One of the best times for taking a small break from your daily routine and planning a trip is during New Year. New Year’s Eve is all about spending quality time with your family and friends. There are lots of places in India that are perfect for celebrating the New Year. However, Kerala New Year celebrations are all about exotic party places that will make your day more memorable. Moreover, its winters in December in Kerala, making it perfect for exploring the rich culture and natural beauty of Kerala.
Kerala New Year is celebrated with much gusto and zest. Also, called The Malayalam New Year, this important event attracts tourists in large numbers from different parts of the world. To ensure that you have the best new year celebration in Kerala, we have curated a list of places to visit.
4 Best Kerala New Year Events To Attend
Here are some of the most happening parties and gigs that you can attend in Kerala this New Year’s Eve. See what all they offer and take your pick!
- Cochin Carnival
- Camp Above The Clouds In Vagamon
- Chorus Reflections 2.0 New Year Party – (Rating: 4/5 | Reviews: 71)
- New Year At Munroe Island
1. Cochin Carnival – A Fancy Extravaganza
Nothing less than a grand fair, the Cochin Carnival in Kochi personifies the true festive colors of the state. Hosted every year in the last week of December, Kochi new year party 2020 is celebrated on a grander scale. Kerala New Year party during the Cochin Carnival includes a wide range of sports events and competitions. Some of the interesting events during the carnival include bicycle races, marathons, beach bike race, swimming, boxing, kayaking, wrestling and much more.
Dates: 25 Dec 2019 – 1 Jan 2020
Location: Fort Kochi, Kochi
Things to do: Cochin Carnival is a total visual delight. You can take part in the procession, visit the concerts, dance to the tunes of rocking music at the scenic beaches or enjoy grand gala dinner offered by most of the hotels during the event.
Highlights: The colorful procession, unparalleled splendor of the event and the burning of the Papaanji, which takes place exactly at midnight is the major highlight of Kochi new year party 2020.
Nearby attractions: Marine Drive in Kochi, Chinese fishing in tranquil backwaters of Kochi, boating at Cherai Beach and visiting Fort Kochi are some of the most popular things to do in Kochi.
How to reach Fort Kochi:
- By Air: The nearest airport to Fort Kochi is Cochin International Airport at 37 kms.
- By Train: Ernakulam Junction is the nearest train station at 12 kms.
- By Bus: We recommend you to take a bus from Ernakulam Jetty to Fort Kochi for convenient and affordable traveling.
2. Camp Above The Clouds In Vagamon
Get away from maddening crowd and city chaos this New Year’s Eve. Wandering Ninjas is taking you and your travel buddies on a one-of-its-kind New year party set high in the hills of Vagamon. It’s time to surrender to the peace and tranquility of the lush Western Ghats and welcome 2020 in a refreshing way! Ride to Vagamon, party under the stars and over the clouds, and enjoy inclusions like jungle camping, trekking, visiting waterfalls, bonfires, delicious meals, and relaxing in verdant meadows.
Location: Vagamon, Kerala
Dates: 31 Dec 2019
Timings: 12:30 PM (boarding time)
Price: INR 3500 onwards
Highlights: Camping, trekking, bonfire
How to reach Vagamon:
- By Air: The nearest airport is Cochin International airport.
- By Train: The nearest railhead is at Kottayam from where you can get a taxi or bus for Vagamon.
- By Bus: You can get to Erattupetta or Kottayam, the nearest towns, and then a bus or taxi to cover the rest of the 25 km distance to Vagamon.
3. Chorus Reflections 2.0 New Year Party
With all that Chorus Reflections 2.0 promises to offer, it’s surely going to be one of the biggest New Year parties in Kerala this year. Brace yourself for a night of fun and excitement at the famous and ultra spacious HiLITE Mall in Kozhikode as they bring you the best ways to end this year. Witness staggering performances like the Gowrey Lekshmi Live, take part in a Fashion Show, dance all night long, hear Bangalore’s top celebrity DJs perform before you, let your children have fun at the Kids Zone, and gorge on delicious food and drinks before the final coundown starts!
Location: HiLITE Mall, T1, G1003, Kozhikode Bypass, Kozhikode, Kerala
Dates: 31 Dec 2019
Timings: 7 PM onwards
Price: INR 300 onwards
Highlights: Fashin Show, celebrity DJs, Kids Zone
How to reach Kozhikode:
- By Air: The nearest airport is Calicut International Airport.
- By Train: The nearest railhead is Kozhikode Railway Station and is connected to all cities in Kerala and all major cities in India.
- By Bus: You will find regular buses from major cities like Mumbai, Chennai, Kochi, and Bangalore to Kozhikode.
4. New Year At Munroe Island
Tucked near the calm and quiet village of Varkala, the Munroe Island is the perfect destination for a peaceful New Year party under the blanket of stars and in the midst of beautiful views all around. And we’re giving you just that! Here’s your chance to ring in New Year at the secluded yet stunning Munroe Island where you’ll be able to enjoy everything from camping by the river, watching beautiful sunsets, relaxing on the empty beaches, gorging on fresh seafood from the nearby joints, kayaking through mangrove forests, and much more.
Location: Munroe Island, Varkala, Kerala
Dates: 29 Dec 2019 – 1 Jan 2020
Timings: 3:30 PM onwards
Price: INR 6500 onwards
How to reach Varkala:
- By Air: The nearest airport is at Thiruvananthapuram.
- By Train: get on a train connecting Thiruvananthapuram to Ernakulam and get down at Varkala.
- By Bus: Many KSRTC buses from Thiruvananthapuram will get you to Varkala.
- Varkala to Munroe: Once you’re at Varkala, you can take a ferry to Munroe Island at a nominal cost.
7 Best Places To Visit For Kerala New Year Celebration
Blessed with scenic beauty, heritage sites, mouth-watering cuisines, mesmerizing beaches, shimmering backwaters, and rich flora and fauna, Kerala is indeed God’s Own Country. During the New Year party in Kerala, every nook and corner of the city is decorated with lights and you can witness several grand events and interesting parties. Here’s a list of the 8 best places to pamper yourself and give your family the joy of celebrating New Year in Kerala in an extremely interesting way.
- Thekkady: Witness The Unspoiled Serenity
- Munnar: A Lush Green Hill Station Flanked By Splendid Beauty
- Kumarakom: A Haven Replete With Luxurious Greenery
- Ponmudi: Replenish Your Spirits With Hiking And Trekking
- Wayanad: For Absolute Peace
- Thiruvananthapuram: Idyllic Holiday Destination
- Kannur: Best Beach Holiday Destination
1. Thekkady: Witness The Unspoiled Serenity
What is the best way to enjoy new year celebration in Kerala than an exuberant boat ride along the Thekkady Lake, cocooned in the lap of mother nature. Blessed with glorious views of the mountains and a pleasant climate, Thekkady is undeniably the best place to celebrate New Year in Kerala. Thekkady offers lots of opportunities for tourists to experience a thrilling holiday with their loved ones. Thekkady is also one of the most romantic places in Kerala and a sought-after honeymoon destination. If you have been recently married, then this is the perfect place to enjoy your honeymoon this New Year with your beloved better half.
Highlights: Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary, Mangla Devi Temple and avenue plantations around Murukkady, Odamade, and Vellaramkunnu are some of the major highlights you cannot afford to miss while celebrating new year in Kerala.
Things to do: You can either go on a jungle safari or enjoy a romantic walk along the plantations of coffee, pepper, and cardamom.
Nearby attractions: Boat ride along Thekkady Lake is certainly a popular attraction here.
How to reach:
- By Air: Madurai airport is the closest domestic airport at a distance of 136 km. Hiring a cab from the airport is the best way to reach Thekkady.
- By Train: Kottayam railway station is the nearest, located 114 km away. You can either hire a cab from here or board a state-run bus.
- By Bus: One of the cheapest ways to reach Thekkady from Cochin, Trivandrum, Kottayam is through state-run buses.
Suggested Read: 4 Days In Kerala: Best Places To Visit And Amazing Things To Do
2. Munnar: A Lush Green Hill Station Flanked By Splendid Beauty
Embraced by green meadows, tropical flora and fauna, mist-covered hills and breathtaking mountain ranges, Munnar is a perfect getaway for nature enthusiasts and the desired place for celebrating Kerala New Year. While you are in Munnar for a holiday, do visit the Munnar Tea Museum to enrich your senses with the rich aroma of flavoured tea leaves. You can carry home different kinds of tea leaves like cardamom and elaichi.
Highlights: Munnar is known for its unspoiled natural beauty characterized by a cool climate.
Things to do: Couples can enjoy a romantic walk alongside the tea plantations, Adventure lovers can visit the wildlife parks whereas foodies can savour traditional Kerala dishes like Kairali thali, fish in Kerala curry, spicy chicken fry, appam, idli, and dosas.
Nearby attractions: Munnar Tea Museum, Eravikulam National Park, Anamudi Peak, Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary and Mattupetty Dam are certainly the top attractions.
How to reach:
- By Air: From Cochin International Airport, you can hire a cab to Munnar.
- By Train: Ernakulam is the nearest railway station to reach Munnar.
- By Bus: There are plenty of state-run buses from Kerala and Tamil Nadu to reach Munnar.
3. Kumarakom: A Haven Replete With Luxurious Greenery
If you want to celebrate Kerala New Year 2020 at an amazing location, head to the banks of Vembanad Lake, Kumarakom. Delight yourself here in the mystical beauty of nature. Ideal for all kinds of travellers, this heavenly paradise is famous for soul-soothing activities like boating, angling, strolling and trekking.
Highlights: Different types of houseboats equipped with lavish amenities are a must-visit in Kumarakom.
Things to do: Bird watching, fishing, snake-boat racing, canoeing and cruising through the enchanting backwaters.
Nearby attractions: Vembanad Lake, Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary, Kumaran’s Akam Temple and Aruvikkuzhi Waterfall are a few close by attractions.
How to reach:
- By Air: The Nearest airport is Kochi Airport and from there you can hire a taxi or cab.
- By Train: You can board a train from Kottayam railway station.
- By Bus: There are plenty of buses from all parts of Kerala to reach Kumarakom.
Suggested Read: Trekking In Kerala: A Short Guide For Beginners!
Planning your holiday in Kerala but confused about what to do? These Kerala travel stories help you find your best trip ever!
Real travel stories. Real stays. Handy tips to help you make the right choice.
4. Ponmudi: Replenish Your Spirits With Hiking And Trekking
Perched at an altitude of 100 meters above the sea level, Ponmudi is a perfect hill station for the New Year celebration in Kerala. Exploring this beautiful hill station with your loved ones is certainly the best things to do this New Year. Ponmudi is one of the safest places for trekking and long leisurely walks. The entire hill station is flanked by colorful cottages, long wide roads lined with trees, green hills, and spice plantations.
Highlights: Calm and peaceful hill station blessed with picturesque views.
Things to do: Ponmudi is famous for Trekking and Hiking.
Nearby attractions: Agasthyarkoodam, Golden Valley, Meenmutty Waterfall, and Varkala are close-by attractions.
How to reach:
- By Air: Thiruvananthapuram International Airport at 67kms is the closest airport.
- By Train: Thiruvananthapuram Central Railway Station is 61 km away from Ponmudi.
- By Bus: Buses can be found from various parts of the city to reach Ponmudi.
5. Wayanad: For Absolute Peace
Want to experience the best of new year parties in India, head to Wayanad. Home to Asiatic elephants, tigers, egrets, and leopards, Wayanad is an exquisite place for adventure lovers. Surrounded by the Western Ghats, this hill station experiences cold weather in December, making it a perfect retreat for a New Year party in Kerala.
Highlights: Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary is the most visited place in Wayanad.
Things to do: Strolling in spice plantations, wildlife safari and boat riding on bamboo boats.
Nearby attractions: Some of the nearby attractions include Ekkadal Caves, Tholpetty Wildlife Sanctuary, Pookot Lake, Lakkidi View Point, and Banasura Sagar Dam,
How to reach:
- By Air: Calicut Airport is the nearest, located 65 kms away from Wayanad.
- By Train: It takes only 2 hours from Kozhikode railway station to reach Wayanad.
- By Bus: Plenty of buses are available from cities like Mangalore, Kochi, and Trivandrum to reach this exquisite place.
6. Thiruvananthapuram: Idyllic Holiday Destination
For best experience of Kerala New Year 2020, head to Thiruvananthapuram, the capital city of Kerala. It is one of the famous tourist destinations among travellers across the world. No vacation is complete without shopping and Thiruvananthapuram offers plenty of options to fill your bags with interesting stuff. Apart from jewellery and pure handmade cotton cloths, you can also buy spices, tea & coffee, handicrafts, and aroma oils at budget-friendly prices.
Highlights: Thiruvananthapuram is known for hosting the best New Year party in Kerala every year
Things to do: Shopping at Chalai Market, rejuvenate at Samudra Beach and sky diving at AMAS
Nearby attractions: Kanakakunnu Palace, Vizhinjam Lighthouse, Margi Theatre, Meenmutty WaterFalls, Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary, Indian Coffee House and Neyyar Dam
How to reach:
- By Air: Thiruvananthapuram has its own International Airport
- By Train: Thiruvananthapuram Central Railway Station is close by
- By Bus: There are regular bus services from Kochi, Kozhikode, Mangalore, Cochin, Bangalore, Madurai, Coimbatore, and Chennai
Suggested Read: Monsoon In Kerala: Explore The Coastal Gem Like Never Before!
7. Kannur: Best Beach Holiday Destination
Bordered by the mighty Eastern Ghats and a mighty sea, Kannur is a must-visit place for Kerala New Year celebration. The serene ambiance and the verdant palm plantations of this place makes it a top-notch holiday destination. Kannur is also appreciated for its surreal beaches and beautiful ancient temples.
Highlights: Kannur is home to some of the finest resorts and beaches making it perfect for a relaxing beach vacation.
Things to do: Banana Boat Ride, Trekking at Paithalmala, Bike Trip, Wave Runner, and Boating
Nearby attractions: Payyambalam beach, Thottada Beach, Arakkal Museum, Airoli Vadeswaram Maha Shiva Temple, Holy Trinity Cathedral
How to reach:
- By Air: the Nearest airport is Calicut International Airport.
- By Train: Kannur is well-connected through many railway stations.
- By Bus: Regular buses are available from different parts of the city.
Further Read: 10 Gorgeous & Famous Churches In Kerala
Kerala is one of the most happening destinations to ring in the New Year with your family and friends. Make sure you add these experiences and places for an awesome Kerala New Year celebration that will be the perfect end to a beautiful 2020! Book a trip to Kerala while you begin your countdown to bid adieu!
Frequently Asked Questions About Kerala New Year
A. Kannur, Thiruvananthapuram, and Cochin are the top three places to visit this December and celebrate New Year with your family and friends.
A. The weather is warm and cozy in December in Kerala, making it perfect for planning your holiday. The temperature ranges between 23 degrees Celsius and 32 degrees Celsius.
A. Kerala cuisine involves lots of coconut, rice, and tapioca. The mouth-watering dishes also include plenty of spices like black pepper, cloves, cinnamon, and ginger. Seafood like prawns, lobsters, fish, and crabs are the best in the country. Appam is the favorite Kerala food among the locals as well as tourists.
A. You can buy a wide variety of items in Kerala ranging from spices, tea & coffee, aroma oils, coir handicrafts, Cashews, and handloom saris. Kasavu Mundu is Kerala’s traditional attire with a golden zari.
A. Regarded as God’s own country, Kerala is known for its unmatched natural beauty, enchanting backwaters, pristine beaches, ancient temples, and coconut plantations.
A. Absolutely! Kerala is one of the best holiday destinations for a blissful vacation. Plus, it is one of the safest holiday places in India. Furthermore, Kerala has excellent public transport connectivity so traveling from one tourist place to the other.
A. Yes, you can plan a one-day trip to Munnar and visit the Tea museum, Eravikulam National Park and Mattupetty Dam. There are lots of resorts in Munnar to enjoy a comfortable stay.
Looking To Book A Holiday Package?
Book memorable holidays on TravelTriangle with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.