A trip to Kerala in October is nothing less than an exceptional extravaganza. Dotted with the lush green tea plantations, the place has a mixed aroma of flavored coffee, spices, and fresh breeze. Witness the mesmerizing beaches, waterfalls, hill stations while you relish the famous backwaters of Kerala. Try the exclusive South Indian cuisine and coconut waters as you explore the state. Here is a complete travel guide proffering you the gist of the places and plethora activities you may find here.
Table Of Content
- Best Time To Visit Kerala
- Reasons For Visiting Kerala In October
- Places To Visit In Kerala In October
- Things To Do In Kerala In October
- What To Wear
- How To Reach Kerala
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Time To Visit Kerala
The ideal time to visit Kerala is from October to April. As the weather here during this season is pleasant and soothing. Traditionally the period from October to February is the peak season to plan a visit to Kerala in October. However, the official date of commencement of the Kerala tourism is November 1st of every year.
Reasons For Visiting Kerala In October
Here are a few reasons that will lure you to visit in Kerala in October. Take a look and leave right away for a vacay!
- Weather: Monsoons in Kerala last till October and it is the perfect month to explore this gorgeous state. The weather here is cool and pleasant, which is a crucial factor for all kinds of travelers. In the month of October, Kerala looks mesmerizingly beautiful as everything turns greener. This is one of the prime reasons to visit this state in October.
- Things To Do: There are a plethora of things that you can try in October. If it rains outside you can try the various bananas and salted banana chips baked with love and quality. Breathe through the rich aromatic tea plantations and take back home some flavored spices. You can also try canoeing, skiing, and water surfing around. Kerala is notable for fresh and flavored chocolates. Don’t forget to shop and carry some chocolates back home.
- Backwaters: Alleppey in Kerala is famous for its backwaters and it attracts a lot of travelers. Backwaters of Alleppey can be explored by hiring a houseboat on which you can spend a night or two and travel in style. The houseboats offer delicious local food and picturesque view while they take you through the backwaters. You can also explore the backwaters on a motorboat or shikkara.
- Heavenly Views: The month of October paints aesthetic sceneries and captivating sunsets. The beaches and the shimmering sand look stunning drenched in the rain. The lush green hills and tea plantations look like they came straight out of a postcard. Beaches are dotted with coconut trees and relishing coconut water is one of the best things to do!
- Cascading Waterfalls: As the monsoon season starts the waterfalls in Kerala are overflowing with water and look ravishing. Athirapally and Vazhachal are the most beautiful waterfalls in Kerala and while visiting the state in October you must visit these riveting waterfalls. You can also visit other waterfalls like Meenmutty Waterfalls, Meenmutty Waterfalls, and Palaruvi Waterfalls.
- Ayurvedic Treatment: If you are wondering what can you do in Kerala while it’s raining outside, Ayurvedic treatments are the answer for you. From a relaxing massage with essentials oils to a yoga session, there is a lot to experience in Kerala in October.
- Discounts And Fewer Tourists: People avoid visiting Kerala in monsoons. If you visit Kerala in October then you will find less crowd and you will easily get a hotel at cheaper prices. For those of you who are on a budget, October is the best month for an escape to God’s own country.
Places To Visit In Kerala In October
Kerala houses a plethora of places for travelers to traverse and apprise themselves about its beauty, cultures, and beautiful fields. While relishing your Kerala holidays in October make sure you don’t miss these.
1. Munnar – The Tea Meadow
Munnar is an enchanting hill station adored by all age groups and is a favored destination by honeymooners. A perfect place for tea lovers as it has more than 80,0000 miles of tea plantations. Here one can find all sorts of teas, be it ayurvedic, herbal or simply masala. This beautiful green colored land also witnesses many travelers trekking, camping, and adventure seeking around.
Nearest Airport: Kochi Airport, at a mere distance of 143 km from the hill station.
Nearest Railway Station: Aluva Railway Station, which is 110 km away from Munnar.
Suggested Read: Kerala In November 2021: Places And Events Not To Be Missed Out
2. Alleppey- The Venice Of The East
Alleppey comes first under the list of best places to visit in Kerala. The city answers to the title ‘ Venice Of The East’. A great place to visit Kerala in October where one can experience the famous backwaters of Kerala. Alleppey maintains a number of ancient and rusty houseboats and some of them are now commercialized into luxurious 5-star hotels. While here one can try out different water sports and relish the paddy fields, coconut groves and quaint villages around.
Nearest Airport: Kochi Airport, which is 53 km away from the city.
Nearest Railway Station: Alleppey Railway Station; it is well within the city limits.
Planning your holiday but confused about where to go? These travel stories help you find your best trip ever!
3. Thekkady- A Serene Beauty
Thekkady is a natural bliss for those admiring old town exploring, plant species and green fields. The place houses a number of tourists delights and out of which most of them are forests, spice and coffee plantations. One can admire more than 265 species of birds inhabiting amidst the greenery. It is much visited place while traversing Kerala in October as the weather is charming and the place is home to more than 36 species of flora and fauna. When traversing Thekkady the travelers can relish the jungle patrol, safari, jungle camps, border hiking, and bamboo rafting.
Nearest Airport: Madurai Airport is just 136 km away.
Nearest Railway Station: Kottayam Railway Station is 114 km away.
Things To Do In Kerala In October
While in Kerala, make sure to try all these adventurous activities and cherish your stay. Keep scrolling down and read along to know more about all the enticing things that you can try in Kerala!
1. Trivandrum – Savor Banana Chips
Your visit to Kerala in October is incomplete without trying out the major fruit of the state, Banana. Kerala offers a variety of unparalleled sized bananas all procuring different shapes and tastes. While traversing Kerala make sure you try all the varieties of bananas grown in here. Not just the raw flavored but the reformed versions are famous and consumed by many. Try the crispy banana chips and fried chips (upperi), steamed and fried in batter. One can avail these from any local stores, all serve the crunchiest banana chips which go well with tea and coffee.
Suggested Read: 8 Heritage Places In Kerala To Make Your Trip Unforgettable
2. Periyar Lake – Bamboo Rafting
The most popular forest reserve of Kerala has much to provide than just wildlife sighting and a ferry ride on the lake. The Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary proffers a delighting experience of bamboo rafting over the amber-hued Periyar Lake, which is unquestionably one of the favored things by the travelers. The ride takes you through the sanctuary’s wilderness and provides you a fortune to have a personal encounter with Kerala’s flora and fauna. This place offers a fair chance to spot tigers and elephants at a close distance via the bamboo ride and the trek. Relish a lifetime experience at this beautiful lake as the temperature in Kerala in October is just perfect.
3. Kodanad – Bathe Elephants
Ever given a bath to an elephant? Well, the Kodanad Elephant Sanctuary is one place where you can seek this exceptional experience. 42 kilometers from Kochi, visit there for some exciting activities like elephant bath, elephant safari, and elephant feeding. The rates vary as per the time and activities involved. It is a delight to watch baby elephants playing around water and spraying water around. Don’t miss out on this fun activity while touring to Kerala in October.
Approximate Price: INR 350-1500/- per person
What To Wear
Kerala experiences rainfall on most of the days in October. If you are wondering what to wear in Kerala in October then we have got your covered. The afternoons can get humid after rains so you must carry light cotton clothes. Do carry your raincoat or umbrella. Wear shoes or slippers that have a firm grip. If you are planning to explore the temples then carry clothes that are decent and cover your body properly. If it rains all day the temperature may drop in the evening carry a thin stole or windcheater with you.
Here are few tips for all travelers that are planning to visit Kerala in the month of October.Take a look before you leave for your blissful vacation!
- Take a look at the weather prediction when you are planning for outdoor activity on your vacation.
- Do carry your raincoat or umbrella with you at all times
- Wear sports shoes so that you are comfortable and don’t slip
- Carry or buy a mosquito repellent while you are indoor or outdoor
- Carry your gadgets in a waterproof bag
How To Reach Kerala
By Air: The state houses three main airports situated at Thiruvananthapuram, Kochi, and Kozhikode. One can board both domestic as well as an international flight from here.
By Train: Kerala is connected to all the major cities in India via its railway network. There are 200 railway stations here that connect to places both within and outside the state.
By Bus: Kerala is connected to many national highways and the roads here are safe and clean. One can commute through buses, auto, taxis, cars, and trucks.
By Water: From Cochin, there are different routes to reach the Lakshadweep Islands. Even the famous backwaters of Kerala provide a major commuting source as the temperature in Kerala in October is just perfect.
Wander around these happening places and cherish aesthetics and capture Instagram worthy shots as the place is highly picturesque. So what are you waiting for? Plan your Kerala trip in October and don’t miss to include the above-listed things in your itinerary.
Disclaimer: TravelTriangle claims no credit for images featured on our blog site unless otherwise noted. All visual content is copyrighted to its respectful owners. We try to link back to original sources whenever possible. If you own rights to any of the images and do not wish them to appear on TravelTriangle, please contact us and they will be promptly removed. We believe in providing proper attribution to the original author, artist or photographer.
Frequently Asked Questions About Kerala In October
What clothes to wear in Kerala in October?
It is advisable to wear light cotton clothes in Kerala in October. Also, one should keep a jacket with themselves as the evening might get a little cooler.
Is October a good time to visit Munnar?
Yes, October is wintertime in Munnar and one of the best seasons to visit this place. It is comfortable cold during this time with occasional rains.
Does it rain during October/November in Kerala?
The rain storms become less frequent in Kerala in October/ November. The rains during these months keep the temperature bearable.
What is the weather like in Kerala in October?
The weather in Kerala in October is pleasant as it marks the ending of the monsoon season. The state receives rainfall in October that turns this destination into a more beautiful and the perfect spot for all nature lovers. The temperature in October reaches 27 degrees Celsius and at night it falls to 23 degrees celsius.
Which are the best places to visit in Alleppey?
There is no dearth of places to visit in Alleppey and some of the most famous ones that you must visit are Alappuzha Beach, Andhakaranazhi Beach, St. Mary Forane Church, Chettikulangara Temple, and Vembanad Lake.
How many days do you need in Kerala?
Kerala has a myriad of places that you can explore on your vacation. From gorgeous temples to ravishing waterfalls, Kerala has it all. You should plan a vacation for around 4 to 5 days and explore all the impeccable cities in this state.
Which are the best hotels in Munnar?
Munnar is home to a plethora of remarkable hotels where you can stay on your vacation. Some of the best ones are Blanket Hotel & Spa, The Panoramic Getaway, River Rock Homestay, Casa Montana, and Munnar Hotel Club NiNe.
How much does a Kerala trip cost?
The cost of your Kerala trip will depend on the number of days you are planning your trip. A 3 days and 2 nights trip will cost around INR 8,000 whereas 7 days and 6 nights trip will cost between INR 23,000 and INR 24,000.
Which are the best restaurants in Alleppey?
The most famous restaurants in Alleppey where you must dine at are Dreamers Restaurant, Cassia Restaurant, Hassans Family Restaurant, and Halais Restaurant.
Looking To Book An International Holiday?
People Also Read