a cab from there.
23. Almora: The Beautiful Heritage Town!
The stunning landscape of Himalayas is widely known for having multiple hill stations aboard. One of these hill stations include Almora which is shaped like a horse-shoe. You can find several pieces of handicrafts, and a variety of cuisines to treat your taste-buds in this place. Don’t forget to miss out on the wildlife here, especially near Koshi and Suyal rivers.
Weather in May: The average temperatures during May varies from 12 to 28 degree celsius.
Major Attractions: Jageshwar, Katarmal Sun Temple and Zero point
Things to do: Visit Kasar Devi temple and explore the charming view from Zero point
How to reach:
- The closest railway station is Kathgodam and you can hire a cab or board a bus from there to reach Almora.
- You can also rent a cab from the nearest airport of Pantnagar which is 125 Kms away from here.
With all the required information on your fingertips, these escapades are worth spending your summer at. And whenever you’re ready, book your trip to India with TravelTriangle so that you can spend your vacay in the right away!
Frequently Asked Questions About Places To Visit In India In May
A. Located in the heart of Kargil, the town of Dras happens to be the coolest place in India.
A. Kodaikanal, Ooty, Munnar, Yercaud, and Araku Valley are some of the best places to visit in South India in the month of May.
A. Hilly retreats like that of Bir Billing, Mcleodganj, Lansdowne, Kausani, Chail, and Tawang are some of the best places to visit in May in India for a short period of about three to four days.
A. Yes, Kerala is a good place to visit in May.