There are no romantic retreats like those in South India. From tranquillity of forests, charm of sizzling beaches to chills of a hill station, honeymoon places in South India offer all you’d desire on that special trip.
For those not familiar with the southern geography, South Indian states include Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Telangana, Tamil Nadu and Kerala. And each one populated with beautiful beaches and hill stations, besides top class infrastructure and high class hospitality. Which means there is spoiling choice available for newly married couples and soon-to-be-married love birds.
For all the newly married couples and people who would be tying the knot soon, we bring the most awesome places to visit in South India for honeymoon. These romantic destinations will lure you in more than one way as you struggle for choosing the most gorgeous and romantic honeymoon place.
Beach & Backwater Honeymoon Destinations in South India
If you and your love are beach bums, here are the top honeymoon places in South India. All these destinations offer enchanting beauty of India’s most beautiful beaches and backwaters.
These places to visit In South India for couples are just perfect if you want to spend the first few best days of your life collecting sea shells and building sand castles with your beloved.
1. Kovalam, Kerala – Experience the splendid beauty
The popular and charming beach retreat of Kerala is a place full of bliss and happiness. As one of the best honeymoon places in south India in August, the state charms with its splendid beauty. Couples who are on their honeymoon in Kovalam can enjoy the serenity of the pristine beaches, dance to the sea rhythms and spend awesome time together. Monsoon i.e. June to August and winter i.e. November to February are ideal seasons to enjoy the glory of Kerala’s romantic beaches.
- For that ultimate romantic honeymoon: Take a stroll on the lighthouse while watching the sunset; relax and sunbath together; have a romantic candle-lit dinner with awesome sea food at Malabar café; and enjoy the thrills of kayaking and water-skiing together.
- How to reach: Nearest airport is Trivandrum International Airport and nearest railway station is Trivandrum Central Railway Station. Both are well connected to most major cities of India. Trivandrum International Airport even has direct flights from Colombo and Singapore.
- For a romantic stay: Kovalam has plenty of stay options including luxury hotels, budget hotels, guest houses and B&B places.
P.S: All tariffs given are starting tariffs per night.
Looking To Book Your Honeymoon Package?
Book memorable honeymoon on TravelTriangle with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.
2. Varkala, Kerala – For a secluded romantic escape
Varkala is soon becoming a popular beach destination among tourists looking for a secluded escape in Kerala. It has won the hearts of many newlyweds with its small strand of beaches, stretching along a laterite cliff and dotted with interesting shacks and shops.
- For that ultimate romantic honeymoon: Boating with your beloved at the Kappil Lake and walking along the Varkala beach, besides chilled out beach shacks and refreshing coffee at Coffee Temple – the most happening coffee shop at Varkala. And to pick some souvenirs, you can choose silver jewellery, beach dresses and accessories.
- How to reach: Trivandrum International Airport is closest to Varkala and on the railway line, Varkala Shivagiri Railway Station is the closest.
- For a romantic stay: Varkala is a tourist destination adequately characterised by innumerable stay options starting from premium hotels, low cost hotels to B&B places.
Suggested Read: 10 Beaches In Kerala You Should Visit For A Romantic Vacation
3. Bekal, Kerala – A honeymoon away from the urban bustle
The beach cum fort town of Kerala, Bekal is away from the hustle and bustle of urban jingles. In fact, it is an ideal romantic getaway for couples who want a mix of urban amenities and rural serenity.
- For that ultimate romantic honeymoon: Enjoy the stunning view of Arabian Sea from Bekal Fort at sunset, go for kayaking in Nombili River amongst tranquil backwater, and indulge in refreshing couples’ spa together at Rejuve.
- How to reach: Kasargod Railway Station is the nearest railway station to Bekal and Mangalore International Airport is the closest airport.
- For a romantic stay: Bekal has some amazing hotels for honeymooning couples. Even people with limited budget need not worry; there are many reasonable hotels as well as home stays in Bekal for you.
Suggested Read: 10 Best Places To Visit In South India In December 2018
4. Alleppey, Kerala – Romance the famous backwaters of Kerala
How romantic will it be when one of your nights is spent floating in the serene backwaters? Alleppey, known to be one of the best honeymoon places in South India is unimaginably beautiful. It offers excellent honeymoon options, especially with their luxury houseboats. If you can afford them, it is luxury redefined for starry-eyed couples.
- For that ultimate romantic honeymoon: Take a daily boat cruise at Vembanad Lake, go kayaking, and take a stroll on the Marari beach at sunset.
- How to reach Alleppey: The nearest airport to Alleppey is Cochin International Airport and railway station is Alleppey Railway Station.
- For a romantic stay: Enjoy Alleppey on a houseboat. Top houseboats operators in Alleppey like White Water Cruise, Rainbow Cruises, and Bright Water Houseboat, among others. Moreover Alleppey has many stay options ranging from luxury hotels to reasonable places and homestays. Choose as your wallet allows.
5. Kumarakom, Kerala – Escape, escape, escape!
A true honeymooner’s paradise, Kumarakom is a backwater area in Kerala – serene and enthralling. Relish the beauty of backwaters and Kerala villages while you two kayak in the water or spend your entire day in world class houseboat.
- For that ultimate romantic honeymoon: Add a dash of adventure to your honeymoon with kayaking. Relish and relax while viewing with the landscape on the outskirts of Kerala. A day in houseboat will complement your romantic mood while you enjoy your evening tea at the deck.
- How to reach: The nearest airport is Cochin International Airport while the closest railway station is Kottayam Railway Station.
- For a romantic stay: Kumarakom is ideal for all budget stay options; from inexpensive guest houses to premier hotels. You can go for houseboats from White Water Cruise, Rainbow cruises, and Bright Water houseboat. Go through best resorts in Kumarakom to learn more about luxury and budget options.
Suggested Read: Top 10 Honeymoon Destinations in Kerala
Planning your honeymoon but confused about where to go? These honeymoon stories help you find your best honeymoon trip ever!
Real honeymooners. Real stays. Real opinions to help you make the right choice.
6. Rishikonda in Vizag, Andhra Pradesh – For a dreamy honeymoon in South India
A rocky beach that overlooks lush green mountain sums up Rushikonda. It is a happening beach destination for couples who want to escape from the crowded Vizag city.
- For that ultimate romantic honeymoon: A stroll on the beach while viewing sunset is utmost romantic. However, the thrill in bathing in the sea with your life partner while surfing the waves is equally dreamy and exciting.
- How to reach: The nearby airport is Visakhapatnam International Airport while the closest railway station is also in Vishakhapatnam.
- For a romantic stay: Rishikonda is beach spot located very close to Vizag. Many people make it as a day trip.
7. Puducherry – India’s very own French colony
If you’ve been planning a Pondicherry honeymoon or a romantic vacation, but couldn’t execute it, do it now! This lovely French colony’s streets are prettified with local buildings washed in vibrant hues, as yellows. The French Riviera of the East, as it is also referred to as, will mesmerize you with its spanning shoreline.
- For that ultimate honeymoon experience: Walk hand in hand on the top beaches of Puducherry, such as Auro Beach, and Promenade Beach. Alongside this, explore Pondicherry on a bicycle; you can opt for private bicycle hire, or group tours as you please. There’s actually quite much to do in Pondicherry, read on this blog for detailed description of the best activities.
- How to reach: Puducherry Airport is a domestic airport, but has few direct connections. The airport is connected to Bangalore. However, you can also opt for Chennai Airport, which has better connectivity, but is 135 km away from Puducherry.
- Villupuram Railway Station is located 35 km away from Puducherry, and is the nearest one to the city.
- For a romantic stay: Lotus Bay View Hotel, Anandha Inn, and Villa Shanti are among the best places for couples to stay in Puducherry.
8. Kanyakumari – The southernmost tip of India
The southernmost part of India cannot miss being on the list of most romantic places to visit in South India. The destination is popular for one of the best sunset/sunrise view over the ocean. Unlike many coastal towns, this one is surrounded by Laccadive Sea from three sides. Not just the beach-loving pairs would love it, but also the ones who love hills can spend time around the Cardamom Hills.
- For that ultimate honeymoon experience: Get closer to nature while trekking in Marunthuvazh Malai. Reach Sunrise Point by 5:30 am, to witness an overwhelming sunrise view with the one you love.
- How to reach: Trivandrum Airport is the nearest airport to Kanyakumari, at a distance of just 100 km. The town has its own railway station, Trivandrum Railway Station, having fair connectivity with different cities and towns across South India.
- For a romantic stay: Hotel Singaar International, Hotel Sea View, and The Gopinivas Grand are among the best hotels for couples to stay on their honeymoon in Kanyakumari.
Forests and wildlife sanctuaries at top honeymoon destinations in South India
Forests have their splendor – a unique melody and sound of its own. Forests could be your pick among the best honeymoon places in south India if you and your partner are fond of greenery, wildlife, and peace.
9. Kabini, Karnataka – An offbeat honeymoon destination
Kabini is an offbeat honeymoon destination in South India – a forested area along the river Bank of Kabini, which is an important tributary of River Cauvery. Just 275 km from Bangalore, the drive is serene and thrilling through the Bandipur forested area. There are some utterly romantic resorts in Kabini that take you to an entirely different world.
- For that ultimate romantic honeymoon: Kabini is a peaceful retreat, not crowded and with ample opportunity to spend time with your beloved in complete composure. Hold hands while you walk along the banks of Kabini River, enjoy the setting sun and go for a relaxing spa together. We hope that it is enough to make your new life bloom with love.
- How to reach: Mysore Airport is closest to Kabini at a distance of 90 km whereas if you decide to travel by train, get down at Mysore Railway Station only.
- For a romantic stay: Kabini is an expensive place and does not have much hotel options for budget friendly trips. Few luxury and world class hotel options are: Orange County – Tariff is INR 29,700 per night; Cicada Resorts – Tariff is INR 18,000 per night; Water Woods Lodge – Tariff is INR 16,500 per night.
10. Thekkady, Kerala – Dream destination for newlyweds
The Periyar Forest Reserve of Thekkady, India’s largest wildlife sanctuary is a dream destination for many newlyweds. If is just perfect for them enjoy a honeymoon in complete tranquility, yet with some thrill elements.
- For that ultimate romantic honeymoon: Stroll in the spice and tea plantations and make it most memorable walk of togetherness. For thrill and ecstasy, go for jeep and boat safaris, go wildlife spotting, and try bamboo rafting in the river.
- How to reach: Nearest airport is Madurai Airport and railway station is Kottayam Railway Station.
- For a romantic stay: Thekkady has large options for the premium to the low budget hotels. Guest houses and homestay options are also in plenty.
11. Wayanad, Kerala – A tranquil honeymoon amidst natural beauty
The undulating and thickly wooded area of Wayanad is quite quixotic. Wayanad is a typical honeymoon destination in South India – a place to cherish the beginning of lifelong journey. It is one of the best places to visit in South India for honeymoon.
- For that ultimate romantic honeymoon: It will be blissful to go for river trail, spice plantation strolls, thick rainforest hikes and the Tushar Giri trek. The small hikes and treks together can be supremely romantic.
- How to reach: Calicut International Airport and Kozhikode Railway Station are closest to Wayanad.
- For a romantic stay: Along with innumerable homestays and B&B options, Wayanad offers many luxury to budget stay options for honeymoon couples.
Best hill stations for a dreamy honeymoon in South India
It is said that love and marital bliss multiply with the chill in the air. It is incredible to spend your honeymoon days at picturesque hill stations amidst the mesmerising surroundings and breathtaking sceneries. The beauty of the places will sweep off your feet when you’re touring the honeymoon spots in South India. There are some fascinating hill stations that make for a fantastic honeymoon destination in South India.
Suggested Read: 10 Wayanad Tourist Places For An Extended Delectation
12. Coorg, Karnataka – A hilly retreat for the lovebirds
Coorg is a hilly retreat for couples who simply love hills and their quaint beauty. This off-the-wall hill station, surrounded by coffee plantations is one of most fascinating romantic places in South India. The aphrodisiac aroma of Arabica coffee beans will drive you ultra romantic. It is one of the best honeymoon places in south India in July
- For that ultimate romantic honeymoon: Coorg is a heaven for honeymooning couples – not for a long list of activities, but for the calmness and serenity. Spend some intimate moments with your spouse while you:
- Trek through the spice plantations.
- Float in a coracle in Cauvery for some time.
- Pick your camera to capture the shots of rare birds and interesting flora.
- Visit Abbi Falls and enjoy the grandeur of the cascading water.
If you and your partner love adventure and want your honeymoon to be little thrilling, Coorg has a lot to offer like:
- Overnight camping amidst coffee plantations
- trekking in Tadiandamol and Pushpagiri, and
- rafting at Barapole.
- How to reach: Mysore Airport is adjoined to Coorg whereas if you decide to travel by train, get down at Mysore Railway Station.
- For a romantic stay: Coorg has mixed options for stay. As per your wallet, you can go for premium hotels, budget hotels as well as homestays. Coorgese families are renowned worldwide for their hospitality and cordial behaviour. Some such homestays are Coffee Trail, Casa Coorg, Madikeri Misty and Bird of Paradise.
Suggested Read: 10 Places to Visit in Coorg For a Memorable Vacation
13. Ooty, Tamil Nadu – Evergreen charmer for the romantics
Ooty is a romantic abode amidst the Nilgiris. The mountains stand as glorifying witnesses to the beginning of your loving married life. As one of the popular honeymoon places in South India, Ooty is unquestionably dreamy and magical.
- For that ultimate romantic honeymoon: Ooty is a popular hill station. But to make it romantic, the place offers some serene spots like Dodabetta to enjoy the views together with your beloved. Trekking through the winding hilly tracks, holding hands and talking about your future, laying on the sprawling gardens and orchards in arms of each other – what more romantic can anyone dream of?
- How to reach: Reaching Ooty is not at all a hassle from anywhere in India. Coimbatore Airport and Mettupalayam Railway Station are closest.
- For a romantic stay: Ooty has a plethora of options for stay. As per your wallet, you can go for finest hotels, inexpensive hotels as well as homestays.
14. Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu – Guarantees a fascinating affair
Kodaikanal is a charming hill station – a destination that will make your most awaited trip charismatic and fascinating. This could not be missed when listing the best places for honeymoon in South India! If you’re confused whether you should go to Kodaikanal or Ooty, check out this Kodaikanal vs Ooty for honeymoon blog.
- For that ultimate romantic honeymoon: Roam around the hilly area; visit Bear Shola Falls with your spouse; go for boating in Kodaikanal Lake and Berijam Lake; go for a serene trek at the Palni hills; and cherish some lovable moments at the peak – a must for the honeymooners.
- How to reach: Madurai Airport is adjoined to Kodaikanal whereas if you decide to travel by train, get down at Kodai Railway Station.
- For a romantic stay: Kodaikanal is ideal for all budget stay options – from inexpensive guest houses to premier hotels.
15. Coonoor, Tamil Nadu – Offers breathtaking views of lush green hills
Coonoor is a hilly getaway, and a romantic one of course, for couples who wish to spend some exclusive time with each other. This perfect honeymoon destination in South India is surrounded by lush green tea estates, narrow winding paths and over-the-top dreamy landscapes.
- For that ultimate romantic honeymoon: Apart from roaming around with your life partner along the plantations, make sure you visit Dolphin’s Nose to get a breathtaking view of the entire estate.
- How to reach: Coimbatore Airport is closest to Coonoor whereas Coonoor has its own railway station. Easy and hassle free to travel, indeed.
- For a romantic stay: Coonoor has some wonderful hotels for honeymoon couples, but people who have a limited budget need not be anxious. There are many reasonable hotels as well.
16. Araku Valley, Andhra Pradesh – Romantic bliss in the hills
Love birds who don’t want to rub their elbows with other couples and families should choose Araku valley as their romantic abode. This honeymoon place of South India is peaceful, less crowded and completely avant-garde.
- For that ultimate romantic honeymoon: Nothing much to do is the charm of the place. Take a peaceful walk down the deep valley and along the unknown hilly toe-dipping streams. You will enjoy the romantic bliss completely.
- How to reach: Visakhapatnam Airport is the nearest airport and Araku Railway Station is the closest railway station.
- For a romantic stay: Araku is not so wide in terms of stay options. Few homestays are there too.
17. Munnar, Kerala – A pristine honeymoon destination in South India
Pristine tea planted hills, winding roads, deep valleys and cool weather make Munnar a preferred honeymoon destination. It is true bliss and nothing short of a dreamland for those who have just tied the knot.
- For that ultimate romantic honeymoon: Munnar is one of the best honeymoon destinations in South India for it has a lot to offer to love birds. Stroll along the lush green tea plantations and gushing waterfalls, and head to the highest point to enjoy the bird’s eye view of the town. Though they don’t sound much but all these things when done with your partner add delight in layers.
- How to reach: Cochin International Airport and Aluva Railway Station are nearest to Munnar.
- For a romantic stay: Munnar is a famous honeymoon destination, hence has varying options for accommodation ranging from homestays, budget hotels and luxurious options.
While we have elaborated on 5 best honeymoon destinations in Munnar already, and for a comprehensive list, see 25 best hotels and resorts of Munnar.
18. Yercaud – Peace and nature’s splendour
A beloved hill-station in the southern India, Yercaud is perfect place to escape to for the couples who’re in search for tranquility. Yercaud is located in Tamil Nadu, and fortunately isn’t flocked by tourists. The picturesque mountainscape of this region is carpeted with sandalwood, silver oak, and teak trees.
- For that ultimate honeymoon experience: Spend an evening on the Lady’s Seat, and behold the sunset view along with the views of Yercaud’s famous spots, such as Mettur Dam. Also, a boat ride on the serene Yercaud Lake is highly recommended.
- How to reach: Salem Airport is the closest airport located at a distance of 38 km. Tiruchirapalli is another major airport, located 165 km away from Yercaud. The nearest railway station, Salem Junction, is located 35 km away.
- For a romantic stay: The Greenberry Resort, Hotel Dreams Paradise, and Grand Palace Hotel and Spa are recommended places to stay while on a honeymoon in Yercaud.
Historical places to visit on a honeymoon in South India
South India puts on a show for every kind of couples, if you both are someone who’re overwhelmed by the legends, here are some places you must visit on your honeymoon in South India!
19. Hampi – Wandering in the olden era
For the couples who love to turn the pages of history books, Hampi would be nothing less than a dream come true. This served as the last capital of Vijayanagara Kingdom, one of India’s most powerful rulers. The ruins have its history dating back to 14th century. There are about 500 monuments scattered over an area of 25 kilometers, allowing couples to lose themselves in the legends of past. The most exciting part about visiting Hampi is Hampi Utsav, which is held almost every year in the town.
- For that ultimate honeymoon experience: Take a boat ride on the Hampi river to reach Anegundi, to see the real laid-back Hampi. Don’t miss the sunset view admiration from Matanga Hill with your beloved.
- How to reach: Hubli Airport is the nearest airport from Hampi, at a distance of 144 km. If you’re traveling by train, deboard at Kariganuru Station, which is just 10 km away.
- For a romantic stay: Shanthi Guesthouse, Mowgli Guesthouse and Sloth Bear Resort are among the most ideal places for couples to stay in Hampi.
20. Mysore – The royal escape
Mysore is one of the best honeymoon places in South India, for the couples wanting a short escape to a place that’s all about royalty. The immaculately built Mysore Palace is a show-stealer for sure, and it’s a place you’d want to visit with your loved one.
- For that ultimate honeymoon experience: Spend some quality time birdwatching around the peaceful Karanji Lake, Karnataka’s largest lake. You both will fall in love with the city, if you go on a heritage tour visiting top architectural marvels, such as St. Philomena Church, and Jagmohan Palace.
- How to reach: Bangalore International Airport, at a distance of 170 km, is the nearest major airport from Mysore. If you’re coming by train, the city has its own railway junction, called Mysore Junction railway station.
- For a romantic stay: The Grand Inn, Ginger Hotel, and The Windflower Resorts and Spa are recommended properties for couples to stay, if they’re planning a honeymoon in Mysore.
Be it forests, tea plantations, river banks, misty hills or stunning beaches, honeymoon places in South India offer the best of beauty and serenity to newly wedded couples. Read some common queries answered before you book honeymoon tour packages:
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Which are the best travel destinations in South India which are not popularly known?
Skandagiri Hills, Halebidu, Papi Hills, and St. Mary’s Islands are some offbeat destinations in South India, which are perfect for a romantic escape.
Q: Which are the honeymoon places in South India in December?
Pondicherry, Kanyakumari, Munnar, Alleppey, and Coorg are amongst the top honeymoon places to visit in South India in December.
Q: Suggest the best place for honeymoon in Tamilnadu.
Tamilnadu has many beautiful places that a couple can go. For history lovers, Hampi is the best place. If you love beaches, go to Gokarna. Coorg is ideal for the couples who love hills.
Looking To Book An International Honeymoon?
Book memorable honeymoon on TravelTriangle with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.